Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12" Neons
I'm thinking of putting blue lights in my hatch to go with the stereo setup. Can I wire them into the hatch light somehow? Does that hatch light only go on when you open the trunk? What is better to go with neon or LED?
I would go with LED's Mike, simply for durability's sake. Should be easy enough to wire into the hatch light, but I'm not good with Electrical. Been thinking about doing blue LED's myself...
2000 Black ZX3
Blacked Out Head & Tail lights - APC Clear Turn Signals - 20% Tint All Round - K&N Filter - Cheap ass fogs that are brighter than my headlights - Clarion DXZ745MP - Jensen XA 4100 amp on Mobile Authority 200w 6x8's - Jensen 340w amp on a 12" Rockford Sub, custom enclosure - KYB GR2 Dampers - SHM Springs @ 1.5" - Brembo Cross Drilled Rotors w/ CVR Ceramic Pads - Silver Gauge Bezel - Focus Central 2-Piece Under Drive Pullies - 17 x 7 Rims by Fast Wheels mounted on 215/40/17's - Wings West W-Typ front lip - Coming Soon: Paint, Component Speakers (Spring 06)
MAlby7, are you talking about wiring a 12" LED to the small light that turns on when you open the hatch?

if you are, it can easily be done, i have a 6" LED tube wired up on my car and my mom's svt.

just have to take the fuse out for the light (don't know which one it is), cut and strip the wires on the LED, and light. connect them together either with inline crimp conectors, or by soldering them and using heatshink tubing. just make sure you have enough wire to move it where you want it.
'03 Focus SVT
the method metioned above is 1 option (a great one). Another is if you plan on running a couple of tubes and to prevent blown fuses, use a relay and use the trunk light as a switch then if you have a stereo use the power from you fuse block to actually power the lights. Then ground it to any ground available, but if you have never worked with relays its not to hard, just get some advice from your local stereo provider or ask here and i will do my best
/
David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
Ok guys where can I get the LED's?
think just about any stereo shop might have them. i do't know whats around toronto. i like the LED instead of the Neon tubes, just b/c they don't break and require less power.

NoiSeeVT, i have mine set up cause the way sub box sits and need a light in the back.
'03 Focus SVT
What do you guys think of These LED's quality and price wise?

Has anyone checked out these: Cold Cathodes
Hey check this site out. You can heat and bend the tubes to any shape that you want. http://www.elusionlighting.com . I have them on the under side of my car and they are unbreakable.
I went ahead and ordered 2 sets of those cold cathodes. They were by far the cheapest and brightest!
Never have seen the cathodes, but they seem intresting and the price is right. As for elusion, I tried some but wasnt to impressed (liked them better than LEDs.) they are much more flexible interms of ease of use and location, but the light that gets emitted did not seem as bright (IMO). Let us knwo how the cathodes work out, maybe time for something new.

David
[Image: sigfocuscanada.jpg]
i have one in my trunk, i baught the LED bar from Canadian tire :D , a whole $20 for a 12 inch tube. And it's bright and has like 10 different functions, i love it!
Any update on the cathodes? Have you installed them yet?
Ya I installed them under the dash so far. Just finished off most of the audio install this weekend. Going to finish it off and take pics of everything.