Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Is In The Shop..... Wierd
ok my car is in the shop for a timing belt, waterpump. They call me and tell me the belt is fine. Car has 111K and as far as I know the belt is original should I change it anyways or leave it be? he also told me that the Waterpump is not driven by the timing belt which is wierd, is it or not? hah.

I had them check a clunking noise I have in the front. He told me its the front stabilizer bar making the noise and that I should un lower the car cause I am going to ruin my front suspension etc... is this guy off the mark or does he have a valid point? He also said ball joints etc look to be fine.

the car is lowered 2" in the front 2.25" in the back ( eibach sportlines ) has anyone else had any of these issues with the front suspension?? and as far as I can see tire wear seems fine nothing that's out of wack.

Thanks

edit: it's the front sway bar links not stabilizer bar
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
i don't know where the water pump is located according to the timing belt, but in most cars the pump is located right by the timing belt. they usually change both at the same time because it reduces the cost of labour when you're timing belt does finally go. mechanics usually recommend that you do it since you're there. sounds fishy, but like i said i don't know where the pump is.
'02 CD Silver SVT
All the options
#3731 out of 4788

'85 Mustang GT
If any belt was on past 100K I'd replace that tout suite.

As for the stabilizer bars, I'll let the suspension gurus answer that one.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 29 2005, 08:09 PM Wrote:If any belt was on past 100K I'd replace that tout suite.

As for the stabilizer bars, I'll let the suspension gurus answer that one.
[right][snapback]158342[/snapback][/right]

yeah but the belt does look rather good... looks can be deceiving though but whatever it's a non-interference engine right??
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
timing belts should be changed every 100k kms like clockwork. the water pump does not need to be changed unless it is leaking or there is bearing noise/play.
check the tensioner and idler for smooth spin and replace as needed.
you *shouldn't* need to do the water pump or anything else but that doesn't mean that something isn't wrong.
usually on the 2nd belt change, you should also do the cam and crank seals.
Sway bar end links are a common wear item on a ford. Buy them and change them yourself. it's easy if you have a jack and 2 wrenches. On older 1.6 engines (the predecessor to the spi) the water pump is driven by the timing belt. The zetec is not and I'm not sure about the spi. It probably is though.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
Ok I want to do the links myself anyways but the weather is only getting colder so I might have to opt out of that.

would you change the belt if it is looking almost new, no cracks nothing. The car was purchased at the auction from Ford Row which is just off lease vehicles. The car had 65K on it. So I highly doubt that the belt was changed by them.

I was losing a lil bit of coolant and I pegged the water pump as suspect possibly leaking from the seals slightly. Cooling system was pressure tested and I need upper and lower rad hoses. Yay... I think these are DIY aswell.

So a recap. Car went in for Timing belt/water pump. Car comes out needing sway bar links and upper and lower rad hoses. WHo loves cars?! I do I do
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check