Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Swap
What kind of motor can go into a Focus?? I know that mazda motors fit but is it worth it?
Turbo arrived!
Just go turbo.

Cheaper, more room to grow and you'll probably squeeze more power form the turbo Zetec for cheaper than doing mods to another engine.

[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
focusonthis_88,Sep 23 2005, 08:40 AM Wrote:I know that mazda motors fit but is it worth it?
[right][snapback]144155[/snapback][/right]

No. :rolleyes:
If you can get the motor for dirt cheap/free and put it in yourself then it may be worth it. You wont make as big a gain as if you would turbo your Zetec, but if you turbo'd the 2.3 Duratec you'd probably make some decent power.

If you're looking for a higher power base engine to start your mods with then it may be good, but it's not really a big bang for your buck swap.
The only viable engine swap would be the new Duratec 2,3L

And it must be a FORD engine... not the Mazda equivalent.

If you just love naturally aspirated engines this is your best choice. If you only want more ponies stick with your ZETEC and put a turbo / supercharger and enjoy !
got gas?
what bout a SVT Contour motor????
i got a buddy of mine that has a SVT Contour, that hasbeen written off and his insurance told him he can take anything he wants from it before it goes tot eh scrap yard!! :o

do u think it would be worth it to take the motor, tranny, and ecu and put it into a focus???? or is it worth it???? :D
If its free, yeah I would go for it.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
SDPZX3,Oct 21 2005, 07:13 AM Wrote:do u think it would be worth it to take the motor, tranny, and ecu and put it into a focus????  or is it worth it????  :D
[right][snapback]150627[/snapback][/right]

Talk to Mitch (ZX3TUNING), I think he had a hand in building the original yellow V6 "Beast" that used the SVT Contour V6. I remember him saying that it was a lot of work for what gains it gives you..

But if the motor is free and you're up for a challenge then I guess it could be a fun project.
it is a TON of work
you are looking ar a lot of fabrication work, making custom AC and Powersteering lines, custom motor mounts, you wil also need to build your own wire harness and basicly rewire the entire front half of the car, you will also need to source a 01 Cougar cluster that will run off the contour ECU.

in short you are probably looking at about 100hours of work to get it done if you have done swaps before and can solve problems that come up yourself.

the powergain, you are going to get is mimimal. the SVT contour is rated at about 200hp and 170lb/ft at the flyhweel from the factory. so for the time it woulkd take you or someone else to do this, you could get similar power from a JRSC w. BBK and sill have a setup you could take to a dealership for service and get parts for.

rad swap bacause the 2.5L Duratech sounds amazing when uncorked and can make solid power, but you need to do a lot of custom work to get more power out of it due to the engine not being made for our cars. all parts will need to be custom fab'ed which is not cheap unless you can do it yourself.
Flofocus,Sep 23 2005, 08:44 AM Wrote:Just go turbo.

Cheaper, more room to grow and you'll probably squeeze more power form the turbo Zetec for cheaper than doing mods to another engine.
[right][snapback]144157[/snapback][/right]

You can grab the first Roush turbo kit from Mitch for a smokin deal right now, unless someone else already has...
Work with what you have its cheaper and simpler at the end, and there is a solid aftermarket support for the zetec engine B)