Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Svtf Vs Petro Can Gas
Has anyone had problems with their gas? I'm hoping my current hesitation issues are just a result of bad gas.

In case anyone is wondering. The car was running fine, until I got gas at a Petro Can.
Someguy_ca,Feb 5 2008, 11:22 PM Wrote:Has anyone had problems with their gas?  I'm hoping my current hesitation issues are just a result of bad gas.

In case anyone is wondering.  The car was running fine, until I got gas at a Petro Can.
[right][snapback]257498[/snapback][/right]

could it be the DPFE?
I thought the DPFE was part of the EGR system, which the SVT doesn't have.

Edit due to brian fart. Could it possibly be the fuel filter?
yes it could be the filter, when was the last time you changed it??

one tank of really dirty gas can clog a filter up real good too.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
I've never changed it. So I guess it would be a good place to start, and I had planned on doing it soon anyways.
ya its a good start
i do mine every 20,000 kms

not too hard to do, to avoid having a ton of gas leak out when i disconnect the filter, i pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then start the car. let the car stall out, this depressurizes the fuel system. just make sure you prime the system before starting the car when you are done or it will be a very hard start.

you could start with some water remover or Methyl hydrate to try and get any water out that may be in you gas.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
I like Lucas's (ZX5focused) ideas... especially the changing of the fuel filter. I'm at 24k on mine, but bad gas will easily shorten the life of the factory filter... especially with tons of larger particulate in the gas from bad stations.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
ZX5focused,Feb 5 2008, 11:03 PM Wrote:ya its a good start
i do mine every 20,000 kms

not too hard to do, to avoid having a ton of gas leak out when i disconnect the filter, i pull the fuse for the fuel pump and then start the car.  let the car stall out, this depressurizes the fuel system.  just make sure you prime the system before starting the car when you are done or it will be a very hard start.

you could start with some water remover or Methyl hydrate to try and get any water out that may be in you gas.
[right][snapback]257528[/snapback][/right]

Just changed my filter last week, the difference is like night and day...pick up is so much better, i would highly recommend everyone stay on top of maintaining their filter.
I've used a number of different brands of fuel and found Shell Premium 91 octane to be the best for my SVT.
2003 CD Silver SVT Focus
#21 of 2173
I've put over 100kms on the car since posting, and the car seems to be running better after filling with Crappy Tire gas, in addition to adding some octane boost.
Someguy_ca,Feb 8 2008, 09:39 PM Wrote:I've put over 100kms on the car since posting, and the car seems to be running better after filling with Crappy Tire gas, in addition to adding some octane boost.
[right][snapback]257707[/snapback][/right]

That being said..... I usually ONLY put Chevron gas in my car and I can bet alot of you guys will agree. Yea...... you don't get points, but whats more valuable, your car running properly OR some points on your card :P
Loyal Focus Owner!!!
First: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
^^^points ofcourse!! douuugh :lol:

anyways just changed my fuel filter (again) and again it feels good....
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
**Update**

I'm not certain that it was the Petro Can gas, as the car is running like crap again.

Things done to try diagnosing the problem:

- Added fuel injector cleaner
- Changed fuel filter
- Checked spark plugs (3 and 4 felt hotter to the touch, than 1 and 2)
- Checked DSI clip, it looks fine, and isn't binding.
use better gas like shell
zetec crew #200
If you can chop your own wood you will warm yourself twice
Zetec: Its always on
Well I've been using Sunoco since the local station opened at its' new local.
Ok. I'm feeling rather stupid. After all the headache, it turns out a wire came loose from the coil pack harness. :rolleyes: