Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V8 Swap
The April '04 Sport Compact Car issue has a SC V8in a Focus Svt. Trying to figure how to post the pics.
$65k to build
459hp/466tq
0-60 4.8sec
12.7@116mph
1.02 g lat grip
pretty nice
to be honest, not that I'm dissin' the conversion (I love V8's) but for something of that cubic size, u'd think the 0-60 time would much quicker. Hell, the 2.0 Turbo focus RS does it in summit like 6.5seconds or something along those lines...
FastFord (March 2005)
Performance Ford (November 2005)
FastFord Thrash (January 2008)
Modified Nationals Top 25 (2005,2006)
FastFord (May 2009)
FastFord RS V ST Thrash (June 2009)
Would it being converted to a RWD slow down the 0-60 time?

I dunno. I have never driven a RWD car LOL
Nah if anything else, it helps the launch and acceleration with a natural translation of weight to the rear axle... provided the suspension is set up correctly.
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
That blown Focus is from ATI motorsports. The 0-60 times and the 1/4 times are off because it needed 4 people in it to even begin to get traction. That's what huge horsepower and torque will do for you.
[Image: 860doigiveadamn2yy.gif]

Prolly Is not a word
Im curious how long it sat there and spun before it went anywhere...
http://www.ford-v8-focus.com/

Check it out
2001 ZTS,Dec 28 2004, 02:01 AM Wrote:The short of it is V8 conversions, like AWD conversions, is an expensive novelty. Anyone would be better off just buying an STi or SRT-4 or whatever. If you had a sponsor, were confirmed on the show circuit, had unlimited funds or were a shop owner (access to cheap fabrication and labour) it may make sense.
[right][snapback]76533[/snapback][/right]

how is a rear wheel drive focus anywhere near similar to an sti or an srt 4? how can you come to the conclusion that it would be better to buy these cars? they are niether v8 or rear wheel drive, so they are not even similar cars.

2001 ZTS,Dec 28 2004, 02:14 AM Wrote:Oh and the fact that it is illegal in Ontario..............I won't look for a link but check out the "hot rod" excemption at DriveClean.ca(or .on?) but anyway you can't transplant a non factory production motor into a 1999 or LATER car.
[right][snapback]76536[/snapback][/right]

driveclean has nothing to do with the legality of cars in ontario, as long as it is equipped with the proper emmisions equipment.

2001 ZTS,Dec 28 2004, 02:25 AM Wrote:EDIT: not necessarily illegal but "difficult":

What happens if I change(d) the motor in my Light-Duty vehicle?

If the vehicle is included in the program (appropriate age, registered in the program area), it will be considered a hot rod if the motor differs from the type that was originally offered by the manufacturer for that particular model year. All hot rods registered as the model year 1999 or earlier will continue to be tested according to 1980 emission standards. Vehicles registered as model year 2000 and later will be tested according to emission standards for their model year. Vehicles built to non-Canadian standards but imported into Canada will be tested similarly. Other specialty vehicles will be tested according to 1980 emission standards for an indefinite period, except for vehicles that have "kit" marked on the vehicle licence. Kit cars are exempt from the Drive Clean program

It exposes a fault with DriveClean but if you think a V8 Mustang engine can pass the standard of a ZETEC then you may try. The fault is that anyone could have bought a "stinky" V8 but test at  a lower standard than someone who bought a Focus. DriveClean measures emmision instant volumes not tonnes emmsion-mile/year.
[right][snapback]76538[/snapback][/right]

its not hard to pass an emmissions test with a newer fuel injected v8 with its factory emmissions equipment, on an emmissions dyno in ontario, they put out similar readings anyway. ive seen newer grand marquis(4.6V8) with 0% NOX, O%CO and 0% HC....they would also pass under the focus limits.

you have to remember cars dont get tested at wide open throttle, they are tested at cruise, where they should be at their optimal air fuel ratios for the minimum emmissions.
SVT Motor Swap into 2000 zx3 with 5spd.
14.9 @ 93MPH
"I am going to run 5's .... I am planning on installing a rocket engine!"
If you put a V8 in a Focus, that is supposed to be a 4 cylinder, as it states on your vin tag, you would not even get on the dyno drive clean machine..........Instant fail.

