Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drove A 2.3l Fusion Se Today...
...While I was waiting for Stockfish to flip the Pirellis to the S2 rims.

I gotta say... that 5-speed belongs in the Focus. Prolly not even 2200 RPMs @ 100 KM/H.

I have an invite to go back this week and take any other Fusion for a rip, too. The SE V6 looks nice, sounded nice on start-up too.

What I like is the standard 4-wheel disc brakes. The suspension feels a tad squishy and not damped enough for my liking, but such is what apparently happens after driving the S2 suspension for a few weeks! :D

The thing that kills a new Focus for me is the lack of 2.3Lness in the entire line of Foci, save the ST.

That 2.3 when mated to 2 nice, short opening gears - wow. It squirts along nicely. But those greasy ContiSport Tourings... buhbye if I ever get one. Ick.

The buckets have a tad less bolster than the Focus, but apparently the driver's side gets power adjustment standard. The base Fusion (SE) gets a carbon fibre-look centre console trim - which if trimmed ever so slightly would look pimp.

I don't mind the 5-spoke 16" rims, but something tells me I'd just get the steelies and then find a more suitable summer combo.

Not ditching the Focus, just some good old summer test drivin'. :)

I also checked out a loaded SEL V6 quickly. It's for people who need an Altima level of options and V6 power without the killer pricetag, in my opinion. It's almost too rich inside for my liking with the leather seats and all. I still want a chance to see just what 6 auto-cogs does for the Fusion when mated to the V6.

And I missed the S2 rims. Did I ever. Kev, I'm glad I got them back man. :D
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
go with the mazda 6 if you think about the fusion, way nicer interior than the fusion and that what i'd rather have.
'03 Focus SVT
FocusGuy7476,Jul 25 2006, 11:06 PM Wrote:go with the mazda 6 if you think about the fusion, way nicer interior than the fusion and that what i'd rather have.
[right][snapback]199026[/snapback][/right]

Not to mention the Resale Value would be higher on the Mazda 6 in the long run as I'm starting to see a many o Fusions making it into the fleets of rental places.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
i drove one also but it had the auto. motor was very responsive minus the tranny lag and felt like it had a good bit of torque. makes me wanna go take out the lighter focus ST wiht the 5-speed and see what the full potential of that motor is.

but i was definitely suprised by the performance out the 4 cylinder in a mid-size sedan!!
'05 Grand Cherokee LTD Hemi

'02 black ZX5 ****currently on jack stands my parents garage missing a transmission****
--FC/OBX 4-2-1 Race Header--FS Flex--MBRP catback exhaust--AEM CAI--Brembo Brakes with Hawk HPS pads--Toucan(ractive) 9mm Plug wires--FC Plug wire cover--Polished aluminum Ractive Strut Bar
Not installed: FK 60/40 Springs
I too liked the responsiveness of the motor and I liked the suspension. Although after driving the truck, that suspension is tight to me.
It is still up for consideration in the hunt for a new car.
But not the stick.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Actually, it was the auto. The auto's a 5-speed in the 4-cyl offerings and a 6-speed in the V6 offerings. Wow. I forgot to clarify that earlier.

As for the Mazda6... I'd have to do a price comparison and try to ignore the "Who am I? I'm BATMAN" look-at-me styling.

The upcoming Fusion ST sounds interesting too. Surprisingly, I forgot all about the Fusion on the way home. I'm seriously addicted to more sporting suspensions.

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I test drove one last spring.

Geeze I was disappointed. It was like my moms old Lumina.

Not a whole lot of options in the one I tried. (Had wheel covers) I'm sure with the right options it would turn into a nice slick family sedan.

I like the aftermarket grilles for these cars better than the stock three bars too.
I have driven both a 2.3L 5spd SE, and a 3.0L SEL 6spd auto. The Fusion SEL has a BETTER chasis and better roadfeel than the Mazda 6. The SEL V6 is just as fast, if not faster than a Mazda 6, and it undercuts it pricewise too. The interior of the car is a lot like the Mondeo in Europe and Asia, and the suspension tuning (especially with one with the 17" rims) is awesome...feels like a proper Euro-Spec Ford. I think that considering the Fusion is around 30K FULLY loaded, is an awesome price, and the imports can't match it's feature/performance - to - dollar value (unless we're talking Kia Magentis or something like that).

