Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok Looking At A Hi-flow Universal Cat.
So yeah can anyone tell me if there is a REAL difference between a regular univeral cat and a high flow universal cat. How much more does it flow? does it work as well as the stock one and more importantly will I take a hit in flow/performance with just the regular universal cat?

here are the two I am looking at:

High Flow SS.

Regular universal cat.

Thanks!
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
Where are you going to put it ? I think if your swapping out your stock cat you probably want something high flow.
hardk0re,Jan 30 2006, 02:51 AM Wrote:Where are you going to put it ?  I think if your swapping out your stock cat you probably want something high flow.
[right][snapback]167461[/snapback][/right]

I have long tube headers so it's going in after that and then a cat back exhaust after it.
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
anyone else wanna spill their 2cents?
***want to buy***
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Certainly,

Just make sure that the cat is close enough to the long tube header, then the flex pipe then as short a pipe (if any) before the cat.

If not, the cat will be useless and you'll just run into future emissions problems.

For what your doing, a universal cat will be fine, but might not last as long as a good SS hi-flow cat.

It's always a case of you get what you pay for. If this car is long term for you, get the hi flow and any future mods to the car will be well represented.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
high flow cats usually have a much better honeycomb than standard Universal Cats. the flow difference will depend on the cats in question but a high flow and standard version from the same company usually have about a 30% difference in flow.
what this equates to as far as power is minal unless you are flowing more than usual amounts of exhaust through the car.

on the flip side, due to the ability to flow more, high flow cats are often not as good when it comes to reducing emmissions like a standard Cat.

as for the placement of the cat, you can stick it anywhere.
we stick them just after the flex in the fist section of the exhaust.

the hotter the cat, the better it works(to a point). the closer to the ports off the head, the faster the cat heats up.
these 2 reasons are why the Focus and most new cats have the cats so close to the head... faster heat-up, hotter = better emmissions.

when it comes to emmissions testing, all you have to do is keep the rpm up around 2000-3000 while waiting in line before the test. this keeps the cat super hot and thus cleans the gas coming out of the engine better.

we have done this on many cars without any issues, all of the cars pass our AirCare testing out here so i doubt there would be much issue with your car out there.
the Magnaflow SS cat you have listed there is the unit we use exclusively.