Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghetto Cai Ram Air
While others remove their CAI with worries of rain, i've put in an express lane ;)

<a href='http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/572000-572999/572202_25_full.jpg'>[Image: 572202_25_full.jpg]

When it does rain, I made a rubber insert to block the intake, it stays in pretty good and should hold. I haven't tested it yet but it should give me some more air.

Total Cost: $0
Total Time: 15 minutes

Its a pretty simple mod, not sure if there is any real benefit, but it will help keep maybe 70% of the rain from getting all over my filter and that was my main target. This ram air could turn out just to be a bonus.

I know this isn't a new idea, i've seen this done a few times before. But I did it me self :P

What kind of material is that?
It is Lexan, its some pretty tough stuff. I couldn't break it my bending it, jumping on a pice of it that was folded in half I could finally break it...

It should hold up well, not sure about when its below zero, but I plan on putting my ice man intake back on for the winter anyway.
Where you pick that up at?
Take a picture straight forward at the &quot;ram air&quot; part ...

Im pretty sure you could improve that design a bit
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
There is no &quot;ram&quot; part about this, The intake is going to suck in air at the exact same speed as it did before you put that funnel there. And more so the air doesn't travel fast enough through the funnel and into the intake to make it ram anything. Its just blocking the rain mostly from splashing up. And in essence you have limited the cold air that the intake can potentially bring in by blocking it all off, and bottle necking it with the funnel.

Wet days? Good idea.

Cooler days? I think you are limiting the air in a sense. noticable? Not much if anything.

Take a read on this:

Dispelling the myths about &quot;ram air&quot;
Run your car, not your mouth
I could have saved myself 10 minutes if I just read that yesterday......i'm not 100% convinced, its like finding out that santa doesn't exist :o

My main target was to keep the rain out since it rains so often. It unbolts in a few seconds so i'll just keep tossing it on and off as the weather changes.

Can you still take the picture i wanted to see? lol....
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
It makes a lot of logical sense, I believe it.

As for the rain gaurd you just made? great idea if u wanna keep ur filter cleaner I guess.... However, the amount of water needed for your engine to go into hydrolock that little raingaurd ain't doin sheeeyat... If you were in that much water anyway, ur plastic thingie ain't helping at all.
Maybe his car will be boyant now..... ;)

Huh huh .. explain that theory mr expert... :P
;)

u know as well as I do that some splats of rain isn't gonna cause his engine to go into hydro lock, his intake cone would literally have to be submerged, and if it ever got to that point, that sheet of lexan ain't doin sh1t
The guard is going to save me $$. Here is my theory, if the filter doesn't get soaked, its not going to get as dirty. If its not as dirty as quickly, i'm not going to clean it as often. If I don't clean it as often I don't use as much K&amp;N filter oil :)

I'll take a pick straight on..l8r today..,,
It is a pretty logical idea, Tony. A lot of water comes from under the car too, not just head on. Splashes on the road, pot holes, etc etc etc... This splash guard is going to protect against quite a bit. Granted, won't do s**t if he decides to drive thru a 2' deep puddle, but it's not as uneffective as you make it out to be. For 10 mins, and less than $20 for the lexan, I think it's a good mod.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)