Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bah...clunking From Front....
So, had the car up on jacks today, wheels free of road. Pulled and pushed at everything to do with suspension/steering. Only thing I can find is the drivers sway bar link has some play in the bottom connection, about 1/32 I'd say, whereas the top and the passenger side one are tight. Springs look new (still have tags on), and nothing is loose there....I've had the car about 8 months, and this noise seems to be getting worse.
Clunking 'sounds' like it's coming from just under my feet, so I thought 'anti-roll/sway bar' (whatever you want to call it) but I can't move it at all, even with a steel bar and torqueing (sp) it.

Is it better to check this sort of thing with weight on the wheels? I could buy some ramps I guess.

The noise happens whenever I hit a little bump in the road...so it's most of the time lol :D (I live in MTL).

Thanks for any advise.

Scorp.
probably the endlinks, if theres any play at all...they will be noisy.

endlinks are very common on these cars.
SVT Motor Swap into 2000 zx3 with 5spd.
14.9 @ 93MPH
"I am going to run 5's .... I am planning on installing a rocket engine!"
Yeah, it's likely the swaybar end links. Tighten those up and the noise will probably go away. If you jack up one side at a time, you won't hear the noise since the links will be under tension from the bar being twisted.
The last time I thought it was end links it ended up being two broken front springs.

Are you still running the stock ZX3 front end?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Endlinks.

A pretty cheap fix from what I've heard. :)
Better off if it's them and not balljoints or something else...I replaced my endlinks with MOOG HD ones with greasable fittings for my SHM Sway...much tougher than stock...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Endlinks, with the car on jacks they'll be under load and you won't be able to simulate the click. Try finding an empty lot, then drive swaying side to side, if you get a clunk everytime you change direction you have your answer.

If that's it, get replacement ones from crappy tire, they are 500X better than the factory part.
Luke.

2002 Malibu Blue ZX5 "Malibloo" RIP 2006 Sad
2003 Liquid Grey ZX3 "Tarmac" Eurofried Rice

Tarmac.
Sorry for not getting back sooner guy. Thanks a lot, seems I'll look out for some sway bar end links then. I've heard they are pretty cheap.

Sorry Nos, I shoulda given more info...I have a 2000 Wagon :ph34r: I WISH I had a ZX3...lol...and no, no broken springs. They look quitte new, with the sales tags still attached.

Honkey....both wheels were off the tarmac...and I get no clunking wheen I swing the car about, just over bumps etc.

Cheers all, I'll let you know how it goes.

Scorp.
Well, six weeks later I finally get time to do the sway bar on drivers side, and guess what...NO MORE NOISE!!!

Well, I only took her round the block, but still over some bumpy road surface....feels like a new ride TBH. I'll take her for a longer run tomorrow....but I think it's cured

Woohhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooo :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys.. :D :D

Scorp.
I wish I was machanically inclined. I'd love to do my own.
ANTHONYD,Aug 23 2006, 05:07 PM Wrote:I wish I was machanically inclined. I'd love to do my own.
[right][snapback]203724[/snapback][/right]

Dude, grab some tools and go at it, only way to learn. Just remember the safety rules, and don;t 'hack' anything, and you'll be fine!!

Personally, I've been doing my own mechanics for years, but my Focus is the newest car I've ever owned, and she's 6 now...lol...big learning curve.
There is a lot more to her than my old Sierra's (Merkurs), and not as much room to work in the engine bay, but I still enjoy doing it.

Scorp
lately i have found that the LCA pinch bolts have been causing clunks in some front ends. thru me for a loop as it is a clunk when starting or stopping... usually a engine mount issue.
the LCA pinch bolts are torque-to-yeild so if over or under torqued can cause a clunck over time. or if the LCAs or ball joints have ever been replaced/removed, these NEED TO BE REPLACED or they will clunk or eventually snap if reused!?!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  clunking noise in front of focus mustanggt_50 10 3,560 11-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Last Post: mustanggt_50
  Well.....i Found The Clunking In My Front End... ANTHONYD 6 2,854 04-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drunkinmonkey
  Clunking On Front End.... ANTHONYD 13 3,382 07-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Flofocus
  Clunking Sound In Front End MAlby7 2 1,552 08-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Last Post: MAlby7