Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mbrp Install Q's
I got my MBRP exhaust the other day. Quick questions for you who have done it.

1. How long does it REALLY take? The instructions say 1 hour, but I tend not to believe it.

2. How big a pain are the bolts going from the flex pipe to the intermediate pipe? Will I need heat/grinder/impact?

3. Can it be done on ramps, or do I have to get the car up on jackstands?

With having the little guy at home now (5 months old and growing), I need all the spare time I can get. If it takes much longer than an hour, off to the shop it goes Wednesday afternoon.

Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
It can be done on ramps,stands.
It should take your 1-1.5 hours depending on the tools. If your bolts are siezed you may need to cut them taking up more time. You also need a sawzall to cut off your old exhaust.
reldridge,May 14 2007, 02:29 PM Wrote:I got my MBRP exhaust the other day. Quick questions for you who have done it.
1. How long does it REALLY take? The instructions say 1 hour, but I tend not to believe it.
2. How big a pain are the bolts going from the flex pipe to the intermediate pipe? Will I need heat/grinder/impact?
3. Can it be done on ramps, or do I have to get the car up on jackstands?
Did mine in about 3 hours on jack stands in the driveway.
The difficult part for me was the UNINSTALL. Getting that old bolts off. They had to be grinded off. I would STRONGELY recommend you have a grinder available with a small cutting wheel.

Once the old sh!t was off, the install was done in less than an hour.

I would also strongely recommend you also change the flex pipe to a 2.25" version (which is what I did). My old one had holes in it I discovered and I have noticed gains with this setup.

Ps. I'm a computer geek and not a car geek, and I management this one ok.
Yellow 2000 ZX3 - Tinted Windows, SVT Air Intake, MBRP Exhaust, NewEdge Performance 2.25" Flex Pipe, Focus Sport UDP, SVT Bumper, Ford Racing 9MM Wires, K&N Filter, XCal2 ECU Upgrade, Shorty Antenna, Ported Throttle Body
190,000 KM (120,000 Miles) and counting!
Yeah about three hours to do. I had the car on all 4 jack stands. As far as the old bolts go I just used a breaker bar I didn't have to grind them off but I guess it depends how stubborn they want to be.
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
it would likely take an hour if you had a hoist, air tools and a torch to cut the old crap off.
2007 Screaming Yellow ZX3 5 Speed
or if its a newer car without rusted nuts
Ford Focus SES ZX5
Blue Underglow, Clear Corners, Shorty antenna, vogtland springs , Rust Module,Truebendz 2.5 ss magnaflow and Fuzion 205/50/16 HRI's
TEAM DURATEC # 99
Ya getting the nuts off at the flex pipe was definately the hardest part of the install. If you've got a sawzall cutting the old exhaust off will be super easy.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

One hours worth of not having to do it your self.

An hour is a steal.
2000 ZX3
Well, appointment is made for Wednesday after work... No time to waste doing it myself.

Oh, and since the car has almost 165,000 kms on it, and plenty of salt and snow exposure, I'm expecting rusty nuts, so the torches at the shop will come in handy.

Ryan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Well, had my MBRP installed tonight after work. Not bad! 30 minutes to do the install at the shop.

Only thing that I'm not 100% sure on is the rear hanger. Does it go onto the shipping holes, or onto the factory hanger?

Oh, and it only cost me $40 to have it installed... :D

Ryan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
When i installed mine, I had to use the supplied hanger to hang it properly. If its not raining tomorrow, I'll crawl under there and take a photo or two. It was weird.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
To me, it hangs a little too low, but I'm not sure. I could move it up another hole.

Ryan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Yes you have to use the hanger with the nut and bolt supplied and bolt it using the hole above the factory hanger. You may have to have somebody push up on the pipe to get it closer to the bumper while tightening the bolt down.
O3 ZX3: Drl-to-drf Mod, Racing mirrors, Shorty antenna, B&M short shifter, Focus Sport 4-1 race header, Focus Sport front strut stabilizer, MBRP cat back, RaceCraft springs, Eibach Pro dampners and struts, RaceCraft 25mm rear stabilizer, Hella lights, Core Racing 17"s.
VF Supercharger Kit (Stage 2)

"I usually don't do this type of work." "I thought you were a professional driver?" "A different kind of driving.".
SmokeBCBuDZ,May 18 2007, 12:42 PM Wrote:Yes you have to use the hanger with the nut and bolt supplied and bolt it using the hole above the factory hanger. You may have to have somebody push up on the pipe to get it closer to the bumper while tightening the bolt down.
[right][snapback]238898[/snapback][/right]

Ok, makes sense. Sounds like something to do on Victoria day Monday! :)

Ryan
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mbrp Install Question. SmokeBCBuDZ 5 2,052 02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Last Post: 02_svt_guy
  Mbrp Ordered, Install Date July 6 In Huntsville NefCanuck 42 12,914 07-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck