Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fc 65mm Tb.
I used the FC 65mm TB in my old automatic focus, now that i've switched over to the manual it seems like it catches and then opens up allot rather than a nice smooth transition that I had in my automatic when I had it installed...

Is this because of the manual bracket, should I have kept the auto bracket to use on this TB to eliminate this problem....

I'm not going to want this on my car if thats the way it works when installed on a manual....
hardk0re,Mar 22 2005, 11:07 AM Wrote:I used the FC 65mm TB in my old automatic focus, now that i've switched over to the manual it seems like it catches and then opens up allot rather than a nice smooth transition that I had in my automatic when I had it installed...

Is this because of the manual bracket, should I have kept the auto bracket to use on this TB to eliminate this problem....

I'm not going to want this on my car if thats the way it works when installed on a manual....
[right][snapback]95645[/snapback][/right]

Hey Man,

The FC 65mm TB's are notorious for that (on MTX trans), it's the way they are designed. I have one myself and it's a 'get used to it' sorta thing. You have to sorta relearn to drive with them.

Some have put some carbon or similar oiling on the spring mechanism but either way it's the way it is.

There is no MTX bracket included with the FC 65mm TB. The only bracket would be for an ATX. You don't want to use the ATX bracket on the MTX even if you could.
Mine only sticks when it is damp and cold (around -2C to +4C.) There are a few solutions pertaining to the adjustment screw where you turn it all the way tight then back it off half a turn (don't quote me, do a search on FF or Jet), but I have not yet tried it yet, so I don't know if it would work. There are times when it works beautifully, then there are times when it jerks like a bucking bronco. :iono:
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
I've completely removed that screw on mine, all it did was raise the idle and didn't really effect the 'touchiness' of the new TB. The throttle response is greatly increased and those know that the pedal gets a completely different feel. You have to get used to not pushing the gas as much when you leave the line.
It just seems a little odd that on the auto it works flawlessly(with increased throttle response) and doesn't stick and on the manual it sticks...

Doesn't seem like an issue on a NA car, but I when i'm boosted I'm not sure i'll want that kind of launch.. Especially with a small turbo that spools up real fast....

Guess if I cant solve it somehow its going in the F/S section :)
Yeah mine was real touchy when i first put it on too, but you get used to it or i think it went away on it's own not sure......

But i know for the first couple of days i was spinnin' my old stock wore out tires :lol: :lol:

And i know it felt like you'd hit the gas and it seemed like it wouldn't want to open then next thing you know you're at almost wide open throttle :blink: :huh:
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
If you step on it and it hesitates and than takes off than I think also it may be the tps. I'm not exactly quite sure what you guys mean on how it sticks. Also how big is the opening on the intake manifold???
Gee,Mar 23 2005, 04:51 AM Wrote:If you step on it and it hesitates and than takes off than I think also it may be the tps. I'm not exactly quite sure what you guys mean on how it sticks. Also how big is the opening on the intake manifold???
[right][snapback]95841[/snapback][/right]

If it does this, flip the TPS 180 degrees and that'll fix that, also a great trick if your idle is hanging.
Like Chad was saying, it is notorious on the MTX.

For me it does have to do with the "idler" screw. The way it is designed, the metallic idler screw sits on a metallic hammer (stops at the idler screw). After time, the idler screw starts a tread in the hammer.

The stickiness comes from the driver pulling the accelerator cable, thus pulling on the hammer. When you release your gas pedal to zero throttle the hammer comes back and is stopped by the idler screw quite violently. Thus making a tread in it.

Mine was resolved by grinding down the idler screw and hammer enough that the surface was flat and smooth again.

Of course, like Chad said..another solution would be to remove the idler screw completely.

Peace...
[Image: Copy2ofKarlitosig.jpg]
Vassili95,Mar 23 2005, 10:17 AM Wrote:Like Chad was saying, it is notorious on the MTX.

For me it does have to do with the "idler" screw. The way it is designed, the metallic idler screw sits on a metallic hammer (stops at the idler screw). After time, the idler screw starts a tread in the hammer.

The stickiness comes from the driver pulling the accelerator cable, thus pulling on the hammer. When you release your gas pedal to zero throttle the hammer comes back and is stopped by the idler screw quite violently. Thus making a tread in it.

Mine was resolved by grinding down the idler screw and hammer enough that the surface was flat and smooth again.

Of course, like Chad said..another solution would be to remove the idler screw completely.

Peace...
[right][snapback]95888[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I agree completely, thanks for 'technifying' my reply!

Either way even without the sticking feeling, the increased throttle response takes a bit of time to get used to anyway.
This is a quote from FF about the sticky TB:

Quote:" a week or two of driving I started to notice what felt like the gas pedal was sticking and was requiring me to "pop" the pedal. After that initial pop everything was smooth, but anytime there was no pressure and the pedal and the car was essentially at idle, that first press of the pedal had to be another pop to get by the stickiness. As it turns out, and after seeing some other people experiencing that sticky feeling, I decided to take a look around under the hood. What I found out was that the idle screw on the throttle body was completely "backed off" and not making contact with the "hammer" on the throttle body linkage. I could easily place a piece of paper between the two. Just moving the linkage by hand I could feel the stickiness in the linkage. I adjusted the idle screw out until it made contact with the linkage hammer(see picture) and then advanced it another 1/4 turn to push the linkage just enough to open the throttle a very tiny amount. After doing that, no more sticky pedal or throttle. "

There was also a link to a "myfordfocus" site but it does not seem to work for me:

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/65mm.htm
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
damn that sounds like it exactly....wow that will be amazing if that fixes it...