Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowering My Car?
Well like the title says im considering lowering my car but to be honest I don't know alot about the effects it will have on the car. First off its a daily driver (600km a week) So I don't want to be bounced all over the place. Ford racing has the dampers for the 08's and I heard Eibach is coming out with springs for the summer. What I want to do is get rid of the body roll, the car handles sharper in turn in and road feel is better but there is a ton more roll compared to my 07 ST.

If I could get some feedback on the pros and cons to lowering a car (Besides just looks). From what I've read its better to get dampers and spring that match each other. Also do I wait a couple of weeks to get an alignment after the install or get it done write away?

Thanks alot. :D
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Canadian ST,Apr 23 2008, 02:57 PM Wrote:Well like the title says im considering lowering my car but to be honest I don't know alot about the effects it will have on the car. First off its a daily driver (600km a week) So I don't want to be bounced all over the place. Ford racing has the dampers for the 08's and I heard Eibach is coming out with springs for the summer. What I want to do is get rid of the body roll, the car handles sharper in turn in and road feel is better but there is a ton more roll compared to my 07 ST.

If I could get some feedback on the pros and cons to lowering a car (Besides just looks). From what I've read its better to get dampers and spring that match each other. Also do I wait a couple of weeks to get an alignment after the install or get it done write away?

Thanks alot. :D
[right][snapback]262720[/snapback][/right]
I did the Eibach pro-kit on my '07 wagon, which is my daily driver, and frankly I like it better than stock. It is certainly comfortable enough but the response is much sharper, the control is better (even with stock dampers) and of course it looks better - especially with 17s.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again ... my setup remained within normal range for alignment purposes at the front, and I used the alignment kit at the back, so tire wear has not been an issue. I now have about 25k and I think the stock dampers are near the end of their life (so that would be premature wear but also includes time on the track) but I found a set of ST dampers for the front in the U.S. (made in Spain) for $110 for the pair. The only thing I think I would do differently next time is change out the sway bars at the same time ... and more for the track than on the road.

I got my alignment at the same time as the installation for convenience sake and because my installer gave me a deal ... I haven't felt that it has since gone out of alignment - tracks perfectly even at speeds up to 190, which is the top speed for my car at Mosport.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
IMHO..

pros: car feels better (less body roll), car looks better

cons: cost, car potentially handles worse if you pick dumb parts (ie H&R race springs on stock dampers.. Tein S-tech springs), you prob weren't maxing out your stock car in the first place so you would have gotten more actual performance out of better tires, apparently weight transfer happens faster so you get less time to figure it out and its harder to learn

again IMHO, wrap the OE wheels in some stickies, get a performance alignment and maybe get a larger OE rear sway bar if available and call it a day until you have enough seat time / tech knowledge to pick parts yourself without asking the interweb

naz,Apr 23 2008, 06:12 PM Wrote:IMHO..

pros: car feels better (less body roll), car looks better

cons: cost, car potentially handles worse if you pick dumb parts (ie H&R race springs on stock dampers.. Tein S-tech springs), you prob weren't maxing out your stock car in the first place so you would have gotten more actual performance out of better tires, apparently weight transfer happens faster so you get less time to figure it out and its harder to learn

again IMHO, wrap the OE wheels in some stickies, get a performance alignment and maybe get a larger OE rear sway bar if available and call it a day until you have enough seat time / tech knowledge to pick parts yourself without asking the interweb
[right][snapback]262746[/snapback][/right]

I know seat time is a big thing, as far as tires go I'm going to keep the stock tires on the car until they wear out (by next summer). I have already put on 4'000km in the first month I had the car.
As far as a rear swaybar I was thinking of the 22mm Progress swaybar but I don't know if it will fit my car. I talked to the guys at Focusport and the H&R sway bars fit the 08 so I assume the other will too. :blink:

I have pushed the car on some familiar back roads and I hate how much body roll there is especially in the rear end, so maybe a swaybar would be a good starting point.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Canadian ST,Apr 23 2008, 10:44 PM Wrote:I have pushed the car on some familiar back roads and I hate how much body roll there is especially in the rear end, so maybe a swaybar would be a good starting point.
[right][snapback]262748[/snapback][/right]

yes the rear bar would help with the body lean in the rear of the vehicle.

i'm not sure how the '08 focus has changed from the '00 focus but my '00 zx3 rolled a LOT but it was clear the stock tires were very much the limiting factor to increased cornering speeds and not the stock suspension...
get alignment asap after install........i did it in the same day
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
if youre looking for better performance without ruining ride integrity get some good tires...stock ones suck
I have coils overs in my 2000 zx3 with them all the down giving me like 5in of ground clearance and 195 50 r15 on it so it rides like a bag of s***. sooo stiff

I would stay a way from lower end coil overs and get struts
In Europe FORD is pronounced "\kwa-le-te\"

2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke/twin turbo/crew cab/XLT/4x4 Edge programmer, Cat and Dpf delete, mbrp exhaust. 650hp 850ft/tq.....
2002 red SVT sport'in European Appearance package rims, AEM cai, #4111 of 4788, ranger 12v plug cover, 4500k HID HI/LO, eibach springs, H&R 15mm wheel spacers. sold Sad
2000 yellow zx3 sold
1994 mazda mx3 sold
1992 ford festiva (RIP)