Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning Signal Release Question
My turning signal release has gone so now im left having to turn it off manually. I would have replaced it but the labour on it would be way to much. The question is would i have to disconnect the airbags in order to properly change the switch?
Life's good... Hockey's better
hyprlte,Apr 1 2009, 01:08 PM Wrote:My turning signal release has gone so now im left having to turn it off manually.  I would have replaced it but the labour on it would be way to much.  The question is would i have to disconnect the airbags in order to properly change the switch?
[right][snapback]284014[/snapback][/right]

IIRC the signal switch was the subject of a recall ... I had it replaced under warranty on 3 of my 7 Foci for the exact same reason ...

first thing you may want to do is check and see if by some miracle you're still covered for it (what year is your car anyway?) ...

and just looking at an exploded view of the steering column, it doesn't look to me like you need to disconnect the airbags to replace it, but perhaps someone on here has actually done the repair themselves and would know better.

BTW - a new switch is relatively inexpensive - well, at least in the US it is.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
it's easy to replace, if my memory is still correct the colum part is screwed together, but to remove the airbag and wheel it's just 2 nuts, make sure the car is off when you do it, also if you want to be overly safe disconnect the battery when you do it.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
ZTWsquared,Apr 1 2009, 07:41 PM Wrote:
hyprlte,Apr 1 2009, 01:08 PM Wrote:My turning signal release has gone so now im left having to turn it off manually.  I would have replaced it but the labour on it would be way to much.  The question is would i have to disconnect the airbags in order to properly change the switch?
[right][snapback]284014[/snapback][/right]

IIRC the signal switch was the subject of a recall ... I had it replaced under warranty on 3 of my 7 Foci for the exact same reason ...

first thing you may want to do is check and see if by some miracle you're still covered for it (what year is your car anyway?) ...

and just looking at an exploded view of the steering column, it doesn't look to me like you need to disconnect the airbags to replace it, but perhaps someone on here has actually done the repair themselves and would know better.

BTW - a new switch is relatively inexpensive - well, at least in the US it is.
[right][snapback]284031[/snapback][/right]

my car is a 2000
Life's good... Hockey's better

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turning Signal In Headlights hyprlte 6 1,902 08-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Frost__2001
  Turning Signal iceblaza 3 1,614 05-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Last Post: naz