Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obx Or Mbrp Cat-back?
What do you say peeps?
I know borla this and that, but my car is ugly, and I'm trying to save where I can. Also is 2.5" needed if I'm staying N/A or will 2.25 be ok? Keeping in mind I am stopping after SRI, header,exhaust, chip, UDP as far as performance goes.

Hopefully current owners can shed some light on which one they like? and where to get one in the GTA? Without killing my pocket.

Thanks in advance.
Lets be friends, I'd love a dumb friend.
2.5"MBRP. DONE! :D
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
i would say mbrp 2.25 is all u will ever need

i have mbrp 2.25 flex back and love the sownd not ricey at all

i know a guy that has borla flex back and its very quiet and the tip was bigger then the cut out thing that comes stock on our cars he hat to modify his rear bumper a bit.

In Europe FORD is pronounced "\kwa-le-te\"

2008 f250 6.4 powerstroke/twin turbo/crew cab/XLT/4x4 Edge programmer, Cat and Dpf delete, mbrp exhaust. 650hp 850ft/tq.....
2002 red SVT sport'in European Appearance package rims, AEM cai, #4111 of 4788, ranger 12v plug cover, 4500k HID HI/LO, eibach springs, H&R 15mm wheel spacers. sold Sad
2000 yellow zx3 sold
1994 mazda mx3 sold
1992 ford festiva (RIP)
2.25" MBRP

obx has a fartcan tip ftl
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
Only had experience with the MBRP on the Focus but I can say that I loved it. Sounded perfect for the car a nice snarl when I hit it but otherwise very civil...

NefCanuck
IMO the 2.5'' mbrp system (what i have) makes a deeper tone than the 2.25'' maybe its just me. but if you're 100% staying N/A you can go with the 2.25''
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
FOCUSSPORT STEALTH!
2.25" MBRP lover here. :wub: Made right here in Ontario too!

What is your car? I doubt you could take advantage of a 2.5' exhaust.
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
MBRP for sure! 2.25" is all you'll really need also. Price is great, shipping is fast, and the people at MBRP are very nice and helpful.

It's lasted 4 years so far, and is as solid as the day I bought it, minus replacing the one clamp, but thats normal for any car that lives in salt for 6 months out of the year. :)
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Ok, decided 2.25 MBRP. Thanks for your replies guys. I've read till my eyes bled and still wasn't sure, now I can feel good hunting my exhaust. Hopefully I can get it and install it for the 3rd!
You could always see if you could have them install it at the shop. They are in Huntsville, and it would make a nice fall drive... :D
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
You should be able to install it rather quickly on your own with a simple socket set and a sawzall with a new metal blade. I cut the two front bolts from the flex pipe since the new exhaust came with them, and then cut the exhaust near the rear tire since in their infinite wisdom they gave us a single-piece stock exhaust.

Most of the 45 minutes to replace it was cutting the old junk out.
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
One note, if your ever going to boost or add race header stay far far away from MBRP unless you like being very very loud and rice sounding.

MBRP is a great exhaust for a basically stock car, the moment you start making real power you'll need to cut out the resonator and replace it with another.

My comments really only cover the ZETEC, I think that the duratec's may not suffer from the rice sounds when you open up the airways.
hardk0re,Sep 22 2009, 09:26 PM Wrote:One note, if your ever going to boost or add race header stay far far away from MBRP unless you like being very very loud and rice sounding.

MBRP is a great exhaust for a basically stock car, the moment you start making real power you'll need to cut out the resonator and replace it with another.

My comments really only cover the ZETEC, I think that the duratec's may not suffer from the rice sounds when you open up the airways.
[right][snapback]294757[/snapback][/right]

Duratec's don't have the ricey sound. I will prove this at the barbecue.

As for the SPI, if you header it with the MBRP, yes it is loud, not sure bout ricey.

Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
I will be doing the ford racing SVT header and probably a gutted cat. MBRP a bad idea then? I have a Zetec and I don't want to have to start modifying the exhaust I just bought. I thought the newer MBRP exhausts didn't have the noise issue's anymore? I read about the earlier design being so loud people were going back to stock, one guy was even complaining that his ears were ringing after he drove his car with the windows down. I'd like a nice sound not just excessive noise. Anyone have a Zetec with SVT header and MBRP catback?

As long as you keep the catalytic you will be fine. If you remove the catalytic its loud as hell. Its still IMHO louder than the focussport or obx exhausts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Mbrp Cat-back Installed NOS2Go4Me 21 5,250 03-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Last Post: NefCanuck
  Mbrp Cat Back Tantrik ZX3 17 4,128 04-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Last Post: dmcisaac