Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Car Impounded
StreetEdition,May 4 2009, 06:08 AM Wrote:so whats the deal with not popping your hood for a city cop?  yay or nay?
[right][snapback]286446[/snapback][/right]

The answer here I think falls into two categories:

Law / Life

Law

It would appear that the city cop wouldn't have jurisdiction to force you to pop your hood for an inspection on request.

Life

It's a cop, you play smart with them and they'll find something to bust you on. Ultimately it'll probably be BS and you can win, but is it worth the time, money and aggrivation you'll have to deal with just to say "Hey I busted a cop"?

I don't know about you but frankly I have better things to do with my time (and nothing to hide under my hood, not like the average police officer would know the difference underhood between stock and not :P )

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 4 2009, 10:28 AM Wrote:
StreetEdition,May 4 2009, 06:08 AM Wrote:so whats the deal with not popping your hood for a city cop?  yay or nay?

Law / Life

Law

It would appear that the city cop wouldn't have jurisdiction to force you to pop your hood for an inspection on request.

Life

It's a cop, you play smart with them and they'll find something to bust you on. Ultimately it'll probably be BS and you can win, but is it worth the time, money and aggrivation you'll have to deal with just to say "Hey I busted a cop"?

I don't know about you but frankly I have better things to do with my time (and nothing to hide under my hood, not like the average police officer would know the difference underhood between stock and not :P )

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]286474[/snapback][/right]

Well apperently open Intake is not legal as well
2002 Ford Focus ZTS (Gave it away)
125whp/129wtq
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with JDM 6 speed
207whp/273wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 2)13.9@99mph
320whp/330wtq Innovative tuned on Mustang dyno (Stage 3)
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
2008 Honda CBR600RR "Silver Bullet" R.I.P.
2009 Honda CBR600RR "To Punish & Enslave"
2001 Honda CBR F4i Stunt bike "Burn the Rubber, not your soul"
2013 China 90cc dirt bike
NikiterZTS,May 4 2009, 11:32 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,May 4 2009, 10:28 AM Wrote:

Law / Life

Law

Life

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]286474[/snapback][/right]

Well apperently open Intake is not legal as well
[right][snapback]286477[/snapback][/right]

It technically isn't since it s part of the emissions equipment on the car.

So...Adam...talk to the cop yet? Wanna clear the air?
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Waiting to hear back from my cousin who's an Inspector with O.P.P. Haliburton. Might also have my Dad call the almighty Cam Wooley and ask him - lol better him than me! :lol: :lol:

The 'rents stopped by last night on a protracted trip back to Toronto from Sudbury and I mentioned it to him.

He's interested now as he has a fully modified (body, susp, engine, trans) Fiero. :lol:

FWIW an open intake element is fine, so long as your PCV routes back to the intake. I was told once that my APC PCV filter that I had on the SPI was a "grey area"... pretty sure it was the same MTO guy I spoke to when I did my gauge cluster swap a few years back (when the odo numbers were nowhere near each other).

I just had a brainwave, actually. I'll post back up if it pans out.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I think you're assuming a lot. Now, I've never gotten a ticket for an open air filter, and many cops have seen mine under the focus's hood, but I am 100% correct in saying it is technically against the law to have one. As soon as you touch any emissions equipment on the car, you are breaking the law, easy as that man.
Flofocus,May 5 2009, 08:07 AM Wrote:I think you're assuming a lot.  Now, I've never gotten a ticket for an open air filter, and many cops have seen mine under the focus's hood, but I am 100% correct in saying it is technically against the law to have one.  As soon as you touch any emissions equipment on the car, you are breaking the law, easy as that man.
[right][snapback]286573[/snapback][/right]

Ah but there again, life vs. law...

Legally in the province of Ontario any tinting the forward windows of a car (driver & passenger side is illegal (S.73/74 of the HTA) but no cops push it unless its limo tint and / or the driver is being an @$$hat.

There are so many shades of grey in the world :unsure:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,May 5 2009, 10:00 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,May 5 2009, 08:07 AM Wrote:I think you're assuming a lot.   Now, I've never gotten a ticket for an open air filter, and many cops have seen mine under the focus's hood, but I am 100% correct in saying it is technically against the law to have one.  As soon as you touch any emissions equipment on the car, you are breaking the law, easy as that man.
[right][snapback]286573[/snapback][/right]

Ah but there again, life vs. law...

Legally in the province of Ontario any tinting the forward windows of a car (driver & passenger side is illegal (S.73/74 of the HTA) but no cops push it unless its limo tint and / or the driver is being an @$$hat.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]286589[/snapback][/right]

Cops generally reflect the general population ... within any force there's going to be a-holes, good guys, easy going guys, good looking chicks, dykes, young punks, dad types, cops of colour, racists, nerds (well, maybe not), sticklers, live and let live types, and any combination of the above you can think of.

The problem is that the police force is like a box of chocolates - you never know what the next one is going to be like.

The first step in mitigating this situation is to do nothing that get's you pulled over ... and if you do, park your attitude and ego and do whatever it takes to diffuse the situation - because once you're pulled over you are no longer in the driver's seat and you just don't know how short a straw you pulled until it's too late.

