Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Exhaust Options
My 2000 zx3 has the original exhaust system and the flex pipe is beginning to leak.

I want to add a new exhaust that would potentional get me some performance gains but what I want most is sound.

There is a huge exception, I only want that throaty exhaust note under hard exceleration. In normal driving conditions I would like it to be as faint as possible.

Suggestions? The only mod I have to date is a SVT air intake.
I would like to get the SVT header and will also like to CHIP the car.

Thanks
Yellow 2000 ZX3 - Tinted Windows, SVT Air Intake, MBRP Exhaust, NewEdge Performance 2.25" Flex Pipe, Focus Sport UDP, SVT Bumper, Ford Racing 9MM Wires, K&N Filter, XCal2 ECU Upgrade, Shorty Antenna, Ported Throttle Body
190,000 KM (120,000 Miles) and counting!
Alot of guys on here run the MBRP setup from the cat back. Its a nice sounding system, not really noticeable unless you get on the gas.

Thats what i would suggest if you're looking for an upgrade over the factory.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

I have the Fosusport Stealth exhaust, I had a mbrp before this but switched because it was too loud w/ raceheader anyway.
Another vote for the MBRP. There's a neat little burble at idle, say when you're at a traffic light. Under light throttle it's more than bearable, and a 100 or even 120KM/H cruise is doable for hours on end.

When you hop on it, you'll LOVE it. Call MBRP and ask for Ed or Lorraine. They know their stuff.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I know mostly everybody here is gonna say MBRP.

I've heard it and it isn't what your looking for. Your looking for a deep/throaty sound? Borla hands down. You'll pay more, but its very much worth it.

Plus, I think you were thinking of going with turbo/supercharger at some point, right? The Borla will compliment the system very nicely.

When I return to Ottawa I can post a sound clip for you.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I have MBRP now but I say go for focussport Stealth or HKS if you don't want a loud exhaust.
JMS US spec front lip, Rieger R-RX side skirts, Rieger R-RX rear apron, European rear bumper, European tail lights, RPMlabs grill, Painted side mirrors cover, H4 HID kit, Lamin-X yellow fogs, shorty antenna, Loder1899 replica rear spoiler, weathertech window delfector, Injen short ram air box, FC UDP pulley, FC 65mm TB, Focussport race header, Focussport flex, magnaflow hi-flow cat, MBRP catback, SCT Xcal2, ford racing spark plug wire, Tein S-tech, FK Damper kit, Eibach rear camber kit, Focussport strut bar, Painted valve cover, TeamDynamic pro race 1.2 17", Kumho SPT 205/45/17, Hawk HP, brembo blank rotors, Russell SS brakelines, Motul dot 5.1, Recaro replica seats on Recaro seat base, KKM shift surround, In-dash 7" DVD player, Tein Damper-chi doll!!
The MBRP rules...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
MBRP, for the money it rocks the casbah... and it even makes a sedate sedan into a mean sounding SOB when you "drop the hammer" :lol:

NefCanuck
Flofocus,Mar 26 2007, 02:54 PM Wrote:I know mostly everybody here is gonna say MBRP.

I've heard it and it isn't what your looking for.  Your looking for a deep/throaty sound?  Borla hands down.  You'll pay more, but its very much worth it.

Plus, I think you were thinking of going with turbo/supercharger at some point, right?  The Borla will compliment the system very nicely.

[right][snapback]232041[/snapback][/right]

I second the Borla..It's 2.5" and with the turbo it's going to help alot.. Im changing my exhaust to 2.5" soon so.. Borla is the when to go!
2000 Ford Focus Roush Turbo & 2004 Focus sedan
Flofocus,Mar 26 2007, 01:54 PM Wrote:I know mostly everybody here is gonna say MBRP.

I've heard it and it isn't what your looking for.  Your looking for a deep/throaty sound?  Borla hands down.  You'll pay more, but its very much worth it.

Plus, I think you were thinking of going with turbo/supercharger at some point, right?  The Borla will compliment the system very nicely.

[right][snapback]232041[/snapback][/right]

I love my borla!

best exhast hands down it's deep and muted but sporty.. and it's one Focal jet's exhast shoot out!!!

the bends are perfect and the fit is awsome... the welds are quality...
[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!
Trubendz stainless 2.5" borla with magnaflow resonator, it sound great and it was cheap! http://www.trubendz.com They got a 3" kit too.
Civic's sucks!

SEX is like math: add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and pray you don't multiply!
euro,Mar 27 2007, 03:39 AM Wrote:Trubendz stainless 2.5" borla with magnaflow resonator, it sound great and it was cheap!    http://www.trubendz.com  They got a 3" kit too.
[right][snapback]232108[/snapback][/right]

That's exactly what I'm looking for, like u said great price.
But why the resonator? Did u find it too loud without it?

How many people use resonators? :blink:
Yellow 2000 ZX3 - Tinted Windows, SVT Air Intake, MBRP Exhaust, NewEdge Performance 2.25" Flex Pipe, Focus Sport UDP, SVT Bumper, Ford Racing 9MM Wires, K&N Filter, XCal2 ECU Upgrade, Shorty Antenna, Ported Throttle Body
190,000 KM (120,000 Miles) and counting!
Alec Brandon,Mar 27 2007, 03:36 PM Wrote:
euro,Mar 27 2007, 03:39 AM Wrote:Trubendz stainless 2.5" borla with magnaflow resonator, it sound great and it was cheap!    http://www.trubendz.com  They got a 3" kit too.
[right][snapback]232108[/snapback][/right]

That's exactly what I'm looking for, like u said great price.
But why the resonator? Did u find it too loud without it?

How many people use resonators? :blink:
[right][snapback]232182[/snapback][/right]

If you go with the Borla, I suggest a resonator. I have one and it is still pretty loud, even with a turbo & Cat muffling it a bit.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
See, that's where the MBRP is different. If you're not running a header, you won't need a resonator. You can cruise at quite the rip for hours without needing earplugs.

They're both good systems, it's just a matter of what approach do you want - deep and loud, or almost-as-deep and noticeably quieter.

As for the FJ mention, the MBRP fared about as well as the "top 3" and they've even moved to complete SS for all parts since the review. The review was a Gen 1 system.

I see that the MBRP rates 4dB higher at peak than the Borla, yet every clip I've ever heard of a Borla system sounds louder than the MBRPs I've had/heard. They're also rated at the same sound level for 4000 RPMs.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust Options For Me? S2 21 5,629 03-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Last Post: S2