Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "big 3"....who's Interested In The Gta
This mod improves the electrical system of the car. Who's interested:

Big 3 Link

I dont like their idea of adding another cable to the alternator power wire, there is a fusable link in that wire that will burn out if the current is too excessive. when you add another wire, you bypass that fusable link and leave yourself open to the chance of a fire if that wire is to become overloaded.

SVT Motor Swap into 2000 zx3 with 5spd.
14.9 @ 93MPH
"I am going to run 5's .... I am planning on installing a rocket engine!"
boost til'bust,May 30 2004, 11:1 Wrote:I dont like their idea of adding another cable to the alternator power wire, there is a fusable link in that wire that will burn out if the current is too excessive. when you add another wire, you bypass that fusable link and leave yourself open to the chance of a fire if that wire is to become overloaded.
Could you then add an inline fuse to the new wire? If so, at what rating?
2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
Ok, I just got home and checked my Haynes manual. It refers to an internal voltage regulator inside of the alternator - but makes no mention of any fusable link. The wiring schematic shows none either, and seems to indicate that the alternator is wired directly to the battery. WELL in the SPI engine it goes straight to the battery, in the DOHC it goes to the starter first.

So do we need a fuse or not? I am interested in finding out because I just did this mod on the weekend, and I don't want any fires!!! I would be happy to add an inline fuse for safety - just need to know what rating it would need.

2003 ZX3 French Blue; 25/35% tint; shorty antenna; apc clear corners; JVC MP3/CD HU; Sherwood 180W BP Series AMP; Alpine 11-band DSP with BBE processing; 4x Pioneer TS-A6870R 6" x 8" speakers; custom-made 4AWG engine grounding wires
look at the piece of wire right near where it connects to the alternator, thats the fusable link.

I will look to see if I still have my old battery cable, and I will take a pic tommorrow. My old cable has a MELTED fusable link, thats how I know there is a fuse link in that wire. My alternator gave out, burned the fuse link and my battery light came on. This was at the dragstrip right as I launched, I dont know if it had to do with the load or what, but it did melt the cable right at the fuse link.

if this fuse link wasnt there, there is a chance it could have overheated the wire, melted the insulation and started a fire.

I would recommend removing the additional power wire. I dont think you can use a fuse, I think they would burn easily, I think thats why they use the fuseable link. Its like a small section of wire that is slightly smaller gauge than the rest of the power wire, and it melts if it overheats from too much current.
14.9 @ 93MPH
Do you mean this thing? Because mine broke, and on the inside is two very thick pieces of metal. Each one is thicker than the whole wire attached to it (minus the sheathing.) Now I am starting to get confused!! I will go consult my Ford service cd...

<a href='http://img74.photobucket.com/albums/v224/xappie/Poscable.jpg'>[Image: Poscable.jpg]</a>
yea, right in that pic, see how it says fuse link on that wire?

the way I read those instructions, you were to add a wire from there to the battery positive terminal right? is that what you did?
14.9 @ 93MPH
boost til'bust,Jun 1 2004, 10:0 Wrote:yea, right in that pic, see how it says fuse link on that wire?

the way I read those instructions, you were to add a wire from there to the battery positive terminal right? is that what you did?
Yeah, I tried to, but the grey post broke so I took it off. I have my wires attached directly to the alternator now.

I am trying to get a replacement for that part, but it looks to be back ordered. When/if I get the part, will I be ok with attaching the upgraded wire along with the factory wire, or should I leave it as stock?
I would personally leave it stock. As I said, I had my alternator go on my car, and it caused the fuse link to melt, so I wouldnt trust adding another wire.

The extra grounds are ok, and may even help with the focus as they are known for having bad grounds.
14.9 @ 93MPH
How many people have done this mod and none have I heard have had their car catch fire. It has to be better to do this if everyone that does it notices an improvement!
MAlby7,Jun 2 2004, 03:44 AM Wrote:How many people have done this mod and none have I heard have had their car catch fire. It has to be better to do this if everyone that does it notices an improvement!
yes, and if everyone jumped off a bridge, I guess you would too.

I am not saying that the wire will cause the car to catch fire. It is only if your alternator craps out, and starts continually pumping out more voltage and current to your battery. At this point, since you will have bypassed the fuse link, the voltage will still keep flowing.

and your comment, everyone notices an improvement???? how so? what kind of an improvement?

14.9 @ 93MPH
boost til'bust,Jun 3 2004, 12:4 Wrote:yes, and if everyone jumped off a bridge, I guess you would too.
Mom told me about you types of guys...peer pressure bad ;)
Official s**t Disturber of Focuscanada.net!!!

PROUD FOUNDER of the Groß Oberlippenbart Klub
FWIW, my Haynes manual indicates that the alternator in the Focus has an internal voltage regulator with the sole purpose of preventing power spikes etc.

I will, however, be replacing my fusible link which broke during the install. Its about $24 from Ford so not too unreasonable. &quot;Better safe than sorry&quot; as my mom would say.
Hey.... does anyone know if the WIRE is the fusible link or if the grey post thing is the fusible link???

I've been trying to purchase a replacement for that grey post, and I was think IT was the fusible link, but now I am seeing that it is probably the WIRE that is the fusible link...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farewell, &quot;fatphocus&quot;... fatphocus 13 6,206 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  About To &quot;bite The Bullet&quot; oldeguy 3 2,548 09-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Last Post: ZX3_2NV
  &quot;i'm A Stranger Here&quot; Steve 28 11,699 06-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Last Post: thenorm
  Anyone Have Info On My Car, &quot;tantrik Zx3&quot; fatphocus 21 8,004 12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fatphocus
  Why Ford Sucks In &quot;north America&quot; ondafritz 45 21,964 05-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Last Post: oldeguy
  &quot;brainwave&quot; oldeguy 7 2,971 05-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Last Post: reldridge
  Odd &quot;watery Burble&quot; Noise At 2k In 1st? NOS2Go4Me 10 4,660 04-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Last Post: NOS2Go4Me
  Right Tire Jumps When &quot;spinning&quot; In 1st Gear(drag) G1rlZX3dRiVeR 22 8,321 03-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Mason
  Who Wants To Be My &quot;eibach Buddy?&quot; ZTWsquared 4 2,374 12-12-2006, 04:41 AM
Last Post: ZTWsquared
  2007 Ford Focus &quot;pzev&quot; Frost__2001 4 3,316 09-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Last Post: guilty