Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yay! It Came
wow, good post rob.

Question for you turbo guys. What would be a good starting point for a turbo for my SVT. Looking to Make 260~280 fwhp. without alot of lag, but i also want something efficent that i can build on.

eventually i wanna have a little headwork done. so room to expand would be prefered.
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
P-51,Aug 24 2005, 09: Wrote:Flo, same deal.  People are stupid.  They thing Foci are crappy economy cars.  They fail to see that it is a brilliant chassis, and a very affordable starting point for a fast street/track car.

However, to me, FWD is a clear and distinct disadvantage in drag racing.  All you are doing is accelerating, and you lose the weight transfer benefit of RWD.
[right][snapback]135169[/snapback][/right]

I know Rob.....everytime I say to one of my co-workers what I drive and what I spend my week-ends doing, they look at me like Im on crack.

All i say is:" What do you drive? and lets go to the track"

As for drag racing....

I do it for fun and to see how my mods improve the car. I just started this year and I am hooked. I mean I could be doing it on the streets if yad like? :o :ph34r:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Rob, The "level" of track racing you are talking about is the same level of drag racing people here are at. It's amature racing, most cars are street cars as well. Therefore, a FWD is a good fit for track, as well as drag. Weight transfer can be countered by other things such as drag suspension etc. For track, it's just sometimes you have to slide around a corner and it's a little more difficult to do that in a FWD but it can still be done when the car is setup properly.

I think FWD is a good fit for most people whether they build a street/strip or a street/track car.

However, when you get to top level competition, such as F1, Nascar, as well as NHRA for drag, everything is RWD for obvious reasons.
Flofocus,Aug 24 2005, 02:28 PM Wrote:
P-51,Aug 24 2005, 09: Wrote:Flo, same deal.  People are stupid.  They thing Foci are crappy economy cars.  They fail to see that it is a brilliant chassis, and a very affordable starting point for a fast street/track car.

However, to me, FWD is a clear and distinct disadvantage in drag racing.  All you are doing is accelerating, and you lose the weight transfer benefit of RWD.
[right][snapback]135169[/snapback][/right]

I know Rob.....everytime I say to one of my co-workers what I drive and what I spend my week-ends doing, they look at me like Im on crack.

All i say is:" What do you drive? and lets go to the track"

As for drag racing....

I do it for fun and to see how my mods improve the car. I just started this year and I am hooked. I mean I could be doing it on the streets if yad like? :o :ph34r:
[right][snapback]135188[/snapback][/right]

Hey man, whatever floats your boat. I do it occaisionally too for fun or bragging rights (though I haven't been in years). And anything is better on the street. I'm just saying I don't understand guys who focus on it, build dedicated FWD drag cars. Or really, dont' even understand why sport compact guys care so much about it, considering their cars are MUCH better suited to road racing, autocross, or rally.

Hell, I can't understand ANYBODY'S fascination with drag racing. It's so one dimensional.

Scooba: I think the GT28R is a great little turbo, but 260fwhp is pushing it. GT28RS would be better, but you are starting to give up a lot of response. So it depends on what your goal is. If you want to go drag racing, go with a GT28RS. If you want to have fun on twisty roads, road courses, or autocross, scale back your expectations a little bit, and stick with the GT28R.
Thanks rob, is there anywhere in particular i should look at to pick up the turbo. I plan on building it up like flo did, slowly over the next year or two so i'm in no rush
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Aug 24 2005, 03:09 PM Wrote:Thanks rob, is there anywhere in particular i should look at to pick up the turbo.  I plan on building it up like flo did, slowly over the next year or two so i'm in no rush
[right][snapback]135209[/snapback][/right]

http://www.atpturbo.com has EVERYTHING you need. That's where I got my cast elbows from.
Start saving up now for the GT28RS turbo. There super good. Some guys are doing 300 marks with them.
Wicked! Thanks Guys

Haha, Maybe i'll get like 5 GT12's
05 Altima SE-R
scoobasteve,Aug 24 2005, 07:26 AM Wrote:Question for you turbo guys. What would be a good starting point for a turbo for my SVT. Looking to Make 260~280 fwhp. without alot of lag, but i also want something efficent that i can build on.

Don't do ANYTHING until we find out why mine blew. ;) :D

haha. will it take 1-2 years to find out whats wrong?
05 Altima SE-R
We should know by the end of this week, or early next week. :)
Good stuff, The way i see it is i need another 1 or 2 years for this bad luck to run out too. My alternator causes my car to break down enough. what will happen when i turbo it :lol:

I was reading about DJ's car. looks like he has some extensive port and polish work done. did he replace the valves, retainers, springs?
05 Altima SE-R
I think he might have larger valves... but I'm not sure. Nothing else that I know of...
awesome
05 Altima SE-R