Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension mods for ZTW
Well it is time to change the shocks and struts on my 2004 ZTW. I want to keep the ride height close to stock. Is it practical to use the SVT struts for the front? And if so what would be a good rear shock to match the SVT front struts?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
(04-30-2012, 09:50 AM)Toppossum Wrote: Well it is time to change the shocks and struts on my 2004 ZTW. I want to keep the ride height close to stock. Is it practical to use the SVT struts for the front? And if so what would be a good rear shock to match the SVT front struts?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

The wagon struts are already H/D ... but to answer your question directly yes SVT struts and springs is basically bolt on for your car. Having said that there are other strut options such as Street Edition and other special editions that are essentially the same as SVT although they do have a different part number. You'll find that most aftermarket struts lump all of them together and it devolves down to a single number, even though Ford might have 3 or 4 different part numbers to choose from.

For rear shocks you could go KYB or Tokico or even Ford OE - again the wagon rear shocks are H/D compared to sedan or hatch.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
[quote/]
The wagon struts are already H/D ... but to answer your question directly yes SVT struts and springs is basically bolt on for your car. Having said that there are other strut options such as Street Edition and other special editions that are essentially the same as SVT although they do have a different part number. You'll find that most aftermarket struts lump all of them together and it devolves down to a single number, even though Ford might have 3 or 4 different part numbers to choose from.

For rear shocks you could go KYB or Tokico or even Ford OE - again the wagon rear shocks are H/D compared to sedan or hatch.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I hadn't considered Ford OE, but it might be the way to go as I can get them on a dealer discount. Would either the KYB or the Tokico have any significant advantages over the OE rear shocks?

The reason I considered the SVT struts is that they apparently only lower the front about .5 inches. However if the wagon already has the H/D struts then the clearance shouldn't change. The wagon can get pretty loaded up with kayaks and gear on some trips and the H/D suspension is required.
(04-30-2012, 10:30 AM)Toppossum Wrote: Thanks for the information. I hadn't considered Ford OE, but it might be the way to go as I can get them on a dealer discount. Would either the KYB or the Tokico have any significant advantages over the OE rear shocks?

The reason I considered the SVT struts is that they apparently only lower the front about .5 inches. However if the wagon already has the H/D struts then the clearance shouldn't change. The wagon can get pretty loaded up with kayaks and gear on some trips and the H/D suspension is required.

The struts alone won't lower the car, you need to also replace the springs - and yes, the SVT springs will lower the front about 1/2" - but of course the back end of the wagon already sits up pretty high and it would be all that much more prominent if just the front was lowered.

Eibach used to make a Pro-kit for wagons (check my sig - you'll see I've had a few LOL) and I put it on all but two of my wagons; unfortunately Eibach doesn't sell the kit anymore but I believe the rear springs can still be purchased from Eibach as separate service items.

Below is my 07 wagon, built in December 06 - the last week they made Focus wagons. You can see the Eibach Pro-kit evened out the height of the front and back.

I get a discount too - however anything from Ford is much cheaper in the States and most aftermarket stuff too.

Which dealership do you work at?

[Image: IMG_4135.jpg]

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(04-30-2012, 03:31 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: The struts alone won't lower the car, you need to also replace the springs - and yes, the SVT springs will lower the front about 1/2" - but of course the back end of the wagon already sits up pretty high and it would be all that much more prominent if just the front was lowered.

Eibach used to make a Pro-kit for wagons (check my sig - you'll see I've had a few LOL) and I put it on all but two of my wagons; unfortunately Eibach doesn't sell the kit anymore but I believe the rear springs can still be purchased from Eibach as separate service items.

Below is my 07 wagon, built in December 06 - the last week they made Focus wagons. You can see the Eibach Pro-kit evened out the height of the front and back.

I get a discount too - however anything from Ford is much cheaper in the States and most aftermarket stuff too.

Which dealership do you work at?

Thanks for the information ZTWsquared. I will probably keep the stock springs. Lowering mine would lead to problems as it often ends up on roads that it shouldn't be on. Especially on fishing trips or when we go out hiking and the higher back end levels out once the wagon is loaded. Your wagon's ride height looks excellent and it probably handles excellently. Though I've never complained about the handling characteristics of the Focus. Before we bought it my wife and I had been renting small cars for long trips (about 1000 miles ) every month for about 7 months. We had tried every manufacturer and model that the rental companies had available at that time so that we could get a good idea of what we would eventually purchase. The Focus was the obvious choice. Great accessories, handling, and gas mileage. The only thing it lacked to me (not to the wife she likes the gas mileage ) was power. It has turned out to be an excellent car with very few problems.

I don't work for a dealership, however my niece does. Metro ford in Calgary. She is the one who sold us our Focus and our Ranger.

Thats where I bought my wagon way back in 2002 Are you in Calgary?
(05-01-2012, 09:43 AM)muttsnutts Wrote: Thats where I bought my wagon way back in 2002 Are you in Calgary?

Yep, I'm in Cow Town.
ZTWsquared is this the Eibach kit you used on your ZTW wagons? I found it listed in the current catalog on their website at http://web2.carparts-cat.com/default.asp...4=4&12=100

Suspension Kit, coil springs / shock absorbers
B12 Pro-Kit Eibach
Part number - E90-35-001-04-22

There were no prices listed, and I guess I would still have to hunt down a distributor in NA somewhere.

I may have to replace the springs as well as the shocks and struts, so I am looking at as many options as possible.

Thanks - Toppossum
(05-05-2012, 06:56 AM)Toppossum Wrote:
(05-01-2012, 09:43 AM)muttsnutts Wrote: Thats where I bought my wagon way back in 2002 Are you in Calgary?

Yep, I'm in Cow Town.
Your not the guy I sold a radio too a couple of years back and wrote off your previous wagon are you?

(05-05-2012, 09:43 AM)muttsnutts Wrote:
(05-05-2012, 06:56 AM)Toppossum Wrote:

Yep, I'm in Cow Town.
Your not the guy I sold a radio too a couple of years back and wrote off your previous wagon are you?

No this is the first Focus I've owned. Many many, fords, but only the one Focus. Plus I don't recall ever buying a car radio on a private sale. I have bought a lot of parts over the years, but no radio