Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awd Conversion
Anybody hear about this? i'm just curious as of how much this would cost, if anyone knows someone who has it, it would be well appreciated for some comments too
I think this was talked about before...for a focus to have awd, there would simply not be enough power...so in order for awd to work, you'll have to put in a supercharger or turbo....
2003 Focus ZTS Sedan - CD Silver - 2.0L ZETEC. Power Moonroof. Winter Package. 4 spd auto
2002 Mazda Protege ES Sedan - Sand Mica - 2.0L FS-DE. 4 spd auto

Toronto Protege Club Events Photographer
Toronto Protege Club Events Reporter
HUGE HUgE huge PITA.

I would suggest going rwd instead,

adaptor plate to mate zetec to T5 tranny are availible
you need longitudinal engine relocation
custom drive shaft
Jaguar X-type rear end
custom made rear suspension fitting
custom made transmission channel.

plus lots and lots of little things that you can only think of while doing it.

I thought about it seriously for a while and then the idea pass... which was better than doing it... :lol: :rolleyes:
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
It would be cheaper to but a Subaru and replace the Subaru badges with Ford ones.

Don't laugh..................Saab did just that exact thing!
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
2001 ZTS,Apr 13 2005, 11:59 PM Wrote:It would be cheaper to but a Subaru and replace the Subaru badges with Ford ones.

Don't laugh..................Saab did just that exact thing!
[right][snapback]101377[/snapback][/right]

The Forbaru Focreza ;)
2003 Focus ZTS Sedan - CD Silver - 2.0L ZETEC. Power Moonroof. Winter Package. 4 spd auto
2002 Mazda Protege ES Sedan - Sand Mica - 2.0L FS-DE. 4 spd auto

Toronto Protege Club Events Photographer
Toronto Protege Club Events Reporter
seriously andrew I was tempeted myself to actualy say it, but I holded off by respect for the board.

or like my coworker did today.... saab 'aru 9-2 in red...

B)
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
ya but a awd focus would be much cooler.
heres a stupid idea, buy a focus rs awd in europe, strip it down to the frame, ship everything over here in a few crates. then strip your current focus down to nothing but the frame and assemble the rs back together wiht your NA vin number.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
The RS is FWD isnt it? I dont think there are any AWD models available to the public anywhere..

It would be a cool novelty, but it would probably cost you as much as buying another car, plus the Focus you would dismantle. Cool if you have the deep pockets and/or skills to do it all yourself, but to pay someone to build it for you would be nuts.
guilty,Apr 13 2005, 10:56 PM Wrote:The RS is FWD isnt it?  I dont think there are any AWD models available to the public anywhere..
[right][snapback]101486[/snapback][/right]
right, i was thinking about that cosworht awd focus, yes and its only for deep pockets and to have the onle RS in North America.
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
the cosworth drivetrain would work well, as that's what's in the rally car. Mucho denero. The Subaru conversion has crossed my mind more that once, but a lot of fab involved. The hard points are just totally different. The T5 with an 8.8 would be cool for a rear drive. The easiest way to do it go AWD would be to use two engines and two automatic trannys. Evolution Inc. did it ages ago with a VW Golf and there was that Tiburon from Sport Compact Car's first Fastest Streetcar Challenge.

He put the front tranny in reverse and the rear tranny in drive and spun the car like a top for a couple of minutes: Completely ridiculous. :o
the focus that was swapped with a cosworth engine is from a Sierra.. RWD :P

pretty sure only the WRC focus is awd..
ZX3T gone..
Escape(awd) drivetrain will do the job B)
buy a STi or EVO

heck, by an old DSM

its much better than trying to make the focus awd unless you have buckets of cash and don't mind pissing it away to be different
heres what you want to see

focus rs converted to awd cossie :D

http://www.ayrshore.com/features/focusco...cossie.htm

the conversion would be crazy $$$ only 2001_ZTS could afford it lol :P

Any one wanting an AWD unless your out to do something different and got cash your better off getting a Subaru.
Plop the zetec in the rear. Wouldnt be 'that' hard. ;)

-Cut out the rear floor and make a new square subframe around the engine...
-Make mounts for that
-Rollcage
-Solve the couple suspension problems your going to run into (too tired to think about this right now, but wouldnt be that hard, even just buying new control arms and building a new sus. design)
-Re route everything. You would lose heat unless you took your time and ran *everything* back to the front.

In the end, it would take ~a couple months taking your time. Sadly though, your car wouldnt be much of a focus anymore, no interior, hardly any stock bracing back there either. Plus, the noise would probably drive you crazy.

Definetly would be a cool project though. Probably < 5 grand if you did it yourself.

Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
Or something like this

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spysh...d/focus-rs.html

DRyanC
2000 Black ZX3 (sold)
2007 Liquid Grey ZX5 ses (sold)
2007 CD Silver ZXW ses
2013 F150 crew xlt 4x4 blue flame
DRyanC,Apr 15 2005, 04:37 PM Wrote:Or something like this

http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/spysh...d/focus-rs.html

DRyanC
[right][snapback]101919[/snapback][/right]

Thats pretty sweet.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Why not go with the Kuegel Komponents 5.0 conversion setup, only using the existing 2.0 Zetec with adaptor plate in place of the 5.0? Here's what you do;
buy a writeoff Mustang with a T5 and 8.8 rear, sell off the 5.0 or 4.6 Mod motor and all saleable pieces from the 'Stang, use this money and the money from selling the Focus 5-speed transaxle to help finance the project. Have a few sets of motor mounts custom made to sell to the general population, keep one for yourself, write up a manual complete with photos and sell to all interested. I'm getting wood just thinking of this plan!