Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ford's Tdci / Tddi Engines, Why Not Canada?
Well I for one want to rant at Ford right about now. You think that with gas prices going well over $1L all over canada and gas in the states averaging $3.50 a gallon, you'd think that ford would consider bring the TDCI / TDDI engines to the ford line up for the Focus, Escape, and Explorers that they offer everywhere else in the world, but here.

I mean yeah it's cool Idea to have a Hybrid, or a methane powered car, but really diesel would be a good option for people with gas prices being this high. I've hear that in some provinces people have been returning their SUV's in droves to get something cheaper on fueling, So why not diesel then ??

To me offering a good (not great) Diesel option would be warmly welcomed in a world that is seeing high prices at the pump, and no sign of a price drop in the pump for at least a year or two. Given the change to go for a focus with a TDCI / TDDI option I would have jumped on it, and I'm sure a few of you would have too it's a good idea don't you think?
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
I don't think the TCDI engines will work (well enough to meet emmision standards) with current pump diesel being offered in North America. Our fuel is supposed to be brought to something simialr to the European standard in 2007(?).

Maybe then you get your dream car?
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
As I said in my thread about the Foci I drove while in Europe, and gas prices there, their REGULAR unleaded is 95 Octane, and according to a mechanic I know that worked here and now lives there, he says that's an accurate measurement when judged against ours (i.e. regular = 87 in Canada)... the petrol and diesel here is just not refined enough.
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
Diesel cars do not have to pass emission testing that a regular gas powered car does. All they do is start the car and look to see that it is not smoking at idle and the car will pass. It's a much easier test than you or I have to pass. So back to the argument of why Ford is fawking stupid. I keep hearing that they might do it as early as this year for the Focus, but I am not holding my breathe.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
Before I purchased my focus early last year I almost purchased a 91 VW TDI, but decided they were a little expensive for what I wanted to spend. If Ford did eventually bring them here, I would seriously consider purchasing one almost immediately, providing it gets 1000 km per tank!!
Skirt, Volant Intake, HID projectors, Eibach Suspension, SVT rims
I totally agree with most comments about why these engines would be a major asset to ford to bring them here from europe. I mean if they have to bring the Euro moedels of the Focus here just for the engines, then I say do so and bit the bullet on it already.

If things keep going as they are We might be paying $2L for regular gas by christmas with the oil plants in the south down for up to a year or more in some cases, Diesel would be a great option for those that make less then $20k a year like I do.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
Affordable TDI...

hmmmmm, this could be a good move on Ford's part.

They cant just keep that market wide open to VW & Mercedes......
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
As hybrids are stupid-expensive, a turbo-diesel Focus would end up being the smash hit economy car of this/next year, easily.

A hybrid Focus could be even more entertaining. Imagine, a Focus that easily obtains > 60MPG city/highway, is sometimes emisssions-free... that would be killer!

The performance potential isn't quite there, but the mind-boggling fuel economy is. Given the direction of the gas market, I'm all for that.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
1) north america doesn't believe in low sulfur fuel, and it would be like pouring mud into and engine that normally runs clear fuel.

2) the cost to bring it over in a market where the profit margins favour SUVs is prohibitive (they won't even bring over the updated chasis to the NA focus.. would they spend money on a whole new drivetrain)?.

3) if it's anything like the TDI VW's, the car would smell like a semi on the inside (what is it about diesel smell that's so pervasive?)...

4) North american gas is nowhere near the price point of europe to make everyone WANT that fuel mileage.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

darkpuppet,Sep 1 2005, 10:56 AM Wrote:3)  if it's anything like the TDI VW's, the car would smell like a semi on the inside (what is it about diesel smell that's so pervasive?)...

[right][snapback]138107[/snapback][/right]

I would say this is a valid point with older model ones, but in the fathers TDI, you do not smell it at all. 1st thing in the morning when you start it up you'll smell it, but thats if your soutside or with the windows down.
We were just talking about the diesel foci at work here AND WONDERING WHAT they are worth, because one guy wants to import one!!

[Image: Picture045.jpg]
[Image: Picture048.jpg]
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
If this was available here i would have looked into it more than thought. And my dad would have never bought the jette, even if the foci doesn't get 1000km a tank....its a ford

just imagine what mods we could do.....like the diesel trucks :P
2005 ZX4 SOLD! ST; 1992 Mustang 5.0L S/C

[Image: lakemitchellsml.jpg][Image: burnout1sml.jpg]
If Mazda is Ford, and Mazda got the new Gen. 2 Focus chassis for the Mazda3... why don't we all just petition Mazda? Apparently they have more pull than we do.

Also, the Volvo S40 is the Gen. 2 chassis as well, is it not? Why not argue for a diesel-powered Volvo? It might detract from their "Superman" styling of late, but it's still a Volvo after all.

EDIT - I saw a guy with a Ford PowerStroke or somesuch new F350 Diesel practically LIQUIFY the tires on his pickup the other day. Apparently he had a tune and a nice big 4-5" MBRP exhaust on there. It sounded like it was going to shear the tarmac from the roadbed. :o
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NOS2Go4Me,Sep 1 2005, 11:49 AM Wrote:EDIT - I saw a guy with a Ford PowerStroke or somesuch new F350 Diesel practically LIQUIFY the tires on his pickup the other day. Apparently he had a tune and a nice big 4-5" MBRP exhaust on there. It sounded like it was going to shear the tarmac from the roadbed. :o
[right][snapback]138124[/snapback][/right]

A freind of mine has a pro-tuned GMC Deisel truck. He hangs with M3's on the highway. :o :o :o
[st to bring it over in a market where the profit margins favour SUVs is prohibitive (they won't even bring over the updated chasis to the NA focus.. would they spend money on a whole new drivetrain)?.
[right][snapback]138107[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think the SUV market might start to slow down when the gas is this high and climbing quick, people aren't going to go out and but an expensive vehicle just to have to fill it up every week for $150-200 ;) .

My dad filled the truck up at 98 cents and it cost $92. This really sucks for people who actually NEED a truck, for either the line of work they do, or if they have a boat that needs towing
2001 SE Sedan
gas mileage King of FocusCanada!

760.8km on 45L
crazikev,Sep 1 2005, 11:04 AM Wrote:............, or if they have a boat that needs towing
[right][snapback]138130[/snapback][/right]

Poor thing, I feel sooooooooo sorry for some guy with a boat so big it needs a diesle truck to move it. :rolleyes: :lol:
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Again I'm in agreement with almost all of you on this topic, I'm sure most of you didn't know that the European model of the Honda Civic Sedan only comes as a Hybrid now, and people have the choice of a normal Hybrid, or Hybrid-DI and their Hybrid-DI gets better feul mileage then the regular Hybrid.

I'd love to see a diesel powered Hybrid Focus, just think about it really, you'd get well over 1000kms to a tank easily.
There are too many American type people and farmers in North America that Ford, GM, and Cryslyer don't care about selling a vehicle that's cheap and gets good milege. They say "20mpg highway, thats good enough for government work". Remember, buying a higher price vehicle has a higher mark up.

DRyanC
2000 Black ZX3 (sold)
2007 Liquid Grey ZX5 ses (sold)
2007 CD Silver ZXW ses
2013 F150 crew xlt 4x4 blue flame