Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transmission Starting To Take A Dump..
I think so, anyways.

1-2 shift is good and crisp.

2-3 seems ok also

3-4 it depends on what I'm doing. On normal roads, it sometimes shudders when it shifts. If I'm on the highway and I boot it a bit to pass someone, it seems like it disengages the gear, revs, and eventually hits the next gear.

I'm a bit overdue on a fluid change (checked the fluid yesterday, and its a bit off color and feels slightly gritty [never came across THAT before], but no noticeable burning smell, and not sure if the last time I had it changed that they replaced the filter). Think a clogged/dirty filter could be causing the problem?

I'm thinking of doing a fluid/filter change myself to see if that clears things up.

Yes, a swap would be nice, and I'm not in the market to get rid of my car and buy a new one with a 5 speed. But if you know of anyone who CAN do this sort of thing PROPERLY I'd really consider it because thats what I originally wanted but couldn't wait for one to show up at the stealership when I got this one.

Barring that:
If a fluid/filter change doesn't fix things and a swap is out of the question I want to rebuild it sooner than later -- any recommendations for a GOOD shop? I'm afraid of taking my car to anyone in the yellow pages because I'm very leary of going to a mechanic I don't know (read above on last fluid change).
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
torradan,May 21 2009, 08:35 AM Wrote:I think so, anyways.

1-2 shift is good and crisp.

2-3 seems ok also

3-4 it depends on what I'm doing.  On normal roads, it sometimes shudders when it shifts.  If I'm on the highway and I boot it a bit to pass someone, it seems like it disengages the gear, revs, and eventually hits the next gear.

I'm a bit overdue on a fluid change (checked the fluid yesterday, and its a bit off color and feels slightly gritty [never came across THAT before], but no noticeable burning smell, and not sure if the last time I had it changed that they replaced the filter).   Think a clogged/dirty filter could be causing the problem?

I'm thinking of doing a fluid/filter change myself to see if that clears things up.

Yes, a swap would be nice, and I'm not in the market to get rid of my car and buy a new one with a 5 speed.  But if you know of anyone who CAN do this sort of thing PROPERLY I'd really consider it because thats what I originally wanted but couldn't wait for one to show up at the stealership when I got this one.

Barring that:
If a fluid/filter change doesn't fix things and a swap is out of the question I want to rebuild it sooner than later -- any recommendations for a GOOD shop?  I'm afraid of taking my car to anyone in the yellow pages because I'm very leary of going to a mechanic I don't know (read above on last fluid change).
[right][snapback]287678[/snapback][/right]

I'm no expert ... but what you describe also sounds like the torque converter locking and unlocking (and more specifically locking/unlocking improperly) ... how many klicks do you have ... or is your car still in miles?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
omg u r having same problem as mine..

i have problem with reverse, it takes time..so ppl think i m driving manual..

next month, going to do tranny filter, fluid change..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Still in miles.. its at close to 54k miles now, so ~87k km.

Maybe I'll have to throw a Torque Converter into the mix if/when pulling the tranny out happens if that is indeed the problem. Budget is sort of tight, so trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

edit:
Just thinking.. torque converter acting wonky = possible lack of fluid going through it = clogged/filthy filter?
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
mine 85k miles..

i found out that trans filter and fluid has to be changed every 30000 miles..
i've never done that before, so i will try filter and fluid first..as my budget is also tight..
if this is not doing anything, gotta ddo manual swap or call lentech..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
I heard some ppl having problems with the Silinoids.
I haven't yet but Spinal has before on his dad's Focus.... I think???
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

my focus also just started to grind hard going into 3rd every other gear is good. i have no idea what could be the problem.

any one help my car i 5spt and has 195k
In Europe FORD is pronounced "\kwa-le-te\"

2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke/twin turbo/crew cab/XLT/4x4 Edge programmer, Cat and Dpf delete, mbrp exhaust. 650hp 850ft/tq.....
2002 red SVT sport'in European Appearance package rims, AEM cai, #4111 of 4788, ranger 12v plug cover, 4500k HID HI/LO, eibach springs, H&R 15mm wheel spacers. sold Sad
2000 yellow zx3 sold
1994 mazda mx3 sold
1992 ford festiva (RIP)
Jmountney1,May 21 2009, 03:21 PM Wrote:my focus also just started to grind hard going into 3rd every other gear is good. i have no idea what could be the problem.

any one help my car i 5spt and has 195k
[right][snapback]287732[/snapback][/right]

Same here especially when under load I had to granny shift it at the track way to many times. Just woundn't bang in.
DruZX3 You Tube Page
My Rides on Car Domain

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 - Daily Driver
2008 Lincoln MKX Limited Edition - Grocery Getter
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Rode and Sold
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade - Offroaded and Sold
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X - R.I.P. Electrical Fire
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 - Traded in Now DrunkinMonkeys Car
2003 Ford Taurus Wagon - Inherited Drove and Sold
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Turbo - Award Winning 336 WHP - Parted and Scraped
1990 Ford Festiva - My 1st Car

[Image: ZX3PixelCarEngineVIEW.png]