Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotors for 2006 ZX5
I have an '06 ZX5 with 70k KM on it, need new front brakes. Planning to buy Hawk HPS pads since I liked them on my previous vehicles.

Driving is just normal everyday stuff... I'm just looking for improved braking performance over OEM.

I was doing some reading here and on other sites and it seemed to be the consensus that drilled/slotted rotors are a waste unless you are using them at the track, and many people recommend Brembo 'blanks'

Trouble is I can't find anyone selling Brembo blanks for an 06 Focus... Do these even exist?

I called up a few places (Part Source, NAPA, Carquest) to get prices for rotors they all seem to offer the 'generic' rotors for $55-75. I can get Motorquest 'OEM' from Ford for $79 - maybe that is what I should just get, at least it won't be any worse than what the car came with.

Thoughts?
(11-10-2010, 12:58 AM)plutoz Wrote: I have an '06 ZX5 with 70k KM on it, need new front brakes. Planning to buy Hawk HPS pads since I liked them on my previous vehicles.

Driving is just normal everyday stuff... I'm just looking for improved braking performance over OEM.

I was doing some reading here and on other sites and it seemed to be the consensus that drilled/slotted rotors are a waste unless you are using them at the track, and many people recommend Brembo 'blanks'

Trouble is I can't find anyone selling Brembo blanks for an 06 Focus... Do these even exist?

I called up a few places (Part Source, NAPA, Carquest) to get prices for rotors they all seem to offer the 'generic' rotors for $55-75. I can get Motorquest 'OEM' from Ford for $79 - maybe that is what I should just get, at least it won't be any worse than what the car came with.

Thoughts?

One Option is looking though the BAT website as they have a few versions of rotors and performance brake pads available for the focus, I had the drilled and slotted on my previous focus and I can tell you they were fine, better braking over all and a hell of a lot less break dust, but honestly I couldn't tell you the name of them as I don't remember, but I recall I got them from crappy tire when they had some sale on a few years ago on them.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
See current group buy for brakes including Brembo blanks:

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthr...?tid=18544
vintage 2000 malibu blue ZX3 ***SOLD***
2013 performance blue ST

TEAM P.I.T.A.
Dunno if I wanna wait till early Dec :/

Are Brembo Blanks really much better than the Motorcraft OEM?
When I did my 05+ front brake swap on my 02 I was really impressed with the quality of the OEM rotors. Very heavy but top quality. They haven't even started to rust yet and I did the swap in the spring. I also hear that the ATE rotors at Partsource are good aswell. Drilled and slotted rotors although disapate heat better will warp quicker, speaking from experience. Not great in commuter traffic. Just my thoughts though. I am sure there is more than one opinion on this subject.

Group buy FTW.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
(11-10-2010, 08:17 AM)plutoz Wrote: Dunno if I wanna wait till early Dec :/

Are Brembo Blanks really much better than the Motorcraft OEM?

Just a small point of distinction here ... Motorcraft is not exactly OEM ... OEM is what comes from the factory (and also the Ford Racing SVT conversion kits) - Motorcraft is Ford's version of a somewhat less expensive aftermarket service parts program; which is why Motorcraft has a completely different numbering system and also why you can buy Motorcraft at retail outlets like Walmart.

In some cases - spark plugs for example - Ford uses the Motorcraft part for installation at the factory - but not rotors.

Having said that - I think both Ford OE and Motorcraft rotors are just fine.

In terms of Brembo blanks they are excellent quality, but probably no better than Ford's OE. There is in fact the possibility that Brembo is Ford's OE supplier.

A better buy, and also an excellent rotor, is the EBC blank. I've tried Brembo blanks and every combination of slotted, dimpled or cross-drilled rotors by three or four manufacturers... for both street use and extensive track use and three things stand out for me:

1) between the rotor and the pad the pad is the more critical of the two in terms of how your brakes work,

2) I always get better results changing the rotors when I change pads,

3) I always get better results when I take care to bed the pads in correctly. That's why I prefer EBC frankly because of the special coating they use that almost forces you to do it properly.

Although they create a lot of dust, my stock OE SVT brakes on my ZX5 are a source of real joy for me, especially on the track (and surprises the hell out of the bimmer boys) ... but when it comes time to replace them I will be going with the EBC blanks and EBC pads.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(11-10-2010, 06:58 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: A better buy, and also an excellent rotor, is the EBC blank.

Thanks ZTWsquared. Is there anywhere in the GTA that I can buy EBC blanks for an 06 Focus? I googled the part number and only found US online retailers.

While I would love to take part in the group buy, I don't have the luxury of time.
(11-11-2010, 12:30 AM)plutoz Wrote:
(11-10-2010, 06:58 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: A better buy, and also an excellent rotor, is the EBC blank.

Thanks ZTWsquared. Is there anywhere in the GTA that I can buy EBC blanks for an 06 Focus? I googled the part number and only found US online retailers.

While I would love to take part in the group buy, I don't have the luxury of time.

Sorry - don't know anyone who stocks EBC here although I must admit that I haven't looked recently. Did you get the personal message I sent you last night? Where are you located?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(11-10-2010, 06:58 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: 1) between the rotor and the pad the pad is the more critical of the two in terms of how your brakes work,

Agree, and thats why i went with white box specials for rotors. i also use teh white box specials on my subaru and they've held up very well at the track.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]