Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swapping Auto Shift Knob
I know it's been said that it's easy, but how exactly does one remove the stock auto shift knob and swap on a new one?

Any tips or tricks here? How about a how-to article?

Zoom, I think you've got an auto - how did you do yours?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I think the main problem is the O/D switch, you've got to re-wire that to an alternate location and put a switch.
Who cares about od. I never use it.
Run your car, not your mouth
ZOOM,Feb 7 2005, 03:27 AM Wrote:Who cares about od. I never use it.
[right][snapback]83888[/snapback][/right]

But you do use it, if you don't have the switch to turn it off :P

But yeah, I guess if you don't care to turn it off its not a big deal at all, just delete it ;)
I wired it to another switch just in case but hell I can't even be 100% sure when I am SUPPOSED to turn it off.
The shift to/from 3 and 4 is the weak point on that automatic. The fewer shifts between the 3 and 4 the longer it will last. I turn the OD off all the time and only turn it on for the highways.

Turning the OD off is also good for hills and passing.

There are a small number of knobs that retain the OD apparantly. The only ones I know of are Ford Europe ones. One is wood grain with chrome button and the other black with a chrome button. There is at least one aftermarket one out there but I don't know who makes it.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
[Image: pr-Shop_Tool_Accessories-DeWalt_High_Ten...zed200.gif]
The razo shifter retains a OD button, but its gigantic and cumbersome from what i have seen in pics. I switched to a momo shifter, I have no idea how to do it on an SPI though...
here's a link if your interested..it's from focus fanatics..it's got diagrams and everything (i think)

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthr...&threadid=25156

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Anarchy Motive shift knob Krusty Driver 6 4,446 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Krusty Driver
  Euro Shift Knob... Jmountney1 6 3,784 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Last Post: paolo
  Anyone Ever Installed A New Automatic Shift Knob? NefCanuck 7 3,960 09-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Last Post: ZTWsquared
  Shift Knob.... mn12bird 13 3,247 06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Focus man. Focus.