Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tach Install Question
Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure if it should go in appearance as its going to cosmetically enhance my interior or performance cuz now I will know what RPM I am shifting at.

Anywho..on with the question. I want to hook up a tach to my focus. I really don't want to go with the tachdriver because well...its 100 bux that I could spend elsewhere. Now my friend hooked up one of those 7" tachs to his honda however he ran the Tach Signal line to the guage cluster. He told me I could probably do the same. Has anyone done this? I know that the tachless foci's have the ability to adopt a cluster from a tach'ed focus as Nos4Me2Go did this mod to his focus already.

Any advice on this would be greatly apreciated. I want to attempt this hookup on thursday. If you are wondering...the tach I am installing is just a 2" tach that is currently mounted on my A pillar in a dual A pillar pod.
Join the Sedan Faction - You know you want to.
ThraxXx,Oct 22 2006, 08:28 AM Wrote:Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.  Wasn't sure if it should go in appearance as its going to cosmetically enhance my interior or performance cuz now I will know what RPM I am shifting at. 

Anywho..on with the question.  I want to hook up a tach to my focus.  I really don't want to go with the tachdriver because well...its 100 bux that I could spend elsewhere.   Now my friend hooked up one of those 7" tachs to his honda however he ran the Tach Signal line to the guage cluster.  He told me I could probably do the same.  Has anyone done this?  I know that the tachless foci's have the ability to adopt a cluster from a tach'ed focus as Nos4Me2Go did this mod to his focus already. 

Any advice on this would be greatly apreciated.  I want to attempt this hookup on thursday.  If you are wondering...the tach I am installing is just a 2" tach that is currently mounted on my A pillar in a dual A pillar pod.
[right][snapback]212882[/snapback][/right]

Pin 48 from the ECU harness is the tach signal feed. However, if you go to P+G or another wrecker's around town... installing a Focus instrument cluster with a tach is a much easier and cleaner event than the alternative.

I honestly don't know the best way to tap into the harness's pin 48 feed aside from a T-splice. Everything else is jury-rigged at best.

I believe Focus Hacks has the complete how-to, and it's in the complete collection of PDFs hosted from here as well in the How-Tos subforum.

Link to the How-Tos forum post with the PDF files: http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=16123
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
There is no "tach signal" at the cluster like your friend's Honda, our clusters use a different method to communicate with the ECU.

Pre-2005 cars, you can use Pin 48 to get a tach signal.

To find the correct pin.

Remove th ECU plug. Looking at the face, there are 4 rows of pin sockets, with a gap in the middle (for the screw)

Orient the plug so that the wire at the UPPER LEFT is a GREEN wire with a BLUE stripe. This is PIN 1

Pins are numbered LEFT to RIGHT -- LOOKING at the FACE
Each row has 26 pins
Row 1 >> 1 to 26
Row 2 >> 27 to 52
Row 3 >> 53 to 78
Row 4 >> 79 to 104

So pin 48 should be in the second row, fifth hole from the right.

Conversely, if you don't remove the plug, it would be the second row, fifth hole from the left if viewed from the back of the plug (where the wires go in).

Apparently, there IS no wire in this spot, so you'll have to jam a wire in there (nothing to t-splice into).

2005 and up need a tach driver. The how-to is here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=54447
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*