Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doesn't Seem Right.... Throttle Body
I was re-install my stock airbox and tube and take a closer look at the TB. The inside is covered with oil dirt buildup. Is that par for the course on an '02 205,000km car? Can it be cleaned, it's seems the build-up goes all the way into the intake past the TB. Also, shinning an flash lite down the TB, I noticed it was 'wet', could be oil, i'm not sure. Is that normal though at the bottom of the intake to look like that?
It's just moisture from the atmospere, and yes it can be cleaned (TB cleaner in crappy tire)
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

hmmm, maybe wet isn't the right word, puddle seems more appropriate. Either way it's goes in Monday for an oil change and a 5k tweak. I'll have him look at then.
re-install the stock airbox? did u have a CAI before?
the vent line from the valve cover go to the intake, so it is probable that that vent gas carried over some oil into your intake. It does this on my car too.
'04 liquid grey ZX3 - my FSP auto-x car
'02 infra-red SVT  - my street car, now for sale
seafoam works alot better, and has multi uses.
yes, i had my Volant on for ages. I was putting stock back in when I noticed it.

thenorm,Oct 22 2008, 12:06 AM Wrote:re-install the stock airbox? did u have a CAI before?
the vent line from the valve cover go to the intake, so it is probable that that vent gas carried over some oil into your intake. It does this on my car too.
[right][snapback]275018[/snapback][/right]
j3rt,Oct 21 2008, 06:28 PM Wrote:I was re-install my stock airbox and tube and take a closer look at the TB.&nbsp; The inside is covered with oil dirt buildup.&nbsp; Is that&nbsp; par for the course on an '02 205,000km car?&nbsp; Can it be cleaned, it's seems the build-up goes all the way into the intake past the TB.&nbsp; Also, shinning an flash lite down the TB, I noticed it was 'wet', could be oil, i'm not sure.&nbsp; Is that normal though at the bottom of the intake to look like that?
[right][snapback]274982[/snapback][/right]

It should be clean and dry ... easy enough to clean it though and you should probably be thinking in terms of cleaning the MAF too ... whatever has dirtied up the TB has probably made it dirty too.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
ZTWsquared,Oct 22 2008, 08:46 AM Wrote:
j3rt,Oct 21 2008, 06:28 PM Wrote:I was re-install my stock airbox and tube and take a closer look at the TB.  The inside is covered with oil dirt buildup.  Is that  par for the course on an '02 205,000km car?  Can it be cleaned, it's seems the build-up goes all the way into the intake past the TB.  Also, shinning an flash lite down the TB, I noticed it was 'wet', could be oil, i'm not sure.  Is that normal though at the bottom of the intake to look like that?
[right][snapback]274982[/snapback][/right]

It should be clean and dry ... easy enough to clean it though and you should probably be thinking in terms of cleaning the MAF too ... whatever has dirtied up the TB has probably made it dirty too.
[right][snapback]275029[/snapback][/right]

What is the proper way to clean the MAF? I've never had one in a car before! :)
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
I had a similar problem with a CAI. If you can, get an SVT intake, it works just as well as a CAI and with a K&amp;N filter, just as clean.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....
Carb cleaner.
Spray liberally to parts.
Had the same thing with a stock AIRBOX. only 85, 000 km or so. :)) I only noticed it a month after a homemade SRI was installed. I don't think it caused that issue though over such little time. Cleaned it. We put a huge rag in there with my dad and cleaned everything we could.

The rag fell down the intake :S, but we got it out :)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  @#$%^ Throttle Body oldeguy 7 2,159 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Last Post: silvermist
  Throttle Body, Automatic oldeguy 18 3,974 06-20-2008, 02:02 AM
Last Post: oldeguy