Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring Hella Question
Hi, I have a set of hella lights and I was wondering if you could wire them to the existing wiring. Here's what I'm asking but more clearly:

The existing 2000 ZX3 headlights are a dual coil (one coil highbeam and one coil lowbeam). There are three wires going into the bulb adapter (one black, one green, and one white I think). Can I splice those wires and send one wire (the one responsible for the high beam) to the high beam light along with a ground. Then send the other wire (the one responsible for the low beam) to the low beam hella light along with a ground?

Will all this work with the existing switch and relays?

Will there be enough power for this?

Does anyone know what the three existing wires are coloured and what they are meant for?
you mean by hella lights the projectors???
00 DAKOTA R/T.......I just didnt like the torque of the Focus thats all...!!!
redsvtfocus,Apr 18 2005, 09:58 PM Wrote:you mean by hella lights the projectors???
[right][snapback]102531[/snapback][/right]

Yes sorry!
let me check my car tomorrow and I'll tell you...but for now dont do it the way you are thinking, cause I know you have to get power from the battery for the new high beams...so let me check.!

If somebody else has done it, maybe they now how-to right away.!

l8r.
00 DAKOTA R/T.......I just didnt like the torque of the Focus thats all...!!!
I'm assuming that the three wires we have going to the stock bulbs will be a power to the high beam coil, a power to the low beam coil and a neutral/negative wire.
MAlby7,Apr 18 2005, 08:40 PM Wrote:I'm assuming that the three wires we have going to the stock bulbs will be a power to the high beam coil, a power to the low beam coil and a neutral/negative wire.
[right][snapback]102558[/snapback][/right]

You're right about that.. you might be able to figure it out from some of the HID wiring guides on other forums. Not sure if the Hella projectors need anything other than the power going through those wires though..
i'm assuming that u don't have the wiring for the hella projectors....

i have a brand new full set of wiring for the DOT spec hella projectors... (hella USA sent me at the time i asked, when i was thinking my wires went bad, altho i asked them for e-code :lol: )

but anyways, i've compared those wires with the wires on my e-code hella, they are almost the same, just without the city light wire, and no wire for the height adjuster motor.

so if u want, i can just give the wires to you, that way u can wire them up easy :)

or, if i'm totally out of topic, just ignore me :P
2001 Yellow Focus ZX3
Ok mike, i pulled out the wiring info for our St170 lights and hope this helps.

First the Driver's side
high beam wire to green black stock wire
low beam wire to green orange stock wire
ground/black stock wire

Pass. Side
high beam wire to green orange wire
low beam wire to green white wire
black ground stock wire.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Apr 19 2005, 07:26 PM Wrote:Ok mike, i pulled out the wiring info for our St170 lights and hope this helps.

First the Driver's side
high beam wire to green black stock wire
low beam wire to green orange stock wire
ground/black stock wire

Pass. Side
high beam wire to green orange wire
low beam wire to green white wire
black ground stock wire.
[right][snapback]102766[/snapback][/right]

Dude you're a life saver! Thanks!

That's stupid how Ford would make the green/orange wire the low beam on the drivers side and the high beam on the passenger side! Is that an error or is Ford that stupid?
MAlby7,Apr 19 2005, 07:51 PM Wrote:Dude you're a life saver!  Thanks!

That's stupid how Ford would make the green/orange wire the low beam on the drivers side and the high beam on the passenger side!  Is that an error or is Ford that stupid?
[right][snapback]102773[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps thats why they stopped manufactureing the focus in mexico?
My other ride is your Mom
Actually, when you think about it, you don't want to pull that much current through one wire at the same time. Those wires are small and they would probably overheat. My first reaction was this was fuktarded too. But once the mech boy set me straight it was down right brilliant.

meford4u,Apr 19 2005, 10:23 PM Wrote:Actually, when you think about it, you don't want to pull that much current through one wire at the same time.  Those wires are small and they would probably overheat.  My first reaction was this was fuktarded too.  But once the mech boy set me straight it was down right brilliant.
[right][snapback]102815[/snapback][/right]

So you're saying not to use those wires? Ask your boy what he thinks!
No, you can use those wires. It will be fine. i was explaining to you why they use different coloured wires for the same application so the wires don't overheat. It makes sense to us to connect the green orange on both sides to the low beam, but then your using the whole wire drawing alot of current when both low beams are on. When you use two separate wires for the same application, not so much current, not so much pull and not so much fire.

WHO SAID FIRE>

Go ahead and use the wires for your new hella headlights. The boy said so.

Ok I got all confused about what you said.

I thought you said that the wires were too thin to use for the hella's but you meant..............................nevermind!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Euro Hella Wiring.... Chromey 15 3,530 01-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Chromey