Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optima Battery?
I need to buy a new battery, because mine froze/died over the winter.

I've tried charging it a few times and it just won't hold! :(

So i was wondering is a Optima battery worth it?
Is anybody running with one in there car? How is it?
Should i go Red or Yellow top?

Thanx
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
it would depend if you have a stereo, then go for the yellow. they are pretty expensive batteries from what i heard.
'03 Focus SVT
In my opionion there all the same. Like how much extra HP does the Optima battery give you LOL. Its all about qaulity. I would hate to buy a cheap battery and have it blow up or what ever. If you stay around kown brands your you should be safe.

Best route i think it buy your self a good quality cheaper brand battery then paint your battery cover top... How ever Im saying the oppostie of what I would do LOL I myself would get the Optima LOL
Friend of mine with a kickass stereo in his truck just bought one, it's a yellow top so you know....
I was running a MTX RT2600 amp with two 10's in a ported box.

But i pulled it out for two reasons 1. the battery is iffy and 2. I was tired of it sliding around in my hatch.

So i'll probably go for the yellow top and not have to worry when i upgrade.

Thanx Guys!! B)

oh yeah, i went shopping around a bit today and i can pick one up for around $200
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
SL8RZZX3,Jun 18 2004, 08:34 PM Wrote:I was running a MTX RT2600 amp with two 10's in a ported box.

But i pulled it out for two reasons 1. the battery is iffy and 2. I was tired of it sliding around in my hatch.

So i'll probably go for the yellow top and not have to worry when i upgrade.

Thanx Guys!! B)

oh yeah, i went shopping around a bit today and i can pick one up for around $200
hey man

just be careful when shopping for yellow tops from optima they are NOT all the same...

ONLY the light grey cases are deep cycle....the dark grey cases are NOT

this is why you will see some places carry them for ~$200 ...those are USUALLY the dark grey cases

we sell the yellow top for $250, i've checked around, adn that seems to be the going rate everywhere for the ligth grey case yellow tops

and JAY

yellow tops DO kickass ...you can mount them upsidedown [not sure why you would], they are immune to vibrations, you can discharge them fully ~450 times without damaging the battery [try doing THAT with a regular battery], they are spill/maintenance free, 5 year warranty to boot!
Thanx Anthony i'll make sure to check for the case difference!

Is $250 before or after tax?

I was quoted like $202 from Oshawa's PI, i'm sure that was before tax.
And i found them at Sam's club for like $194, also before tax...................

but i'm not sure about the light or dark cases?! i wasn't paying that much attention

there was two different kinds of Red tops there though :unsure:
2002 pitch black ZX3

Classic Painting
Ive only heard great things about them too...
Dan, Your friendly neighbourhood asshole. Wink
I do installs and build FG stuff, pm me if you need help with anything. Im cheap.
Tis the reason why im getting one..
SL8RZZX3,Jun 19 2004, 12:22 AM Wrote:Thanx Anthony i'll make sure to check for the case difference!

Is $250 before or after tax?

I was quoted like $202 from Oshawa's PI, i'm sure that was before tax.
And i found them at Sam's club for like $194, also before tax...................

but i'm not sure about the light or dark cases?! i wasn't paying that much attention

there was two different kinds of Red tops there though :unsure:
if Oshawa quoted you $202 thats definatly the RED top..

but yea...price is before tax

this is the pt# you are looking for on the case to make sure it's THE yellow top you are looking for :

SC34DU
we sell them all day long for 199. u can get a red top at walmart now for 139 so you know.
Turbo Kit For sale. Bills SUCK.
bigman,Jun 19 2004, 08:03 AM Wrote:we sell them all day long for 199. u can get a red top at walmart now for 139 so you know.
:o who is "we" ??

thats a sweet deal if it's the same pt#
my shop. thats what we sell them for everyday. top post or top and side post. 750CCA.
that part # is the same that i have i think. top and side posts.
I finally picked one up! $224 with taxes at Sam's club.

Does anyone have an optima battery in their car?

Did you use the factory battery tray?

And did you have to extend any wires?

Any help or pics would be greatly appreiciated!
2002 pitch black ZX3

Classic Painting
work in mine just couldnt use the top cover. may need to extend a ground. unsure.
I had it in the factory tray, i just wasn't sure if i could close the hood.

It looked to close for me to tell. :unsure:

i'm thinking about picking up a relocate kit and put it in the trunk.

And as a bonus it'll give me some room to play with my shorty intake to try and get some colder air in!!! :D :D

Thanx for all the help!! :D
2002 pitch black ZX3

Classic Painting
The Optima Batteries are just Boat/Marine batteries with a different case design and a coloured top. You're only paying for their name on battery, not for how "awesome" they are. My uncle runs Sanford Battery in East Hamilton, and he actually sells optima batteries, but you can purchase a deep cycle boat battery for less money, and does the same thing, without paying for optima's name on it. So, in my last 2 cars, I had a deep cycle battery with like 1750 cold cranking amps, and I could run my stereo for upto an hour straight at high volume with the car shut off, and then still be able to start it. Just thought I'd mention that stuff 4U.
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Spongebob ran a optima blue top battery with the billet tray. It was going for 225 shipped off focaljet about 5 months ago. I have pictures somewhere....
Run your car, not your mouth

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Optima Redtop Battery ThraxXx 1 1,104 12-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Last Post: SL8RZZX3