Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flex And F-150 Up For Na Car Of The Year
Automotive News
December 18, 2008 - 12:14 pm ET

Ford Motor Co. placed two candidates on the short list of finalists for the 2009 North American Car and Truck of the Year awards.

Ford's Flex (car) and the F-150 (truck) are among the six vehicles to make it through the latest round of voting by 50 automotive journalists in the United States and Canada.

The diesel-powered Volkswagen Jetta TDI (car) and the Mercedes-Benz ML320 Bluetec (truck) are also on the list announced today. They are the first vehicles with diesel engines to qualify as finalists in the 16-year history of the awards.

Hyundai's new luxury entry, the Genesis, is the third finalist in the car category. No Korean automaker has made the cut before. The Dodge Ram pickup rounds out the truck field.

The winners will be announced Jan. 11 at the Detroit auto show. The criteria include innovation, design, safety, handling, driver satisfaction and value.

Last year, the Chevrolet Malibu won car of the year, and the Mazda CX-9 was honored as the top truck.

Domestic automakers have won the car trophy eight times, the Europeans four times and the Japanese three times.

In trucks, domestics have won nine times, followed by the Japanese four times and the Europeans twice.

Additionally, hybrids have won four times.

More than 50 vehicles were considered this year; 14 cars and 11 trucks made the initial ballot.

Automotive News article
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
uh oh... what ever will the naysayers do if they take an award?
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!