Same way if you have no air bags where there should be air bags........instant fail.

If you swap a V8 for a V8, no problem.

But putting a bigger motor in means you better have friends in higher places especially now that the rules for drive clean have tightened up.

Wait wait wait, I have to back track a minute and explain myself........even to me!

What happens with drive clean with the engine swap, is the limits now become the earliest limits for that particular vehicle. Say you took your 2002 Focus and put a V8 in it. Your pass requirements would be in the hot rod category and your pass limits would be for the 1998 Focus, the first year it was sold in Ontario.

There, I am taking my foot squarely out of my mouth now.

TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
meford4u,Jan 11 2005, 03:33 AM Wrote:Your pass requirements would be in the hot rod category and your pass limits would be for the 1998 Focus, the first year it was sold in Ontario.

[right][snapback]78326[/snapback][/right]

1998 focus???

take foot out off of mouth then go to bed..... :rolleyes:
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
while the other foot is up your @5s???? :huh:
------------------------------------------------
-1991 Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
-2002 Red SVT focus # 2262 - sold
-2000 silver ZX3 - sold
french_connection,Jan 11 2005, 06:13 AM Wrote:
meford4u,Jan 11 2005, 03:33 AM Wrote:Your pass requirements would be in the hot rod category and your pass limits would be for the 1998 Focus, the first year it was sold in Ontario.

1998 focus???

take foot out off of mouth then go to bed..... :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]78337[/snapback][/right]

What a slap in the face, being corrected by a french guy. Fuktard

meford4u,Jan 11 2005, 03:33 AM Wrote:If you put a V8 in a Focus, that is supposed to be a 4 cylinder, as it states on your vin tag, you would not even get on the dyno drive clean machine..........Instant fail.

Same way if you have no air bags where there should be air bags........instant fail.

But putting a bigger motor in means you better have friends in higher places especially now that the rules for drive clean have tightened up.

Wait wait wait,  I have to back track a minute and explain myself........even to me!

What happens with drive clean with the engine swap, is the limits now become the earliest limits for that particular vehicle.  Say you took your 2002 Focus and put a V8 in it.  Your pass requirements would be in the hot rod category and your pass limits would be for the 1998 Focus, the first year it was sold in Ontario.

air bags??? who is talking about airbags??? you dont need airbags for an emmissions test.

you can still get your car on a driveclean if it has a V8 in a car that had a 4 cyl in it. it just has to follow the current emmission standards.
14.9 @ 93MPH
or just come to Saskatchewan and not have to worry about any of that junk..
ZX3TUNR,Jan 12 2005, 12:19 AM Wrote:or just come to Saskatchewan and not have to worry about any of that junk..
[right][snapback]78460[/snapback][/right]

actually if you are registered in northern part on ontario such as muskoka, you dont need one either.
14.9 @ 93MPH
boost til'bust,Jan 12 2005, 12:1 Wrote:
meford4u,Jan 11 2005, 03:33 AM Wrote:If you put a V8 in a Focus, that is supposed to be a 4 cylinder, as it states on your vin tag, you would not even get on the dyno drive clean machine..........Instant fail.

Wait wait wait,  I have to back track a minute and explain myself........even to me!

What happens with drive clean with the engine swap, is the limits now become the earliest limits for that particular vehicle.  Say you took your 2002 Focus and put a V8 in it.  Your pass requirements would be in the hot rod category and your pass limits would be for the 1998 Focus, the first year it was sold in Ontario.

air bags??? who is talking about airbags??? you dont need airbags for an emmissions test.

you can still get your car on a driveclean if it has a V8 in a car that had a 4 cyl in it. it just has to follow the current emmission standards.
[right][snapback]78459[/snapback][/right]

Now that you are wrong about my friend. If your cars vin was registered after 1990, you need airbags. No airbags, no pass.

meford4u,Jan 12 2005, 01:52 AM Wrote:Now that you are wrong about my friend.  If your cars vin was registered after 1990, you need airbags.  No airbags, no pass.
[right][snapback]78480[/snapback][/right]

your jumping all over the place...you were talking about emmissions tests earlier...you need airbags for safety...not an emmissions test, but what does that have anything to do with what we are talking about. you dont need to remove the airbags for a V8 swap.

14.9 @ 93MPH