Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody Use Kuhmo Ecsta Asx?
Well my p6's have 31'000km on them and I will need to replace them in the in the next couple of months. I was looking at the Kumo Ecsta ASX. They are a ultra high performence all-season, I need the higher tread wear rating(420) since I drive 30'000km a year. Has any one used these before? I can get them from tire rack for $450 to my door (including duty) So any advice or comments would be helpful. :D
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
Canadian ST,Nov 4 2007, 02:31 AM Wrote:Well my p6's have 31'000km on them and I will need to replace them in the in the next couple of months. I was looking at the Kumo Ecsta ASX. They are a ultra high performence all-season, I need the higher tread wear rating(420) since I drive 30'000km a year. Has any one used these before? I can get them from tire rack for $450 to my door (including duty) So any advice or comments would be helpful. :D
[right][snapback]252165[/snapback][/right]

I had the ecsta's on my wife's car before, they were not the ASX's. Overall they are really good summer tires. you will be using a different winter tires right?
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success."
--Henry Ford

00 Focus ZX3 Silver- Sold
01 Focus ZX3 Green- Sold
01 Focus ZTS Red- Sold
03 Focus ZTW Green Sold
04 Escape LTD Silver- Sold
05 Freestyle LTD Black-Sold
02 Honda CRV EX-L-Sold
02 VW Jetta GLS TDI Silver-Sold

11 VW Jetta TDI 6spd Mine Smile
10 VW Golf Highline DSG- wrote off Sad

mo_focus,Nov 4 2007, 08:08 AM Wrote:
Canadian ST,Nov 4 2007, 02:31 AM Wrote:Well my p6's have 31'000km on them and I will need to replace them in the in the next couple of months. I was looking at the Kumo Ecsta ASX. They are a ultra high performence all-season, I need the higher tread wear rating(420) since I drive 30'000km a year. Has any one used these before? I can get them from tire rack for $450 to my door (including duty) So any advice or comments would be helpful. :D
[right][snapback]252165[/snapback][/right]

I had the ecsta's on my wife's car before, they were not the ASX's. Overall they are really good summer tires. you will be using a different winter tires right?
[right][snapback]252172[/snapback][/right]

Yah I am going to buy winter tires, I think the only reason the P6's did so good last year was because they had a lot of tread depth. My wife's focus has the goodyear snows and it is great.
[center]TEAM PITA™ Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.[/center]
you have only 31k on your p6's and gonna change them??

I have 65k on my p6's and they still don't need to get changed until another year or so.
Be the change you want to see in this world.
i used kumho ecsta 712 which is a similar product to the asx you are looking at.

first off don't be fooled by the 'ultra high performance' marketing hype.. the 712 and asx are nothing special. the fact they are better than stock tires just shows how bad the stockers are not how good the 712 and asx are (i recommend kumho mx if you want a performance oriented tire

that said. the asx will be a great commuter tire that will give you lots of tread life
cornflakes,Nov 5 2007, 01:27 AM Wrote:you have only 31k on your p6's and gonna change them??

I have 65k on my p6's and they still don't need to get changed until another year or so.
[right][snapback]252213[/snapback][/right]
Well I can get another10'000km on them but I don't want to drive them through the snow. I wish I could get 65'000km out of mine :( I have the tires rotated every 10'000km.
pffft let the rears go bald.. it's easer to rotate the car that way :D
[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!
naz,Nov 5 2007, 01:36 AM Wrote:i used kumho ecsta 712 which is a similar product to the asx you are looking at. 

first off don't be fooled by the 'ultra high performance' marketing hype.. the 712 and asx are nothing special.  the fact they are better than stock tires just shows how bad the stockers are not how good the 712 and asx are  (i recommend kumho mx if you want a performance oriented tire

that said. the asx will be a great commuter tire that will give you lots of tread life
[right][snapback]252217[/snapback][/right]

