Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop Batteries.
Hey all,

My girlfriend had her battery die in her laptop and I'm looking at getting a replacement. Sony wants $199 for it!! So I'm looking at aftermarket possibilities. At this point http://www.battdepot.ca seems to be at the top of my list. They've got the battery for $63CDN or $78CDN for the high capacity model.

Anybody have any experience with these guys? Alternatively, anyone have any other recommendations of where to get a decent price on a replacement battery?

The battery is a Sony VGP-BPS2C from a VGN-C240 notebook.

Thanks!
-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
There must be a reason the aftermarket ones are THAT cheap. Can you compare SKUs and see if the BattDepot batteries are truly compatible? I'd be wary of putting no-name batteries into a laptop when aggressive laptop use can (and does) cause inferior laptop battery packs to overheat, melt down and even catch fire - remember the flaming Dells, Sonys and others from a couple years back?

Just my 2 cents. :)
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I picked upa couple batteries from them for my pocket PC... they're generic, but they haven't exploded yet. And it's been 2 years.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Thanks for the replies guys!

NOS2GO: I understand your concern with aftermarket batteries. I used to be quite leary about it but after looking at what all OEM's charge for their brand of battery and what most aftermarket manufacturers charge it really makes me wonder. I've been using generic replacement batteries in my electronics for years now and have yet to have any problems. When I can buy three aftermarket ones for the price of a single OEM ... I'd rather take the chance on them having half the life (and blowing up on my lap! :P) of an OEM.

DP: Thanks, I was hoping someone on here had purchased from them before. I'm always leery of dealing with unknown companies on the internet, it's nice to know that someone has successfully made a purchase from them.

Thanks again!
-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
Are those the guys out in Woodbridge? (Highway 27 and something IIRC)

I bought a replacement battery from a place ther for my Sony PDA (since Sony wasn't even selling batteries for the thing I had no choice)

Prompt service but the battery and PDA never did work well together (The original could be conditioned by the PDA if it developed a "memory" effect, not so the generic replacement)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Feb 11 2009, 10:59 AM Wrote:Are those the guys out in Woodbridge? (Highway 27 and something IIRC)

I bought a replacement battery from a place ther for my Sony PDA (since Sony wasn't even selling batteries for the thing I had no choice)

Prompt service but the battery and PDA never did work well together (The original could be conditioned by the PDA if it developed a "memory" effect, not so the generic replacement)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]280945[/snapback][/right]

Nope, these guys are in Richmond BC. I've also noticed they use paypal which I like since I've recently discovered paypal has buyer protection for non-ebay purchases as well.

-George
I've had success with these guy in the past:
http://www.totalbattery.com

Good luck.
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black
Just a follow up for those who may be looking in the future. I ended up ordering from battdepot.ca, easy to deal with, shipped super fast (ordered it on a sunday afternoon and it was here on Tuesday), and the battery has worked flawlessly so far.

-George
arent the batteries in dell/sony/toshiba just rebranded batteries from someone else anyway?

so whats the diff between the overpriced one and one that might say "duracell" on it?
Now rockin a 06 ZX5 SES
I pickd up a battery from battdepot about a year ago, and have had no problems with it at all.

Its identical to the Dell battery, minus the Dell logo on it.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
StreetEdition,Jun 3 2009, 06:04 AM Wrote:arent the batteries in dell/sony/toshiba just rebranded batteries from someone else anyway?

so whats the diff between the overpriced one and one that might say "duracell" on it?
[right][snapback]288707[/snapback][/right]

From what I've read, Sony has some sort of blocker in place in some of their laptops that will only allow you to use Sony brand batteries. Some of them have a software base controller and some have one that is hardware base, thankfully neither my laptop nor my gf's have this.

-George
StreetEdition,Jun 3 2009, 05:04 AM Wrote:arent the batteries in dell/sony/toshiba just rebranded batteries from someone else anyway?

In theory nothing, however the laptop manufacturer can voild a warranty claim if they can prove that the laptop was damaged by the use of a non OEM battery.

But since the majority of the time the batteries fail when the machine is outside its warranty period, that point is usally moot, unless you buy an extended warranty that goes past the typical 1 - 2 years that laptops are covered.

NefCanuck
StreetEdition,Jun 3 2009, 06:04 AM Wrote:arent the batteries in dell/sony/toshiba just rebranded batteries from someone else anyway?

Just to add to Nefcanuk's.. most, if not all Li batteries are made by a few companies and then rebranded/packaged for specific customers.

So when you buy generic, you're buying a battery that fits, and likely uses the same components, but it may not be designed with the thermal protection (venting/circuit, etc, improper material sealing).. etc.. and that's what can cause the big problems.

Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!