Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st And 2nd Gen Mbrp?
whats the diff. between 1st gen and 2nd gen mbrp exhaust? I heard the 1st gen was loud (92 db at 3000rpm).....but the 2nd gen is quieter....is this true???

what else is different or better about the 2nd gen over the 1st?

...and sorry being such a post-whore lately....its just that I'm really seriously planning on spending big money soon and since i know very little about cars (although now I've been learning quite a lot) i don't want to just blindly go into this.

Hey man, if you're going to pay $1-2K you'd better be sure you know what you are buying!
Be the change you want to see in this world.
There was a centering issue with the exhaust tip on the 1st gens that required some washers on either side to align it correctly.

If you check my blog, you'll see from my car and Oscar's car that the alignment problems are completely gone.

The exhaust gets loud at 3000 and again at 5000 (for me), but hey, at least it's not a Honda special that sounds like 50 gerbils smashing their way out of a coffee can. It's a good performance exhaust, some say the best for your money - period.

It did exceedingly well against "big dog" competition on FocalJet's exhaust shootout.

I'm completely satisfied with the product. As far as I know, so is Oscar.

You'll make more noise with a race header than you will with this exhaust.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I've got a 1st gen and I have nothing bad to say about it....sure the alignment at the rear was a little tough, but thats nothing that couldn't be solved. (i've seen worse with other exhausts).

Yeah, what he said^^^ :)

Plus the appearance of the two is different (the tip is different), and I think they used a bigger or different resonator too to cut back on the db's. Like I mentioned before, both are still gonna obviously be louder than stock, but I can tell you this too... It's only loud if you accelerate slowly upto 3500ish, and also a little bit loud if you keep the car in a lower gear, and cruise at about 3000rpm (think 60km's/hr in 3rd). If you accelerate hard, it's not as loud. With no other mods other than the exaust, at WOT, it sounds almost like sotck, just more agressive and deeper (and this isn't by a lot either). After you add things like a intake, it will really only change the exhaust tone a bit, and it's only slightly louder at WOT. Add a ported/larger TB, and it's a bit more agressive/raspy sounding at WOT, but sounds the same at normal acceleration.

The 1st gen tip had a angle cut tip that had a rounded edge, and a smaller insert in the middle of it. The 2nd Gen tip is straight cut, and is simply just a polished tube peice that's bigger than the tailpipe. No worries though, it still looks both classy, and understated. In fact, it looks like the exhaust on a Toyota Matrix XRS, only larger, and polished. There's no pipes, mufflers, or anything visable, just the tip that extends about a 1/4 inch out past the stock rear bumper apron.

One more thing, the Borla might have beaten the MBRP at say...FJ's shootout, but that's only because it generated slightly more HP, but at a price premium. For under $400, you won't beat it, period.

Oh yeah, it's nice to support CANADIAN enterprise too! B)
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
The HP differences were like 1-2 HP. I can get that just by running two different times on the same dyno and changing my shoes. Does that mean that it made a difference?

Even if the car is strapped differently your going to get variances....