Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roll Cage
hey, dont know if it should be in this forum, mods please move it if it doesnt!

Im researching roll cages right now. with the power im putting out I dont really feel like killing myself in case of a rollover (or something like that)

Im looking for something that will go all the way to the back of the car, something that a bar passes past the rear windows, so a rather large one. the rear will be gutted.

are there any good ones out there or should I just be going custom.. and if so, how much has a custom roll cage cost you guys?

thanks
~Lorne
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
Have you considered that this will void your car insurance?
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Aug 9 2006, 03:39 PM Wrote:Have you considered that this will void your car insurance?
[right][snapback]201586[/snapback][/right]

not to mention increases risk of severe head injury or death if you're not wearing a helmet?

If you're going to drive it on the street, you may want to look into something custom... something that reinforces the existing structure and whatnot without having to put pipes near your unprotected head.

p.s. you'd have to be driving awefully insane to roll the car over.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Don't waste your money. Cars that put out way more power than your focus don't come with a roll cage. And more than that i would say if you think that adding more horsepower will cause you to roll the car, maybe you should rethink the adding the extra power.
Current
09 F150 SCREW 4X4 XTR

Former
Show
Hella Magic Module Tail Lights, 17" Ford Racing EAP rims, 5% Rear, 20% Front Tint, Panasonic CQ7401 Deck, 2 MB Quart 10's, Alpine Components, Phoenix Gold 500.1 Amp
Go
Steeda Cold Ram Air Intake MBRP Exhaust (Gen 2), FK Coilovers, Hedman Header (Install Pending),FC Hi-Flo Cat (Install Pending),EBC Greenstuff Pads

Roll cages are legal on regular road-going cars in BC, with no affect to our public insurance.

Lorne, didn't Mitch just get a custom cage done for his car? Why not ask him what it cost him to have it done?

That being said, unless you're tracking your car, skip the cost of the cage. Why rip up your interior and add weight unnecessarily?
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
I met a guy on the Subaru forum who's got a daily driver rally car, full roll cage, 5 points harnesses, gutted interior etc... drives it everyday to work. Also, you have to have the car insured to participate in a rally anyway. Which means that with a roll cage, you'll still be able to get insurance, though I'm not sure how much if any it would differ.
Silver '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero
Casper,Aug 9 2006, 12:52 PM Wrote:Lorne, didn't Mitch just get a custom cage done for his car? Why not ask him what it cost him to have it done?
[right][snapback]201611[/snapback][/right]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

what it cost me and what it would cost Lorne (or most people for that matter) are 2 completely different numbers.
for a propperly built-to-spec basic 4pt weld-in roll-bar, expect to pay $1200-1500+cnd. More if you want to diagonal brace the hoop, rear supports, x-brace the rear, add in a rear strut brace or a harness bar.
for a Cage, the sky is the limit but i would hazzard to guess minimum of $2500cnd depending on bracing and how many points and bends were required.

you also need to comepletely gut the cat to install a custom cage, i had to pull out everything but the dash and front door cards for my roll bar, a cage would require cutting into the door cards adn dash... a lot more time and money!

Autopower....
About $400usd, basic, simple, cheap, bolt-in, more than needed and legal for most forms of ammature racing.

i will echo, if you are that worried about rolling the car because of extra power either....
A: don't add the extra power
B: take an advanced driver course
C: stop driving like a mad-man
D: try a different suspension setup
E: be a man and just roll the damn thing already! :D
F: all of the above
darkpuppet,Aug 9 2006, 11:47 AM Wrote:
meford4u,Aug 9 2006, 03:39 PM Wrote:Have you considered that this will void your car insurance?
[right][snapback]201586[/snapback][/right]

not to mention increases risk of severe head injury or death if you're not wearing a helmet?

If you're going to drive it on the street, you may want to look into something custom... something that reinforces the existing structure and whatnot without having to put pipes near your unprotected head.

p.s. you'd have to be driving awefully insane to roll the car over.
[right][snapback]201591[/snapback][/right]

In most cases a roll bar would not void the insurance on a car unless it was impropperly made and/or installed.

Head injury is an issue with non-fixed back seats and impropperly positioned bars.
not to mention, there is rollbar padding designed to deflect most of the impact with or without a helmet.
besides, if you get into a wreck where your head hitting a bar is a serious enough issue to cause death or serious head injury, chances are it would be a release from your state after the wreck WITHOUT the bar there to kill you! ;) :P

and yes, to roll a Focus you pretty much have to drive like a complete Jack-ass or get so out of control at such a high speed that you get sideways, plant your side tires and launch into a flip... on or off the track, this is a SERIOUS stretch of the dynamics of a Focus with or without power....

again, if you are worried about this, propper driver training will do more to save your life than a cage or roll bar.
my interest in a lot of the mods I post about is fleeting.

Ive moved on from this one, I might come back to it in a year or so :lol:
THE FOCUS IS GONE! THE LEGEND IS DEAD!

but hey, im still around.....
if i recall there was subaru with a cage participating in a time/distance rally and hit a deer and insurance wouldn't pay his claim and ppl speculated the cage made the car appear heavily modified or used in competition. ontario seems to be the land of car/insurance nazi. i'd be careful before adding a cage

even if you rolled without a cage your roof will not crumple like aluminum foil and squish you.. there is some protective value there... and you've seriously got to slow down on public roads if you are worried about rolling your car....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Intrest In A Roll Cage bigman 5 2,059 09-28-2004, 02:58 AM
Last Post: garyk