Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water in the rockers
Where/how would it get in there? For the first time ever I heard water swishing around from what sounded to be underneath the passenger floor.

Got home, lay down underneath the car and I got water coming out of some holes that were factory drilled into the underbody.

Driver side is COMPLETELY dry, passenger side is noticeably wet. Near those holes, if I stick my finger in them (this is starting to get dirty) and shake it around I can feel water, and enough of it that it drips down my hand.

It's rained a lot over the past 2 days but I haven't driven at all... so where should I start looking for why there is water in the rockers/underbody?
any info on underbody coating?

mine seems to have either a ton of buildup or some rubbery stuff. I jacked the back of my focus up in the air so that it's leaning forward and yep, water's coming out of the rockers especially the right side.

it's not a ton, but it's some.

i looked underneath and couldn't find the rocker drains. but i can't figure out what is coated on the bottom of my focus.
i found a spot that seemed to be where the water was coming from so I started picking away at the undercoating and ended up finding nothing underneath it.

all i found was these... parallelogram shaped holes that were filled in, about 1inch long and 1/4inch wide. There were a few of them but I didn't count em. Are those supposed to be the drains?
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
the puddle that has been dripping out, and still is. It hasn't rained here for HOURS and everything has completely dried up.
[Image: img0380fy.jpg]
the parallelogram I was talking about, where I picked away at the undercoating to see if the water was coming from behind it
[Image: img0382pl.jpg]
more pics of the parallelo's
[Image: img0384di.jpg]
you can really see it up close in this picture - are these the drains?
[Image: img0385ay.jpg]
I believe seeing a forum (somewhere) that was talking about how some Focuses had undercoating sprayed in such a way that the drains in doors and rocker panels were non-functional, leading to premature rust. One person's picture would show open holes, the next plugged by undercoating.
Pretty much what Moon said.

On the bottom of the pinch welds under the rockers (you can see them in picture 3-4)
there are little arched shaped slots with small holes in them, some are full of a sealant of some sort.
Run your fingers along the seem to find them then get a little thin screw driver or something similar and just open the holes up larger to free the water.
those arch shaped slots, is that what I took pictures of?
The pinch weld part look similar to the pic I uploaded, I did in photoshop so it's not the greatest pic.
The arched parts are about 12" apart from each other.

Attached Files
.jpg   Pinch Welds.jpg (Size: 40.04 KB / Downloads: 14)
oh ok, so... just to be clear, it IS those bumps I showed in the pics then! It is raining a ton outside right now so I'm not gunna go out there today and poke holes in the pinch welds but good to know!

Could/should I go to Ford and complain that the factory undercoating has caused the rockers to be clogged and see if I can argue them to do it? They did after all warranty/recall my from coil springs a ~week ago and the car is 8 years old lol
can/should I spray some oil inside the rockers just for good measure? just to maybe help slow down any rust that already starting to build up?