Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Used Oil Analysis Results Shell Rotella T 15w40
hey guys i thought you would be interested in this, since oil threads (synth vs dino, etc etc etc) are oh so popular...

rather than bench race with marketing hype and friend's friend's friend's opinion i thought i would bring some tech and get my oil analyzed by blackstone labs to see if it was in fact as a good a product as i thought it was.

this is off the shelf shell rotella T 15W40 'diesel oil' .. take a look at the zinc and phosphorus levels in the same.. they are much higher than the universal average (for all of blackstone's customers who send in oil samples) (those two are the anti-wear additives)

i always thought that heavy duty diesel oil was an awesome bang for the buck in terms of engine protection, and i'm glad the analysis results support that hypothesis

this is on a stock '02 wrx that is 'driven hard but not abused' ha... if the focus motor can use oil this thick (check your owners manual.. but i think it should...) you guys should consider this oil!

[Image: 20070829_wrx_oil_analysis.jpg]
Might be able to get away with it on Zetec based Focus, but the Duratec manual has 5W-20 semi-synth as the recommended oil...

I think 15w-40 would be like tar in the Duratec motor :ph34r:

NefCanuck
I'm not saying that I know everything but I'd think 15w40 would be to thick, especially when you first start the car up. Diesels use 15w40 due to the excessive heat they produce and need a thicker oil.I know that using 10w30 will void your warranty so I would only assume 15w40 would be asking for trouble??? Like I said I could be wrong.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
i guess if ford specially says only use 5W30 or 5W20, and goes a step further to offer a factory fill engine oil that is available to the consumer.. that is probably what you should use.
I will ask the lab at work if those additives are any benifit to a non diesel engine. I do know that a lot of the additives in diesel oil are there because of the high compresion and extreme tempatures generated in Turbo Diesel engines. Also as said above it also may be a bit thick for use in our engines. I will ask once I return from vacation. For those who don't know I work for Castrol.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Focus man, Focus.,Aug 30 2007, 10:52 AM Wrote:I will ask the lab at work if those additives are any benifit to a non diesel engine.  I do know that a lot of the additives in diesel oil are there because of the high compresion and extreme tempatures generated in Turbo Diesel engines.  Also as said above it also may be a bit thick for use in our engines.  I will ask once I return from vacation.  For those who don't know I work for Castrol.
[right][snapback]247975[/snapback][/right]

that would be good info thanks!

i have an EGT probe in the exhaust manifold near the #3 cyl in my sube's motor. at the track and in hard driving in the mountains the gauge reads 1550F.. i think that kind of temperatures are on par with what diesel engines see.. the oil also runs over the turbo bearing (just like turbo diesels).. i don't think a gas turbo engine and a diesel turbo engine is that different from a lubrication standpoint?

from what i've read diesel oils have a lot more anti wear additives than 'car' oils and they resist shearing down to a lower viscosity better than other dino oils (both of which would be good for gas motors too).. it doesn't hurt that is is $10/gallon either :lol: