Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Turbo?
buy a car bossted out of the box....problem solved.
I was led to believe by years of automotive production that sequential twin-turbos worked best on higher-displacement, hgiher exhaust-volume engines. Hence, this is why this set-up worked best on the Toyota Supra and its inline-6, no?

I would assume a twin, non-sequential setup would work best for extreme V6s/V8s, but a single turbo is more prevalent - ie. the Grand Nat.

6 cylinders' worth of exhaust gas turning 2 turbos would work better than 4 cylinders' worth of exhaust gas.

Even the Grand Nat had one turbo for 3.8L' worth of exhaust.

The Maserati XR4Ti was a Bi-Turbo setup, wasn't it? Or was there a different Maserati BiTurbo? :huh:
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
[quote=NOS2Go4Me,Nov 1 2005, 09:11 PM]
I was led to believe by years of automotive production that sequential twin-turbos worked best on higher-displacement, hgiher exhaust-volume engines. Hence, this is why this set-up worked best on the Toyota Supra and its inline-6, no?

I would assume a twin, non-sequential setup would work best for extreme V6s/V8s, but a single turbo is more prevalent - ie. the Grand Nat.

6 cylinders' worth of exhaust gas turning 2 turbos would work better than 4 cylinders' worth of exhaust gas.

*They used twin turbo in the supra and 300zx to reduce lag and to produce a flatter torque curve,but now with today technology turbo lag is reduced big time with ball bearing turbo and direct injection(FSI),you will start to see on a newer turbocharged cars that they use FSI ,engine compression ratio is on the high side like 9+:1.The reason why they use this system is to eliminate turbo lag and to meet the new emission regulations.In addition to that fuel economy is improved because the engine is tuned to run a bit leaner. The new audi A3 2.0t and mazdaspeed6 use this system B)
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 1 2005, 09:11 PM Wrote:The Maserati XR4Ti was a Bi-Turbo setup, wasn't it? Or was there a different Maserati BiTurbo? :huh:
[right][snapback]153009[/snapback][/right]

you are thinking of the Merkur.... with the cosworth engine also a ford product. Nice lil car but they made it too space aged for it's time but then again that's what you get when you supply your design team with designer drugs and lock them in a room. Maybe this explains the new BMW designs as of late :1gayfight2:

[Image: purple223.jpg]
***want to buy***
MBRP................ check
SCT Xcal2 ........ check
VF mounts
Adj. Dampers ... check
Meford's Mom.... sale pending
The twin turbo focus has been done. f2 focus preformance did a twin turbo 2.3 duratec. He is running a t3 and a t4 turbo the new isssue of modified has artical on the car. it says the guy is getting between 350 -400 hp.
D-Dub,Sep 2 2005, 11: Wrote:Never heard of one liter cars or turbos designed for them, so hence why I said there would be lag................
[right][snapback]138616[/snapback][/right]

Chevy Turbo Sprint/Pontiac Turbo Firefly/Suzuki Forsa Turbo, 2 generations worth, all had intercooled 1.0L turbo engines.

Some Subaru Justy's. Mazda MX-3 GTX had a 1.6 turbo.

Most of the small cars in Japan have 656cc turbo engines.

I don't think I really had a point here.... I just used to drive a modified Turbo Sprint....
White 2001 ZX3
17" FRPP White Rally Wheels, KW Cup Kit (1.6"Wink, Progress 22mm Rear Sway, Short Ram Intake w/K&N Cone, Steeda 65mm TB, Ported 2k Manifold, FRPP 9mm Wires, MAC UDP, Clear Markers, OBX 4-1 Shorty Header, OBX ORP, FS Flex, 2nd Gen. MBRP Exhaust, FS/SCT Multi Chip

My Focus
My Photography
silvermist,Jan 21 2006, 12:59 AM Wrote:The twin turbo focus has been done. f2 focus preformance did a twin turbo 2.3 duratec. He is running a t3 and a t4 turbo  the new isssue of modified has artical on the car. it says the guy is getting between 350 -400 hp.
[right][snapback]166155[/snapback][/right]

That number is BS. It's just a guestimate of what it would do if they could get it to run. But it doesn't. It's never been on a dyno.

Most of the show cars you see in those mags have never been run on a dyno. They just arrive at the HP number via ricer math.
P-51,Jan 21 2006, 08: Wrote:
silvermist,Jan 21 2006, 12:59 AM Wrote:The twin turbo focus has been done. f2 focus preformance did a twin turbo 2.3 duratec. He is running a t3 and a t4 turbo  the new isssue of modified has artical on the car. it says the guy is getting between 350 -400 hp.
[right][snapback]166155[/snapback][/right]

That number is BS. It's just a guestimate of what it would do if they could get it to run. But it doesn't. It's never been on a dyno.

Most of the show cars you see in those mags have never been run on a dyno. They just arrive at the HP number via ricer math.
[right][snapback]166200[/snapback][/right]

I bet they could easily hit 500HP with some more stickers.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!