Well since i drive alot I want something that will give me a lot of tread life so it was either the Kumohs or the PZero M&S but they are almost twice the price. I like the P6's alot (for a all season) but I would never spend the money on them. I am just looking for a tire that will last 50k and will handle better then my P6's. Do you think the kuhmos will be better then the stock P6's?
ZED_not_zee,Nov 5 2007, 08:39 PM Wrote:pffft let the rears go bald.. it's easer to rotate the car that way  :D
[right][snapback]252247[/snapback][/right]
Thats what 28.6mm rear swaybars are for, mind you bald rear tires would help out too :D
Canadian ST,Nov 6 2007, 12:39 AM Wrote:Well since i drive alot I want something that will give me a lot of tread life so it was either the Kumohs or the PZero M&S but they are almost twice the price. I like the P6's alot (for a all season) but I would never spend the money on them. I am just looking for a tire that will last 50k and will handle better then my P6's. Do you think the kuhmos will be better then the stock P6's?
[right][snapback]252248[/snapback][/right]

i'm sort of guessing but yea i think the kumhos should be comparable to the stock p6.. i have tried the kumho 712 on a focus and the pirelli p6 on an audi so it isn't quite apples to apples

are you thinking of using those kumhos all yr long? you should think about 2 sets of tires. its a bit of a pain at first but after you switch you won't ever go back.. and the overall cost isn't that much either since you are on long wearing winter tires nov-march and you end up throwing your summer tires away at a much lower tread than all seasons so you kinda get more use out of them anyway..

i use kumho mx or azenis rt615 in the summer and no name brand tires in the winter.. the cheapness of the winter tires helps offset the slightly higher cost of the summer tires

EDIT: 28mm sway bar.... i bet the car feels more sporty to you because it rotates quickly but i bet if you went to a more reasonable size (ie smaller) bar you would find your times would drop.. i think you might be at the point where the size is hurting not helping you.... especially in the rear world with bumpy roads you would find you can gas it sooner and the car keeps the line better in a bumpy corner.. but anyway.. sorry i couldn't help but give that unsolicited advice..

i'm sort of guessing but yea i think the kumhos should be comparable to the stock p6.. i have tried the kumho 712 on a focus and the pirelli p6 on an audi so it isn't quite apples to apples

are you thinking of using those kumhos all yr long? you should think about 2 sets of tires. its a bit of a pain at first but after you switch you won't ever go back.. and the overall cost isn't that much either since you are on long wearing winter tires nov-march and you end up throwing your summer tires away at a much lower tread than all seasons so you kinda get more use out of them anyway..

i use kumho mx or azenis rt615 in the summer and no name brand tires in the winter.. the cheapness of the winter tires helps offset the slightly higher cost of the summer tires
[right][snapback]252251[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well I'm going to get aset of 14 snow tires and rims through my wifes work in a couple of weeks. So I will be switching tires. I looked at the tirerack web page and the Kuhmos got great reviews. I also came across the Fuzion ZRI for about the same price, but since 95% of my driving is on the highway I will probably get the ASX. I just want something better then the P6's :P
Canadian ST,Nov 5 2007, 07:42 PM Wrote:
ZED_not_zee,Nov 5 2007, 08:39 PM Wrote:pffft let the rears go bald.. it's easer to rotate the car that way  :D
[right][snapback]252247[/snapback][/right]
Thats what 28.6mm rear swaybars are for, mind you bald rear tires would help out too :D
[right][snapback]252249[/snapback][/right]

26mm of Good steel is the same as 28.6 mm of ok steel ;) I just love more throtle and a twitchy rear end (ok guys get your head out of the gutter)
[Image: forumsig.jpg]

I could List my mods.. my times and even my future mods here.. but there the same as yours.. with a little less conversation and a lot more action!
Canadian ST,Nov 5 2007, 09:08 PM Wrote:Well I'm going to get aset of 14 snow tires and rims through my wifes work in a couple of weeks. So I will be switching tires. I looked at the tirerack web page and the Kuhmos got great reviews. I also came across the Fuzion ZRI for about the same price, but since 95% of my driving is on the highway I will probably get the ASX. I just want something better then the P6's :P
[right][snapback]252254[/snapback][/right]

I would look at Falken Tires. I've got a set of 512's and theyve some out with a better looking tire, 912's. Haven't had any issues with the 512's and I do 45-50 K a year.
Proud member of the CDan nation.
2000 White ZTS: retired
2012 Frosted Glass SEL: active
K&N Filter.....