Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Screamin Demon Coil /cold Air Intake
I am planning on getting Focus Screamin Demon Coil and a AEM Cold Air Intake for the Ford Dealership that I work and I am wondering once this is installed how much HP will it add?

I was thinking around 5-8HP
coil and wires: 0hp
intake: 1-4hp?

Honestly coil upgrades aren't worth much....I wasted my money on this when I first got my car.... :(
hardk0re,Oct 26 2005, 09:45 AM Wrote:coil and wires: 0hp
intake: 1-4hp?

Honestly coil upgrades aren't worth much....I wasted my money on this when I first got my car.... :(
[right][snapback]151683[/snapback][/right]

How come when I research is says this

The Focus Screamin Demon Coil Pack allows spark plug gaps to be opened up to a huge .065"! This larger plug gap exposes more spark in the combustion chamber for a more complete burn of the fuel mixture which increases horsepower, gas mileage and keeps spark plugs cleaner. The Screamin' Demon Coil features brass terminals, which are more conductive and resists corrosion longer than the aluminium terminals on the stock coil. The Screamin' Demon coil mounts in the original factory location with no modifications.

Everything we read on the internet is true :lol:
Theres a reason they just put a writeup and not a nice dyno chart.
I think the 2nd or 3rd issue FF magazine did an intall of the live wires and coil on an SVTF and listed their "dyno numbers" after. Claimed 1 or 2 hp which was all at the top end of the pull IIRC. Hard to trust magazine dyno tests though.
I argee with you in big print they will say "gain 15 - 20 HP" and then somehwere in tiny tiny font it will say "Results Not Typical"

I want to spend about $300 what would be the best way to spend that and gain HP

I know someone will say Save your money and supercharge it

Any help
FastandFocusZTS,Oct 26 2005, 01:10 PM Wrote:I argee with you in big print they will say "gain 15 - 20 HP" and then somehwere in tiny tiny font it will say "Results Not Typical"

I want to spend about $300 what would be the best way to spend that and gain HP

I know someone will say Save your money and supercharge it

Any help
[right][snapback]151691[/snapback][/right]

Underdrive pullies
Intake
Cams
Exaust.

All great little bolt ons that gain power.
Intake and or throttle body.
Volant Intake
Cam Gears
Exhuast.

All fairly cheap and you will notice the results.

Figure if your lucky you may get 1HP for every $150-$200 you spend.
I have a few cars.

One for my dog.
One that has no roof.
One that looks good parked at the golf course.
One that is being rebuilt by a guy named Nero..... will it ever be done?
UDP is a great "$ per HP" item, but you can't run a S/C with one on the crank. In that case, use the alternator / power steering pulley sets. IF that's your goal... otherwise go nuts.

Wires clean up gas mileage and incomplete burn issues in conjunction with a coil. Response is increased some, and there's less fluctuation in power delivery at different RPMs due to an inconsistent spark. The most I've ever seen a coil pack / wire upgrade get was 2-3HP, and that was last issue of Focus Fanatic or the issue before it. That was a SVT with minor mods. So on a Zetec or SPI, the gains will be even less.

Intakes just make sense, whether they're Short Ram Intakes or Cold Air Induction intakes. You're letting as much air into the engine as it can muster without forced induction or nitrous. Always a good choice. Gains are 2-5 HP for the SPI and Zetec, SVT, depending on the intake, filter, and pre-existing mods on the engine.

Exhausts are the opposite end of the business, and also a solid choice. Good for 3-5HP for most popular models on most Focuses. FocalJet has a good exhaust shootout.

Cams are a more radical power adder. They add serious power, but they also cost serious money. A case I'm familiar with is the SPI... you could easily bolt on 25-30HP with a new cam gear, cam, and hardware set (springs, lifters, etc) but the cost is ~ $1000CDN. On the other hand, the 50% UDP from BDR is $109 USD, and they've dyno-tested it - it adds 10-12HP on average. For mild mods, guess which one makes more sense?

Porting your intake manifold to match your TB works, and porting your intake manifold to match your block works even better in tandem with it.

I guess it's worth noting that not all mods will actually help your engine make more power. Some can actually hurt it due to design issues (bad airflow / exhaust flow, etc). Your Mileage, as always, May Vary.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
As far as I know you can't get the sreamon deamon coil in canada unless you get it shipped from the states. I tryed to get it throught freedom ford in edmonton but they said that they couldn't get it because they woun't ship it up to canada. This was about four months ago so they may have changed that, I hope so because I don't know if I want to get the msd one but it is cheaper.
a coil pack is the biggest waste of money out there.
almost every tuner out there who works on the focus(FS, Mcnews, FocusPower, us, etc...) makes power with the stock coil. Tom is doing over 300 on many cars with the stock coil and over 450fwhp with his drag car.

don't waste your money on a coil pack from anyone.

best power gains come from this method of modding the focus...

exhaust, flex and then race header.
from there; intake, TB and UDP.
from there cams or a head package and a chip OR boost.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cold Air Intake Or Short Ram? SmokeBCBuDZ 12 3,545 02-08-2007, 09:06 AM
Last Post: zx5power
  Installed My Cold Air Intake.. focusonthis88 9 2,493 05-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Last Post: ANTHONYD
  Scream Demon qtgino 3 1,720 06-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Last Post: fokuz
  Custom Cold Air Intake FociS8nt 5 1,754 05-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Last Post: paulicat