Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tb Prob/help
I recently put in a 65MM TB from focus central on my 03 focus. I heard the gas pedal is supposed to be really touchy how ever its just not fealing right and thought I would ask.

First of all. I used the 12 o clock and 6 o clock holes to hook up the TPS like Mitch and FC told me when I called them.

How ever before the TB the gas pedal seem like I could just tap it lightly and it would go. Now with the TB I tap it and it dont move at all. Its like I have to actually try and use some force to give it some gas. Once it goes its nice and smooth and super touchy with is good.

It just seems werid that the pedal is so hard to push now. Is that supposed to be right or am I on crack. My dad was wondering if the 1 step colder plugs would have anything to do with it. I highly doubt it but no harm in asking.
Ah, the re-occurring sticky FC 65mm TB problem. I have this problem occasionally, especially when its cold and damp. It's a pain when it sticks but when its working right it is the best feeling TB on the market. I have had the stock TB, Jackson Racing TB, BBK TB and the FC TB on my car and the FC feels the best when it's working. I was trying out the various TBs when trying trying to diagnose my JRSC problem with a vacuum leak that I thought was from the TB gasket.

There are various theories to why this TB sticks. Here are some below. Because my problem is intermittent and only occurs when it is cold and damp, I think it is due to the fact that the butterfly made of brass (I think) and the housing made of aluminum react differently with temperature restricting the opening causing the butterfly to stick when fully closed. Tap the gas hard to release the sticking and it works beautifully. Let off on the gas and it sticks. With all that TB swapping and adjusting that I have done in the last few weeks, the FC seems to be working fine now. It could also be the following:

This is a quote from FF about the sticky TB:

Quote:" a week or two of driving I started to notice what felt like the gas pedal was sticking and was requiring me to "pop" the pedal. After that initial pop everything was smooth, but anytime there was no pressure and the pedal and the car was essentially at idle, that first press of the pedal had to be another pop to get by the stickiness. As it turns out, and after seeing some other people experiencing that sticky feeling, I decided to take a look around under the hood. What I found out was that the idle screw on the throttle body was completely "backed off" and not making contact with the "hammer" on the throttle body linkage. I could easily place a piece of paper between the two. Just moving the linkage by hand I could feel the stickiness in the linkage. I adjusted the idle screw out until it made contact with the linkage hammer(see picture) and then advanced it another 1/4 turn to push the linkage just enough to open the throttle a very tiny amount. After doing that, no more sticky pedal or throttle. "

There was also a link to a "myfordfocus" which explains it:

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/65mm.htm

vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
I had that exact problem, and I adjusted the idle scew. It works awsome since then.
Ya it seems to be touching and making contact and it has been pretty dam cold here the past few days.

If I just turn the screw in a tad im hoping it well make it better then. Im glad I asked thow.

Thanks
hardk0re,May 2 2005, 07:20 AM Wrote:I had that exact problem, and I adjusted the idle scew. It works awsome since then.
[right][snapback]105856[/snapback][/right]

How did you adjust this????

I started a thread a while back asking that very question and got little help.

Thanks!
ANTHONYD,May 2 2005, 08:30 AM Wrote:
hardk0re,May 2 2005, 07:20 AM Wrote:I had that exact problem, and I adjusted the idle scew. It works awsome since then.

Thanks!
[right][snapback]105875[/snapback][/right]

I turned the screw about 1/4 turn forward(pushing the throttle forward just a touch). Once I did that everything was awsome....
It's the way it is Jay, extremely common, actually everyone has a bout of the 'sticky' FC 65mm when they get them.
hardk0re,May 2 2005, 09:31 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,May 2 2005, 08:30 AM Wrote:

Thanks!
[right][snapback]105875[/snapback][/right]

I turned the screw about 1/4 turn forward(pushing the throttle forward just a touch). Once I did that everything was awsome....
[right][snapback]105876[/snapback][/right]

I cant seem to find out what head the skrew is.

It's on the back of the throttle body right?
Its a philips head on mine, I used a socket driver with a philips socket and its easy to get at then...
I turned the idle screw a couple turns and its so much better now. Still idles correct just under 1000 so im assuming its all good now. Thanks.