Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aem Cai
question for guys who runs with AEM CAI. Do you put an air bypass valve on? I'm thinking if I put one on my AEM CAI.
not needed unless you live in areas where there is flooding, or very deep puddles
better to have one on there instead of running the risk of sucking up water and losing a motor
Below Average Car Club
common thats half the fun of driving in the rain with the intake on.

I had my car bog down real bad in a automatic car wash, the sprayers went right in front of the intake filter, and man I had to play with the throttle for a while into she calmed down.

Well after thinking about it, Id say put it on, can't be too safe with Ford Motors.......LOL
I ran close to 80 000km without one and no problems.

Got caught in a few bad rain storms to.....little bogging but nothing crazy...Just a little moisture throwing off the Maf....

[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
It;s a 10 dollar part.

Strap one on and drive worry free.
Sell it and go short ram. Worries gone.

To really cause any damage you need to have the filter fully sumerged into water and at WOT. Thats directly from AEM when I called them.

How ever hydrolock sucks. Be sure to install the by pass in a propper spot else its useless.
not only that isn't there some sort of power loss by installing the bypass. I remember hereing something liek that before....
I've driven for many km's, and through the winter with the AEM CAI...no bypass, no bogging, just either avoided really deep or large puddles if possible, or just drove very slow through them, all with no problems.

Like the others said, it's upto you, and yes it's cheap to get one and put it inline between the filter and pipe. I wouldn't bother with a short ram...get the same effect from a stock airbox with the baffle removed and a K&N flat panel filter.
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I'd say install the bypass valve, even if it costs you a few WHP, I'd say that's worth it over the possibility of pooching your motor altogether. I went short ram since around here you can find some scary deep puddles (or they can find you) right on the street outside my condo :ph34r:

NefCanuck
I have been running the AEM long-tubed system for 10,000KMS.

I bought the filter just to be safe, it really isnt needed. It costs you 1hp (apparently)
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
It depends on where you live and a lot of other things. I elected to go short-ram due to the crazy amount of snow we've seen historically (and this year!) and ate the 2WHP difference or so. Not a big deal, really.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
Short ram in the winter/CAI in the summer....use your disrection in between...problem solved. ;)
I'd say put it on just for the fact you never know what kind of conditions you may come across.
Favorite Links:

Collegemates.ca
FocusCanada.net
Focaljet.com
FocusFanatics.com

"Getting older is mandatory, growing up is optional."