Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aluminized Steel Tubing?
I was looking at getting a new exhaust for my XZ5. The FocusSport stealth exhaust looks nice. It says it uses Aluminized steel tubing. Anyone know what this is? Canadian winters are rough, I was wondering if it would rust out as fast as regular steel. There are other exhausts that are 100% stainless steel, mufflers and tubing. I may look at one of those for longevity.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Aluminized steel just regular steel coated in Aluminium? If so, all the rust-resistant properties of Aluminium apply. I know 2001ZTS had this exhaust on his Focus... better check with him :)
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
No.. no... no... no... NO.

You don't want it if you're keeping the car for any real length of time. It's just another factory exhaust replacement that's slightly bigger. It won't outlast anything at Crappy Tire. It's actually quite sad considering FocusSport sells some really nice Focus mods.

Go with MBRP if you want a good, actually cost-effective stainless steel solution. They're well-priced and they're solid.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
That's too bad. I wanted the stealth exhaust. I don't want a loud exhaust if I can prevent it. Anyone know if the Steeda stainless exhaust is any good?
I have the Focus Sport stealth on my ZX3 for almost 2 years now. I have the aluminized coating and it shows no sign of rust anywhere.

And Focus Sport gives you a warranty of 3 years if any potential rust shows through.

Definitively better than Canadian Tire... :blink:

N.B. Stainless steel can rust too, just check any non coated race header and you'll see what I mean.
got gas?
I got the magna flow and it's not to lound.
Turbo arrived!
the bare aluminized steel exhaust will rust eventually but slower than mild steel will. if you opt for the ceramic coating then it will last longer.... neither of which will ever come close to the longevity of SS though.
however, some SS ehxuats use mild steel flanges and the mufflers on other are only partly made of SS with mild steel filler used for the welds or the tubing inside the exhaust.
the bare aluminized steel exhaust will rust eventually but slower than mild steel will. if you opt for the ceramic coating then it will last longer.... neither of which will ever come close to the longevity of SS though.
however, some SS exhausts use mild steel flanges and the mufflers on others are only partly made of SS with mild steel filler used for the welds or the tubing inside the exhaust.

you have to remember nothing will last for ever unless you pay through the nose.... even then... :iono:

if you don't plan on keeping the car for more than a few years, get the exhaust that you want. if you plan on driving the car into the ground, get an exhaust that will last as long as possible!