Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Gloss Paint Do I Use?
So I got myself a coupe style front grill that is primed in matte black. I think it will look a bit dull, so I want to apply a coat of gloss on it so it stands out a bit more, especially when the car is clean. I was looking on the Canadian Tire site and there seems to be quite a few options..

What should I go with?
2009 Focus SES Black Sedan Mods:

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
I guess we don't have painters here lol

FSWerks CAI / F2 Header (non-fouler mod) custom flex / 2.5" FSwerks Stealth Stainless exhaust / FSWerks X3 tune / Autolite 104's / Steeda Strut Tower Bar / FRPP 1.5" drop / FSWerks FLS Bar / H&R 24mm RSB / MOOG endlinks / AEM wideband AFR gauge / 8000K HID Bi-xenon 55W / Tint / 17" Ford Racing Rally Wheels in Black / Coupe tails / Black grille

124whp/129wtq
tetra,Sep 5 2009, 11:33 PM Wrote:I guess we don't have painters here lol
[right][snapback]293829[/snapback][/right]
Well I'm no painter - but here's what I learned when getting my grille painted (and one option I considered was painting it myself) ... best to use automotive colour and clear coat and best to have a flex additive when painting plastic.

I don't think I'd recommend doing a clearcoat over black primer ... I think you should use gloss black paint ... and then perhaps a clearcoat.

Most bodyship supply companies can mix up the appropriate paint and put it into an industrial size spray bomb for you ... costs quite a bit more than the Crappy Tire rattle cans, but apparently the results are much better.

Of course you can always go the route I did ... pay a bodyshop to do it. My results were awesome (totally factory looking) and so far no chipping, fading or any kind of problem whatsoever and it's been six months now.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
I agree with ZTW. I did my grill surround with canadian tire automotive clearcoat, several coats within the recommended time and then allowed to cure for over 7 days. It still chipped within a month.

If you're going to rattle can it, be prepared to wet sand and polish it otherwise you won't get a nice finish.

-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
if you are getting spray can from canadian tire, get universal black..
there is 2 type, 1 is with metallic in it and another one is gloss..

you cannot do anything with chipping..because spray can clear coat does not use catalyst in it to make it durable..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
tetra,Sep 5 2009, 11:33 PM Wrote:I guess we don't have painters here lol
[right][snapback]293829[/snapback][/right]

before paint

[Image: 000_0235.jpg]

and after

[Image: 000_0251.jpg]

I painted mine body colour to match my car, btw this is the st170 grille
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Well I don't have the grille in my posession yet. But it will be in matte black. Do you think I should just apply some clearcoat over it to make it shine a bit? I'm leaning towards this instead of painting it with black gloss and then clearcoating it. Think it would work?

124whp/129wtq
Not sure that you can just clean it & clearacoat it and have the clearcoat last.

I think you're stuck doing full prep/paint/clearcoat if you want a properly done job, but that just IMO.

NefCanuck
Ive seen a black 08 coupe with the grill painted to match, it was gloss black and it turned out very nice.

I don't mind the chrome on the grill, its the mirror caps that make me hate my car.
Let me know how yours turns out, :D
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
You might want to try Krylon Fusion for plastic if you don't want to pat $35 for a custom mixed can. Available at CTC for around $9.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Good call, I'll check that out.

124whp/129wtq