The Fusion is a very surprising car...nimble, quick, quiet, nice sounding engine, awesome transmission, etc.

I might buy one as my next car...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
I like the Fusion SEL interior (The SE is a bit too drab, reminds me of the Focus S/SE interior) The outside styling is a bit subjective (I keep wanting to shave my head using the front grille on the Fusion :D)

If I had the scratch, it would be definately on my shopping list (esp. since they merged all the wiper/turn signal controls on the left side stalk again) In black with matching interior -drool

NefCanuck
I drove the V6... Not a bad car, but nothing special. For the 30k... i'd rather pony up a few grand and step into an altima 3.5/SE-R

05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
The Altimas are nice cars fo sho... but for the SE-R it's more than a "few grand" above the less than $30K for the loaded-on-loaded Fusion SEL.

I'll never complain about the fact the Focus is almost paid off, but if I needed new wheels tomorrow... it's either the Fusion or an Impreza.

NOS2Go4Me,Jul 26 2006, 04:16 PM Wrote:The Altimas are nice cars fo sho... but for the SE-R it's more than a "few grand" above the less than $30K for the loaded-on-loaded Fusion SEL.

I'll never complain about the fact the Focus is almost paid off, but if I needed new wheels tomorrow... it's either the Fusion or an Impreza.
[right][snapback]199161[/snapback][/right]

you live in North Bay so the 4 wheel drive would make more sence in North Bay durring the winter, then the FWD Fusion.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
I've never been stuck in 2 bad winters with the Focus and 14" all-seasons. I'm not sure AWD and the extra drivetrain maintenance / care and lower fuel economy off are worth it. I've driven work's Impreza TS for almost 4 years now and it's really quite the car, but the Fusion's noise from the 2.3L is quite... involving. With a new intake/exhaust it could almost be haunting.

Double so for the Duratec 3.0L V6.

Nothing will happen till next summer at the earliest at this rate. I'm just too damn happy with the Focus :D

NOS2Go4Me,Jul 26 2006, 02:52 AM Wrote:I gotta say... that 5-speed belongs in the Focus. Prolly not even 2200 RPMs @ 100 KM/H.

[right][snapback]199022[/snapback][/right]

that would suck. why do you want to make it slower? focus is geared too tall already
naz,Jul 26 2006, 11:25 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 26 2006, 02:52 AM Wrote:I gotta say... that 5-speed belongs in the Focus. Prolly not even 2200 RPMs @ 100 KM/H.

[right][snapback]199022[/snapback][/right]

that would suck. why do you want to make it slower? focus is geared too tall already
[right][snapback]199223[/snapback][/right]

Because the other 4 gears are by and large shorter than what we have already, and the 5th is the OD. What's wrong with that? The Focus would pick up an extra cog, we'd need less "space" between ratios and cruising could be just as good or even better.

The Aisin 6spd auto is the concours de elegance...it's ALWAYS in the right gear or right RPM band, and even at 160km/hr, it will kick down and give you a hefty amount of acceleration. Once the 3.5L is put in them, you can go Altima hunting...as you'll have a lighter car with more gears...hehehe...

The 2.3L wasn't bad either, with the Focus ST engine and transmission. Though I would agree that an aftermarket intake and whatnot might liven it up. The V6 has NO room under the hood for anything aftermarket...at least, not the ones I've ever looked at...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 27 2006, 12:22 PM Wrote:Because the other 4 gears are by and large shorter than what we have already, and the 5th is the OD. What's wrong with that? The Focus would pick up an extra cog, we'd need less "space" between ratios and cruising could be just as good or even better.
[right][snapback]199235[/snapback][/right]

i'm so confused how it the focus picking up an extra gear? focus comes with a 5spd trans.. that is geared super tall.. i just cant imagine a transmission with top gear 62mph 2200rpm to have 'short gearing'

5th gear at 62mph in my integra was around 3250rpm... 80mph is a bit over 4000rpm. that is more like it for an underpowered car. focus needs gears like that.
I was referring to the autotragic :)

The Focus only has a 4-speed plus the lockup torque converter.

NOS2Go4Me,Jul 30 2006, 06:50 PM Wrote:I was referring to the autotragic :)

[right][snapback]199847[/snapback][/right]

oh.