Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Here Drive A Ranger?
As per the subject, does anyone here drive a Ranger? Specifically a newer one? I'm just curious what they're like as I'm thinking of trading in my Focus and getting one.
"No, my sons name is also Bort!"
I've owned 3, but older ones. All the guys i've talked to with newer ones love them...
2001 Sangria Red ZTS, Zetec 5-spd, key gouges on hood and passenger fender (thanks idiots!Wink

Drivetrain and chassis: CAI, Steeda STS

Interior and exterior: Blacked out sidemarker lens, blacked out tailights, blacked out 3rd brake light, de-badged, cobra 40 ch. CB, Sirius

VA3RBV, Basic class licence!
my mom has a 2000 model. Ford has not changed much on it since about 1998, when they changed the grille work.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
I know the newest ones come with a 5-speed auto as an option. If I needed a second vehicle, it'd be a new Ranger.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Cool thanks guys. The only thing I'm really worried about is the gas mileage on it. It's rediculously low even by truck standards it seems. It's advertised as 15-18 in the city and 12 on the highway! WTF?! I could be driving a full size $80,000 behemoth and get better than that. I could also be driving a Bently or Lambo with that mileage lol... I'll be doing more research before I actually do it, but I want to get a boat and the Focus won't pull it.

The other option would be to buy a second vehicle, but even if its a cheap older one I cannot afford this, nor do I have room to store a boat as well as a second vehicle... Unfortunately I'm poor and can only be a 1 vehicle person.
I drive a 2001 3.0l ranger for work and it is a pig on gas . If you get the 4.0l its even worse than a 5.4l in the f150s . Thats the only real downfall of the truck though. If you have a family its a little tight inside the cab but if you are single its ok. 2wd sucks in the snow also, you will need good snow tires.
[Image: style2,duratec-spc-power.png]
Yeah I'd be looking at a v6 4x4 model. I live in SK and driving in the winter with 4x4 would be an extremely welcome treat. But I've been doing some looking and some of the f150's have better mileage, so I might have to look at those too.
i looked into trucks very briefly when my buddies and i thought of getting dirt bikes. you could probably find a great deal on a used turbo diesel truck with 4x4 and manual trans.. seems like you could get a lot more truck for your money than a ranger?
naz,Jun 15 2007, 10:46 PM Wrote:i looked into trucks very briefly when my buddies and i thought of getting dirt bikes.  you could probably find a great deal on a used turbo diesel truck with 4x4 and manual trans.. seems like you could get a lot more truck for your money than a ranger?
[right][snapback]241487[/snapback][/right]

Do you have any suggestions? I don't know anything about diesel trucks.
I have a relative who owned a diesel truck.. Never again was his reponse.

The problem with a diesel is the cost of maintenance wipes out any savings you get from fuel costs. Especially if your buying a used truck. Glow plugs alone run approx. $150-200 each. Multiply that by 8! For the Ranger price tag, and I am assuming your looking at around the 18-20k area, the truck would be atleast 5 years old and have over 200k on the truck. Just remember, not everything on that truck is "diesel". Meaning the parts will start to break down at the same rate as a vehicle that is gas powered.

The Ranger, is a nice small truck. But don't expect great gas mileage. That, your not going to get. It is as bad if not worse than my full size truck.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Jun 16 2007, 05:00 AM Wrote:I have a relative who owned a diesel truck.. Never again was his reponse.

The problem with a diesel is the cost of maintenance wipes out any savings you get from fuel costs.  Especially if your buying a used truck.  Glow plugs alone run approx. $150-200 each.  Multiply that by 8! For the Ranger price tag, and I am assuming your looking at around the 18-20k area, the truck would be atleast 5 years old and have over 200k on the truck.  Just remember, not everything on that truck is "diesel".  Meaning the parts will start to break down at the same rate as a vehicle that is gas powered.

The Ranger, is a nice small truck.  But don't expect great gas mileage.  That, your not going to get.  It is as bad if not worse than my full size truck.
[right][snapback]241513[/snapback][/right]

My dad told me the same thing last night too about diesels. I don't know what I'll do now. I'll keep looking and maybe something good will turn up. For now, I might just buy a boat and use my dads old massive truck to pull it. His is bad though, like 10mpg in the city and maybe 13-14 on the highway lol. A weekend driving that would be spensive!

I suppose I don't HAVE to go with a 4x4... But if I get another truck (before Focus I drove a '95 S10 ThunderSS) it would be a welcome treat for our SK winters. But the 2 wheel drive ones are quite a bit better on gas too... Oh well, I'll let you know what happens if anything is purchased.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...=2&cardist=2607

this is the best i could find

i wasn't thinking from a fuel savings standpoint.. i was thinking more from a

'chip that sucker and made massive torque on tap'
:lol: