Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tire sizing recommendation
Morning folks.

I'm finally coming to a point where I can start throwing some cash at the project car. I've been sidetracked as I needed new summer shoes for the Escape. Thankfully, that ordeal comes to an end this week.

So, on top of my other plans for the ZX3 currently (remove KW coilovers and install SVT front suspension, replace worn strut mounts and bearings at the same time), I was going to find it some Rota Slipstreams (in 16") and put on some decent rubber. Or, I may forego the Slipstreams and rock the OEMs. Also, hopefully a fresh-er engine is coming home with me at the beginning of April. Then, some serious buidling begins.

Now, I've driven my past two Foci extensively and I know that their handling responds well to tire width increases. If my math is right, I should be able to easily fit a 225/45R16 in the wheel wells with the SVT suspension. This would give me a 20mm wider tire and the same size sidewall as the stock 205/50R16 - according to the miata.net tire calc.

Has anyone else run this configuration in the past? I'm looking to stick with 16s for the survivable sidewall height on northern roads and the tire weight is pretty reasonable (23lbs for KDW2s). I could stay with 205/50R16s and have way more tire choices, but I'm not one for always running with the herd. Tongue

Fire away with your thoughts and ideas. All will be considered.

Thanks all. Smile
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
i always thought the stock SVT tire was a good size.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
You probably already considered this Adam, but anyway I think a 7" wide rim is too narrow for 225 ... if your rim is 7.5" and there are no other clearance issues, then I think it would look great. Having said that ... I think the width of the rim is just as important to good handling as is the width of the rubber ... or more to the point, properly matching the two is the way to improve handling.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
im running 225's on a 6.5 wide rim, however i plan to run a 7.5-8 tho in the future. 225 is a good width to go with, great for traction in lower horsepower applications.
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
Thanks guys.

Ken, I had considered nothing less than a 7" rim for the 225s. I'll double-check the widths available to me and go from there. I will definitely keep 7.5" in mind. I also posted up in the FS thread for the Slipstreams and tires shown therein. However, apparently I've blown the slave cylinder on the Focus (clutch) so I'm kinda screwed for now - rocking the truck exclusively till I get this fixed.

First order of business is to pull the existing front suspension and install the SVT front half. Then, start going through the steps needed to inspect the clutch assembly in further detail. Gah.

I was SO CLOSE to ordering this stuff up (tires etc). Now I need to get the car running. Another post coming in basics shortly. If anyone else has tire fitment feedback - fire away!

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
To me, stance wise, 215/45/17 is just about perfect for the SVT suspension height. You could run 225, but then chance of rubbing increases. It all comes down to what offset and width rim you go with.

Are the fenders rolled? Are you going lower than stock SVT height?
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
To me, stance wise, 215/45/17 is just about perfect for the SVT suspension height. You could run 225, but then chance of rubbing increases. It all comes down to what offset and width rim you go with.

Are the fenders rolled? Are you going lower than stock SVT height?
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
The fenders are currently not rolled, but I have a buddy with a roller if need be. Once it's back at the stock SVT height, it's staying there. I was going to run lightweight 16s that are lighter than the EAP 17s (or most others). I already did some SVT EAPs and now I want to do something completely different - just like the rest of the car. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tire Recommendation For The Season Change (winter) paolo 20 7,184 11-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Last Post: ANTHONYD