Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing A Tach
Hey Everyone

I want to install an aftermarket tach on my car. I haven't bought the tach yet but I have my eyes on a Ractive tach that is 3.5" in diameter. How exactly do you install these things? Should I just got Ford to install it or is it an easy install?
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
You'll need a tach adaptor...
http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showfla...0&page=0#277085

You can run off pin #48 coming out of the ECU harness under the dash, as noted in the article above. Many on FJ have done it and they work extremely well. The problem with the tach driver is two-fold: they're 75CDN or so new, and I have ZERO ideas about how to hook them up.

I'm getting a tach shortly as well, just ordered my first minor interior mod ever tonight... and the first suspension / steering mod comes next week.

I don't count the interior door handle covers as they were won in a contest... technically I didn't buy them, but they sure do look sweet. :D

Any other questions? :D
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Bah...that sounds like it might void my warranty. I think I will just let Ford install my tach.
why would it void your warranty? :unsure:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Jan 18 2005, 03:48 PM Wrote:why would it void your warranty?  :unsure:
[right][snapback]79434[/snapback][/right]

Ford said I can install intake and exhaust but I wasn't allowed to mess with engine internals or the ECU.
My filter ought to be in around Wednesday - Thursday. I'm gone to Suds for the day Friday (PAPA!) so I won't get to install it till the weekend.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
i'm pretty sure that by installing a tach adapter it well void your warrenty aswell seeing as you have to splice into the wires at the coil packs. So either way your warrenty could be gone depending on the dealer.

but i could be wrong.

If you want to go a route that MIGHT not void your warrenty there is a tach that is pretty simple to hook up. You just run a wire wrapped around on of the spark plug wires and thats all. I don't know how accurate it would be though as i've never tried it nor heard of anyone that has run it

Link
Below Average Car Club
schade,Jan 31 2005, 09:54 PM Wrote:i'm pretty sure that by installing a tach adapter it well void your warrenty aswell seeing as you have to splice into the wires at the coil packs.  So either way your warrenty could be gone depending on the dealer.

but i could be wrong.

If you want to go a route that MIGHT not void your warrenty there is a tach that is pretty simple to hook up.  You just run a wire wrapped around on of the spark plug wires and thats all.  I don't know how accurate it would be though as i've never tried it nor heard of anyone that has run it

Link
[right][snapback]82364[/snapback][/right]

Actually those equius tachs do the job well. My buddy installed one of those DIS tachs in his cutless an its dead on with the tach in his dash. I think that will be the way I go then to get my tach. Thanks for the info.
ThraxXx,Jan 17 2005, 05:03 PM Wrote:Hey Everyone

I want to install an aftermarket tach on my car.  I haven't bought the tach yet but I have my eyes on a Ractive tach that is 3.5" in diameter.  How exactly do you install these things?  Should I just got Ford to install it or is it an easy install?
[right][snapback]79300[/snapback][/right]

Why? what's wrong with the stock one? Are you getting the monster tach that I see on civics?
2006 Corolla - 1.8 DOHC 16V VVTi
2000 Focus SE Sport - 2.0 DOHC 16V Zetec - SOLD
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jaspher
http://ca.geocities.com/tdsports@rogers.com/home.htm
[Image: sig.jpg]
I dont think his focus has a tach.

Just get a tach driver and get some one who knows what there doing install it. You should be fine.