Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hid Conversion
Can anyone tell me what to look for when buying an HID conversion kit?
I'm looking to go 8000-12000k of brightness for my Hella's.

Any help would be good, I would need an H9 kit.

On a side note, is anyone running Xenon Bulbs that have proven to be worthwhile or longlasting and semi-street legal? Not Silverstars or any Sylvania product as they do not make H9 bulbs.

Cheers!
try these guys... they are sponsors on another site i'm on

http://www.visionbulbs.com/vb_product.php
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
The BEST advice, although this may disapoint you, is to GET PROJECTORS. AVOID those Retrofit kits at ALL COSTS, trust me. I've seen a gajazillion cars with hids, none of the retrofits comes close EXCEPT for the ones WITH PROJECTORS.
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,Nov 11 2006, 01:06 PM Wrote:The BEST advice, although this may disapoint you, is to GET PROJECTORS.  AVOID those Retrofit kits at ALL COSTS, trust me. I've seen a gajazillion cars with hids, none of the retrofits comes close EXCEPT for the ones WITH PROJECTORS.
[right][snapback]215549[/snapback][/right]

Ummm... yeah.
I have the Hella projectors.
i wouldn't suggest going as high as getting 12K bulbs .. 6-8K is plenty and offers the best long lasting colour

if you scan a few other car message boards you can usually find a group buy going on for HIDs and just get your set through them for a cheaper price, usually in the $275-325 range
Below Average Car Club
SL8RZZX3,Nov 11 2006, 11:25 AM Wrote:try these guys... they are sponsors on another site i'm on

http://www.visionbulbs.com/vb_product.php
[right][snapback]215548[/snapback][/right]

schade,Nov 11 2006, 05:19 PM Wrote:i wouldn't suggest going as high as getting 12K bulbs .. 6-8K is plenty and offers the best long lasting colour

if you scan a few other car message boards you can usually find a group buy going on for HIDs and just get your set through them for a cheaper price, usually in the $275-325 range
[right][snapback]215567[/snapback][/right]

They are $292.77cdn + shipping from vision
2002 pitch black ZX3
Mach HIDs, 02 RS upper grille, Cervini's body kit, DTM drop mirrors, D2 coilovers, purple focussport strut tower bar and chrome rear bar, purple FC tb, Powerworks supercharger, optima yellow top, SVT ceramic coated header,Random Tech SVT/Zetec hi-flow cat , bosal flex, vibrant cat back with custom dual tips, b&m short throw shifter, pro-fit fuel door, shorty antenna, race-pedals.com "focus" pedals, clear 3rd brake light, SVT hvac controls, Transfer Racing billet hvac knobs, RS shift knob, RS Sparco E-brake handle, Mazda3 rear wiper, CarZone 3 piece roof wing, 17" Keskin KT4 wheels

Classic Painting
Man, i would suggest not going anything above 6000k, even that is a little too high. When you get into anything above 4300 K things start to scatter , so the light essentially becomes less focused ( :P ) and it starts blinding other drivers and really does you no good. I dont know about anyone else on here , but personally i hate ppl with purple lights, its gay and really doesnt do anything but cause a hazard to other drivers including the driver that has them in his car. Not to mention purple is straight up gay.

If you are looking for "blue" lights and "purple" lights, get some regular HID's 4300 K is a very good color , hence the reason why most auto manufacturers use it, i think some use a color temp in the 5000's. Even still those numbers are the most effective and have the most useable light for the human eye with the least amount of scatter.

I have the Mach HID's and they are the best investment i have made on my car thus far. Driving at night is magic , and with the high beams on , get ready to melt some eyeballs ! Im seeing things 1 - 2 km down the road ! They are stock color temp and look great. That purple and blue that you see coming from the lights is acutally a color that is produced as a result of the lense shape on the projectors. On the edge of the light pattern where the cutoff is , there is a purple. blueish band , so thats why things like BMW's and such ( and my focus with the Mach HID's ) can look purple/blueish at certain viewing angles and distances. But its only about 5 % of the visable light pattern that has this coloration.

Save yourself time, save yourself headaches, and in the long run save yourself money. I wouldnt retrofit your exsisting headlights, Get the Mach HID's , some ppl on this board are selling them for about 400 - 600 bucks a pair and that includes the wiring harness ,its plug and play and it is worth every penny. Sides, those hella projector lights IMHO look kinda poopy , and im willing to bet you 20 bucks that those little chrome bezels around the lights are starting to rust .... Get the original ford part , its worth it man. Not to mention the projectors in those lights are made by hella , they are made for HID's and the projectors in the MACH HIDS are bigger and of higher quality than the ones in the Hella headlights you have on your car.

How would you save money you ask ? Very simple , you'll put the conversion kit in your lights , get the wrong color , get tired of them , and then want to change. I cant say that for sure but i dunno , take a look at some memebers MACH HID's and how they perform at night and see how it goes from there. Im sure you could sell those hella e-codes for somehting like 200 bucks and you would only need about 400 or so to buy the new lights, which when you think about it , is not that bad considering your kits gonna run you anywhere between 300 - 400 bucks anyhow, and this way you have a light that was specifically designed to do that , that is worth alot in the long run...Not to mention the included wiring harness is damned easy and you get some bitchin looking built in turnsignals in your lights so then you can put a nicer grille in the front, instead of the goofy lookin one with the yellow lights in it (ugh) ... Mach HIDs are your best bet man .

Best of luck
Is it worth the extra cash to get the H4 hi/lo option or is it more cost effective to get the normal kit?
2004 Ford Focus ZX5 MTX75 - Liquid Grey -

15.7 @ 86mph

1994 Pontiac Trans AM 25th Anniversary 6 spd -

12.3 @ 110mph

2013 Ford Focus ST - Oxford White

1/4 TBD
[Image: image,Burnin1,black,blue.png]
with HID's you'll probably never use your hibeams again .. so just stick with the low beam kit ... one less thing to go wrong
Below Average Car Club
Good stuff Schade, sounds good, thanks :)

15.7 @ 86mph

12.3 @ 110mph

1/4 TBD
im feeling a group buy???
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
I'd go for a group buy in April/May, as I am a poor student right now and dont have $300 + to chip out for HID's on a car that I look at everytime I go home <_<

15.7 @ 86mph

12.3 @ 110mph

1/4 TBD
I think that you guys are going to be seriously disappointed with just a straight kit install, those lights on the focus were not built for the heat of HIDS and not built for the extra light output , your essentially throwing your money down the drain really, but if you are all about looks then i suppose they'll do , i however dont care about looks to a point , im all about stuff working, working properly and well.

I use my highbeams all the time on the mach hids , they are simply amazing , im lighting roadsigns over 2km away with those puppies.

And yeah they are also illegal. Those lights are not DOT approved and you know what cops can be like , they are assholes. Conversion = bad

Save the money and buy some REAL lights , get the MACH HIDS, you will not regret it, infact its probably the best 600 bucks ive ever spent on my car.

SO i can get the mach hid kit from ford for 950$(cdn) + taxes :blink:

i think i rather go faster

inless i go for a used kit
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
^^^ Exactly what I've seen too.

So Mike, please tell us where can we get Mach's for 600$ cnd.?

And I'm guessing there are no HID's for the '07 yet, is there?
2007 CD Silver ST  **** FOR SALE ****
2014 Performance Blue ST  **** SOLD ****

2016 Ford Edge Sport Shadow Black