Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drl-to-drf Mod
Has anyone done this for an 05+ Focus? I was leafing through the owner's manual, and a LOT of the relays seem to be different from the 00-04 Foci.

I haven't cracked the relay box cover yet, just looking for yay/nay votes.

Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I'll be checking this out this weekend on my new '07 ST which I'll be picking up tomorrow :)
I'll be back then ;)
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black
yes i have done it to my 05 zx5
the relays for the fogs and the drls are the same
E.O MASIV
05blackzx5,Dec 5 2006, 11:51 PM Wrote:yes i have done it to my 05 zx5
[right][snapback]218812[/snapback][/right]

Cool, thanks man. I'll be doing it this weekend then!

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
05blackzx5,Dec 5 2006, 11:51 PM Wrote:yes i have done it to my 05 zx5
[right][snapback]218812[/snapback][/right]

You checked into that after you saw my 02 with it done. I remember the day when I dropped of your floor mats and you asked why my front lights looked different.

1st mod for NOS!!! :banger:
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Yeah, it's looking that way! I had them on the 01 sedan and I loved it.

I got them on my ride as well. Its a sweet mod, changes the look of the Foci in the daytime forsure
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
is there any way to change the drls to the parking lights i cheaped out and got the base model no fog lights. hope to add a set soon
2.0duratecpower,Dec 6 2006, 06:15 PM Wrote:is there any way to change the drls to the parking lights i cheaped out and got the base model no fog lights. hope to add a set soon
[right][snapback]218922[/snapback][/right]

It would be possible, but not nearly as easy. Basically in this mod you're making a jumper from the DRL relay to the fog relay, telling the fogs to operate on the DRL circuit. This is really simple since both the DRL and fogs are on relays in the under-hood fuse box, but the parking lights aren't on a relay.. so technically you could wire them up, but it would involve running the wire from the DRL relay to the actual parking light wiring which could get a little messy.
so if you do that jumper from the drl relay to the fog relay are your drls in the headlights off. maybe a stupid question but just wanting to clear this up for myself
Yup, that's why we do the mod - it looks way better (IMO) and it saves you the pain of replacing a headlight bulb set earlier on. The fogs are MUCH quicker and easier to replace - you don't even need to lift the hood.

NOS2Go4Me,Dec 7 2006, 07:22 PM Wrote:Yup, that's why we do the mod - it looks way better (IMO) and it saves you the pain of replacing a headlight bulb set earlier on. The fogs are MUCH quicker and easier to replace - you don't even need to lift the hood.
[right][snapback]219096[/snapback][/right]

But you have to crawl under the car to get to the fog bulbs no? :huh:

As much of a PITA the headlight bulbs are on a Focus, I'm so not looking forward to crawling on my back to replace the fog bulbs when they die :ph34r:

NefCanuck
my fog housing popped right off from the front of the car, then the bulb can be changed easily. just had to reach in the back to release some kind of clip.

Neuf Canuck, its easy as it sounds.

BTW, anyone noticed Mo Focus's mods where he used the park or city lights as the drl? that is kinda cool how he did it.. it makes sense if you have hids or st-170s.
My other ride is your Mom
NefCanuck,Dec 8 2006, 10:58 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 7 2006, 07:22 PM Wrote:Yup, that's why we do the mod - it looks way better (IMO) and it saves you the pain of replacing a headlight bulb set earlier on. The fogs are MUCH quicker and easier to replace - you don't even need to lift the hood.
[right][snapback]219096[/snapback][/right]

But you have to crawl under the car to get to the fog bulbs no? :huh:

As much of a PITA the headlight bulbs are on a Focus, I'm so not looking forward to crawling on my back to replace the fog bulbs when they die :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]219187[/snapback][/right]

Ahhh, I totally see your point. I wholeheartedly recommend you recruit one of us or the dealer in that case. If you can comfortably squat down on your haunches... you've got it. Otherwise, no dice.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

The 2007 Focus at least (not sure about 2006, apparently 2005 is the same as 2000-04) can NOT do the DRL-to-DRF mod. The R12 and R13 relays are missing from the under-hood relay block. The fog relay is the same as the high-beam relay (so I'm not sure what the removal of the relay would do). The DRL relay has been relocated to the in-cabin fuse block. This effectively removes the ability to do the mod properly.

Until I figure out something else, this mod is quite dead. :(

^^^Thats not what I wanted to hear :o
I did take a look under my '07's fuse box and the relays are not there.
I was gonna look it up in the owners manual if they mention where it is but I guess you've found it incabin!
I'm definetly gonna be investigating this. I did this mod on my gf's '04 ZX5 and is simply awsome.

EDIT

R2 (motor side) is now the foglight relay and High Beam
R21 (inside) is for DRL
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black
i don't have stock fogs on my car but plan to add them so couldn't i wire them to be my drls since i have to run a switch into the cabin?
Unless they changed things for the 2005+ Foci, all the necessary wiring is already there. Doubly so as the fog relay is the high-beam relay.

All you need to do is to install the fogs into the factory harnesses, change the headlight switch to one that supports foglights and you're done.

I'd imagine that will even work for non-OEM lights if you're careful and connect them properly to the harnesses.