Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spi Imrc Mod
This mod is fairly simple, I give it a 3-4 out of 10 for difficulty and 2 out of 10 for complexity.

What this mod does is permanently open the SPI's secondary intake runners so that low and midrange power is greatly improved. The SPIs have an almost-legendary "flat spot" where the engine really seems to sag between 2000-3500 RPM.

Here's what you do:

With a cool engine (MUCH EASIER, TRUST ME), locate the IMRC module just behind the coil pack. It's black as well as the coil pack. To make things easier to access the actuator and do the mod, remove your intake (regardless of creed) and airbox, and possibly your battery cover as well. I removed my intake but not the battery cover and managed to do this - YMMV. Also, don't forget to disconnect the negative cable from your battery, or batteries if you're l33t and have a massive stereo system y0!

It has one visible bolt at the top of the unit, and one hidden at the bottom on the opposite corner - right next to the potentially HOT EGR tubing. They're either 8mm or 10mm bolt heads, I can't remember which right now. You'll need to remove both bolts. Go ahead, I'll wait.

After removing both bolts, unclip the wire harness that plugs into the actuator the same way you would unplug the MAF. This detaches the actuator completely. Now, with this done, inspect the linkage arm for the runner control. You'll notice several tabs on the linkage. Working your way counter-clockwise starting with the linkage rotated ALL THE WAY CLOCKWISE (CLOSED), rotate the linkage COUNTER-CLOCKWISE so that the left-most tab is at the 12 o'clock position. This is all the way open for the butterfly valves in the intake manifold.

NOTE: IF YOU ROTATE THE LINKAGE ANY FURTHER (SAY, TO THE STOPPED POSITION ALL THE WAY COUNTER-CLOCKWISE), YOU ARE RE-CLOSING THE BUTTERFLY VALVES AGAIN.

I'm screaming that because the original Waterboy IMRC mod (on several forums and sites) told you to do just that. I "spoke" with Jim, aka Waterboy, a few days ago and he mentioned that that particular tab indeed needed to be pointing at 12 o'clock.

Once you've done that, you can zip-tie or otherwise secure the butterfly valve linkage to that position, and you're done! HURRAY!

Now, what about the CEL I get when I run the engine you say? Simple. Either re-attach the IMRC module to the wiring harness and re-mount it back from the actual linkage with spacers, or ignore the CEL - that's what I'm doing, because I'm lazy.

Don't forget to re-connect your negative cable, reset your time on the stereo, and drive the car for half an hour to remap the air/fuel map. I found that the SPI now scarily feels EXACTLY like the new Duratec 2.0L, including the increased balls down low and through the mid-range. Add in a good SRI or CAI and exhaust, and the SPI is movin' quite easily indeed. B)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
This is the kinda stuff we need in a sticky... How to's

05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
How-tos are back tonight if Cogeco fixes my f'ing feed :angry:

So far, 11:45 and no "we're on our way to fix your cable, please meet us at your residence" phone call. I'm not pleased :angry:

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I'm not sure if theyre going to post those how to's again nos... while you were gone i think the admin's and mods decided that all the how-tos on the site would be written and posted by members.

not sure if S2 wants us using his howto archive anymore.

That thread was probably deleted with the rest of them
05 Altima SE-R
I've spoken to Nate and Steve and informed them that the PDF'ed versions will be available tonight as long as Cogeco plays ball. That'll do for now until they decide what to do, so says them :)

Otherwise, I'll still mirror what needs hosting as bandwidth costs money unless you're me and you have a big hammer to whack Cogeco with :ph34r:

scoobasteve,Aug 29 2005, 11:41 AM Wrote:This is the kinda stuff we need in a sticky... How to's
[right][snapback]136670[/snapback][/right]

It's in the works.
:)
all this new power is all good but my big question is gonna be...

how does this effect the gas mileage??
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
So far, it's not that much of a detriment... I watched the car eat through the last 1/2 of a tank before I filled today... BEFORE THE 20+ cent jump! EAT ME GAS COMPANIES!

Anyways, it's minute. I'd say you might lose 20KMs/tank in the city.

NOS2Go4Me,Aug 31 2005, 06:54 PM Wrote:So far, it's not that much of a detriment... I watched the car eat through the last 1/2 of a tank before I filled today... BEFORE THE 20+ cent jump! EAT ME GAS COMPANIES!

Anyways, it's minute. I'd say you might lose 20KMs/tank in the city.
[right][snapback]137863[/snapback][/right]

you use more with your newly found lead foot
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
I worked it out to a cumulative 2MPG city decrease, but that's with the new SRI, intake manifold mod, and 16" wheel/tire upgrade. So in reality, not much. I'm still getting 27MPG in the city, or 10L/100KM.

NOS2Go4Me,Sep 6 2005, 11:54 AM Wrote:I worked it out to a cumulative 2MPG city decrease, but that's with the new SRI, intake manifold mod, and 16" wheel/tire upgrade. So in reality, not much. I'm still getting 27MPG in the city, or 10L/100KM.
[right][snapback]139367[/snapback][/right]

ahahaha! i get that in my svt!

SPI pffft lol.

now if the SVT would be as reliable ... as say, an SPI, i'd be happy
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Sep 6 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 6 2005, 11:54 AM Wrote:I worked it out to a cumulative 2MPG city decrease, but that's with the new SRI, intake manifold mod, and 16" wheel/tire upgrade. So in reality, not much. I'm still getting 27MPG in the city, or 10L/100KM.

SPI pffft lol.

[right][snapback]139516[/snapback][/right]
do you get 48mpg highway? i thought not :P
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
crazikev,Sep 7 2005, 09:35 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Sep 6 2005, 03:29 PM Wrote:

SPI pffft lol.

[right][snapback]139516[/snapback][/right]
do you get 48mpg highway? i thought not :P
[right][snapback]139990[/snapback][/right]
I get 45mpg on my duratec on the highway so ha :D
2005 Liquid Grey ZX3 RIP
http://members.cardomain.com/phantom66
Mods so far : Mazda 3 Wiper Arm, Shorty Antenna, Alpine CDA-9887 HU, 17" Enkei Evo6 Hyper Black Nexen N3000 215/45/17
2010 World Rally Blue Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I get about 42MPG with the slushbox @ 100KM/H.

That's after mods, tho. It doesn't surprise me one bit the newer engine is more efficient. :)