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
From a pretty good source. This guy organizes a lot of the shows around town and is always in contact with the police...

Quote:I just got off the phone a bit ago with Sgt Mark Gatien, Beisdes more air support this summer, more cops patrolling for project erase, they are bringing in the mto road side testers. This means they can pull anyone over and do a on site smog test. So for anyone running a test pipe. You will lose your car on the spot, I couldnt get too far into other details as we got busy but this summer is looking like a bust.

So keep your heads up and watch out for this, esp the on site smog check.

:ph34r:
bye-bye catless downpipe :(
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
NikiterZTS,May 6 2009, 03:54 PM Wrote:bye-bye catless downpipe :(
[right][snapback]286745[/snapback][/right]

...and its only going to get worse for us. :(
So who wants to start up a barracade on the 401? Anyone?

How bout a protest march or slow traffic protest?

:lol:
Sold:2001 SE 2.0L SPI w/60mm TB, Steeda Shorty Intake.

Active: 2007 SES Hatch, Motegi MR7 Rims with 215/45ZR17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, debadged, black painted calipers and drums, RS Knob, CFM Short Throw, Billet E-Brake, CFM Focus pedals, MBRP Exhaust, XCal2, FS Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars, Diamond Plate Floor Mats and Sills, Alpine MP3 Deck, Alpine V-Power 300w Amp, Pioneer IMPP Sub, AlpineType-S door speakers, VF Engineering Rear Motor Mount, F2 RS Spoiler, Tokico D-spec shocks, HTP Cross Brace, EBC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Brake Lines, RS Wheel, SVT Blue Seats, Vibrant 2.5" Race Highflow Cat, CFM UDP. Rear SVT bumper to come.

Active: 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TJ [LJ], Volant CAI, 32" BFG Mud Terrains, and a whole bunch of goodies. Big Grin
i dont see the big deal in having a high-flo cat anyway, its not like it hinders performance, and if it does its probably very minimal.
Little bit of show, little bit of go.
Spinal,May 6 2009, 09:48 PM Wrote:i dont see the big deal in having a high-flo cat anyway, its not like it hinders performance, and if it does its probably very minimal.
[right][snapback]286780[/snapback][/right]

with F/I it makes quit a difference in 5-10whp(wtq), spool time ect.
125whp/129wtq
352whp/360wtq Dynojet
13.3@106mph
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
I dunno,

I tend to think that a car that came with emmissions equipment from the factory should not have it removed entirely for a car that is meant for street use.

Considering what a catalytic converters main purpose is, I would suggest that leaving it in place is a good thing for a car that will be a daily driver. If all the car is, is a track beast then I think its okay to remove it as the car will only be run occassionally.

NefCanuck
It depends on the engine. The seocndary cat on the 2.0/2.3L Duratecs is literally the California emissions cat - there's no sensor attached to it, it just does "extra scrubbing" and power robbing to meet Cali emissions. On Cali and other "Cali emissions" cars, one of the exhaust pipes after the secondary cat measures O2 and the slight detune on those motors reflects the extra emissions compliance effort.

That's why I had zero complaints about removing it on my 07 when I was at MBRP and we were "re-engineering" their exhaust offerings.

On the 3.0L Duratec V6 for Fusion/Escape and others? Not 100% sure yet. I've checked out the exploded parts diagram I got from Stockfish and I've thrown the truck on my ramps... there are three major modules aft of the y-pipe/flexpipe area, and I'm fairly sure that the first one is a secondary cat. I didn't see any sensor wires so I'm assuming for now that it's the same design concept as the 4-cyls. I need to clarify the parts with the Parts desk at Stockfish before going ahead with my redesign. It IS coming, howeverr. ;)

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
NefCanuck,May 5 2009, 11:00 AM Wrote:Ah but there again, life vs. law...

NefCanuck

Its so ironic, cus if you look at the cop cars on the road, some of them are tinted to sh1ts on the front windows, which is illegal in ontario, then they can pull over someone else with any tint on the front windows and give them a ticket. Laws are mesesd up.
My other ride is your Mom
paolo,May 8 2009, 12:24 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,May 5 2009, 11:00 AM Wrote:Ah but there again, life vs. law...

NefCanuck

Its so ironic, cus if you look at the cop cars on the road, some of them are tinted to sh1ts on the front windows, which is illegal in ontario, then they can pull over someone else with any tint on the front windows and give them a ticket. Laws are mesesd up.
[right][snapback]286953[/snapback][/right]

Ah but there again. In fact the HTA gives the "enforcement authorities" specific exemption from the ban on teh front tinting of windows (and an exemption as to the degree of tinting as well, they can have limo tint, no problem)

NefCanuck
Ontario is becoming the "Nazi State" as far as car laws go nowadays...
Bleeding Ford Blue again...
Drivesthebeast,May 8 2009, 07:42 PM Wrote:Ontario is becoming the "Nazi State" as far as car laws go nowadays...
[right][snapback]286988[/snapback][/right]

QFT.