Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antenna...
Hey guys jw, i wanna change my stock antenna on my 2005 zx5. I know steeda makes an aftermarket one but i was hoping to just find a OEM replacement from maybe another car... Has anyone swapped it out for sumthin more sleek and small. Any suggestions would help thanks.
Be careful with a solid shortie antenna. A few people have busted the entire base off the roof when clearing snow. You can always cut the stock one down and make it shorter.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Yea cutting the stock down would be the best bet if you don't wanna spend cash... Get a hair dryer or heat gun and warm the little plastic tip up on the end and pull it off... Then cut the antenna down to your preferred length, put some epoxy in the little black tip and slide it back on... BOOM... Custom shorty antenna!
Don't even need epoxy, my custom shorty has been fine for a few years now. Smile
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
I just added a cfm shorty to one of my orders a few months ago... It was hard to rememer it was there while I was sweeping snow off this winter, I can see how some people have broken off the solid shortys!
I cut mine. works awesome and looks trick!

[Image: carcemetery.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0269.jpg]
Swordfish...,

How about one of these?
Item number 7.
I know, I know, it's Home Hardware.
I'm not sure I would admit to anyone that I had
a Home Hardware part on my car.
But it is an option.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad35/...1303147738
So its that easy just snip the antenna wire with snips, then put on the knib again? How much reception will i lose by doin that? hmm... the last post there with the home hardware antenna, i kant really see the picture , is it a replacement part or sumthing? Is there a link i kan go look online at it? thanks all...
You will lose reception... but for me it didn't matter as i'm usually listening to a cd.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
Don't worry about the crappy home hardware one... Just get the tip off yours cut it to your length then place it back on... Ull lose reception, but no more than with any shorty antenna!
i just got in an ebay special for 12 shipped rubber shorty
Ya tru enuf, i Dont listen to radio much as it is also ha.... Its all about looks neways.... thanks for your help guys.
(04-19-2011, 10:24 AM)MuskokaZX3 Wrote: Ull lose reception, but no more than with any shorty antenna!

you will loose more reception with the shorty antenna than if you cut your stock antenna. The shorty antenna, whom mine was made by ZX3tuning, its not an antenna, its a decorative piece of painted solid aluminum with a thread on the end. it was not engineered to be a functioning antenna, it does not bend either, that could mean either the antenna brakes right off, or worse case, your roof of your car will bend/dent.

Like everyone else here, I'd just stick to cutting down the stock antenna, and re-gluing the cap back on it.
My other ride is your Mom
I have a black billet shorty antenna. I love the look, goes really well with my paint. Like most of the people here I dont use my radio either, I just throw the IPod in and go. I only listen to radio when im driving my beater.
Current: 2006 Focus ZX4 ST. Tuxedo Black and Sterling Grey
Mods: 7" double din Alpine touch screen audio unit, K&N typhoon CAI, Steeda short shifter, custom two tone paint, rear wing delete, Angel eye headlight kit with 6000K HID upgrade, tinted windows, tail lights, and marker lights, Eibach Sportline springs on Tokico shocks and struts, Eibach front and rear sway bar kit. 17x7 Ikon Black Zen Wheels. Massive front and rear upper strut bar.
I'm also rockin' the black billet shorty as well, and again, the reception is garbage but who cares...it looks sick Wink

First year having it, I snapped it off with the snowbrush..lol I think a new base was like $12 from Ford. no biggie.
Blacked-out 06 ZX3 : Eibach Pro's, Tokico Blues, Tri-Ax STS, Steeda SRI, Cosworth 67mm TB, Cosworth Header, Energy Suspension Poly Mounts, PS2, Red & Black Katzkins...
Still rockin my stocker. Kicks ass, get 102.1 to close to Huntsville. Wouldn't cut it for the world. Although it's stuck to the base.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.