Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's An Idea I'm Bringing Forward
I got no problem paying the extra fees. The sponsor covered me with a year of hosting but its just the extra thats is coming out of my pocket. When the site first started I was running the site off my personal computer and there were many times the site went down. The host I am going through is super good so if an event of emergency witch I doubt would ever happen they are pretty understanding.
ANTHONYD,May 13 2005, 02:27 AM Wrote:I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHO THE F U C K KEEPS DELETING POSTS!!!!

I POSTED HERE AND NOW IT'S GONE!!! :angry:
[right][snapback]108614[/snapback][/right]

I just noticed and went through the mods and admins and no one has been on in atleast an hour.

Maybe the site is somehow fawked.

Don't know the technical lingo so fawked it is.
TEAM PITA Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.

One day I will rule the world. For now, I have to settle for this place.
NOS2Go4Me,May 12 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:I guess I'm not done.

If this place turns into FJ... I'm gone.

There's a sense of real community here that you'll never find on the Jet, partly because we're Canadian. This is THE Canadian Focus club, and rightfully so.

Again, if everyone wants to treat this place like the Jet, then it WILL end up like the Jet with nothing but trash-talking newbs, large bills, and large ads to pay the bills. There's what, 5 guys in the SPI forum that are hardcore members, and 30-40 in the main tuning areas? That's sad. We're close to that here with a fraction of the membership because this place is QUALITY, not quantity.

I'm trying to understand everyone's abhorrence of an optional support system. If you don't like it, don't support it. No one is twisting your arm in the matter.

What I had come up with was an idea where anyone could sponsor a draw for contributing members. This responsibility wouldn't just fall with company sponsors (although their support would be cool) but contributing members if they so desired. Flo's Stanley Cup draw that I won my awesome door pull covers comes to mind - they're still my fave interior item, period :D The idea behind the draw was that more contributing members meant a better server / better reliability and a more active community.

I'm all for it personally, and I was/am more than ready to sponsor a month's draw for (insert item here). Maybe it's just my nature, maybe I view money as something different than the rest of you. I currently co-sponsor and co-host North Bay's most successful LAN party in years (last 6 anyways). We've got store sponsorship and a new location as of July as well. Every other month I sponsor $30-40 dollars' worth of store merchandise from our sponsor's store as a free door prize. On alternating months, the owners do the same. I've actually won once in 6 months. :)

Again, it's what I like to do (support community-minded events and organizations) so my view on it is largely different than most by the looks of all of it.

Rather than bitch about people, I ought to just respect their ideas and beliefs.

Actually, I've got some more even WACKIER ideas
[right][snapback]108542[/snapback][/right]

Nobody said this place would turn into the Jet. I'm positive there are a good number of guys on here that would die trying NOT to let this place end up that way.

If this place ends up like the Jet, I'm the first one out of here. As it stands, this place runs on it's own, whay mess with it. If you want to funnel a couple of clams to Jay once in a while, please do.

I would be the first guy to send scratch to Jay if he needed it.

Just realx, sit back and enjoy FC.
I think we need some Bring Back ZTS Stickers or something. :D
05 Altima SE-R
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9: Flowmaster; K&N
05 300C 5.7: Sold
99 Civic SIR: Sold
03 Focus SVT: Sold
01 Focus ZX3: Sold
I'm not putting down your suggestion, it's always nice to give back, but until Jay says he's running everything out of pocket, I'm not going to just give him money to mod his car :P

no offense Jay.

if the help were needed, he has it... but giving him money to run the site when it's already sufficiently funded is giving money to Jay's Boosted Charity. And you're relegated to nightshading yet another light emitting trim piece on your car.

And personally, once again, no offence to anyone, but I would pay for focaljet. I wouldn't pay for this site. You don't have to feel loved and part of a community to get good info on tuning guidance or suspension setup.

I bet there's a lot more people on FJ that have corner balanced their cars than you'd find here, where the majority of suspension mods seem to be lowering springs matched with stock struts.

There's a fundamental difference... I like everyone here, and it's great that we can all 'hang out', but the fundamental reason for being here is to share my experiences with the canadian community.. to give advice and help where I am able and capable. If I started paying for this site, I'd have to start charging for advice that I give, or help that I give.

There honestly comes a point where I can't afford to pay for everything, and not get paid for what I contribute... I'm not THAT rich.

...and sooner or later other people would realize paying to 'hang out and give free help' isn't in their best interest either.

I agree that it's nice to give once in a while, I've given without the need to be recognized for it, so don't be disappointed that more people aren't giving. The site is running, and things seem under control.

If you really want to contribute to the site, GET INVOLVED! Mod your focus, post pics, how-to's, arrange meets, attend meets, buy from sponsors!... show them your support, and they'll return the love.
Contribute to focuscanada.net's future!

Donations of $20 and over get a custom title!

Just incase I didnt mention it already....

Thanks Steve for the free Datalogging. Really appreciated. :P :lol:
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
I'm glad if nothing else I've spurred a reasonable and proper debate over the correct ways to go about things like this.

On that note, and in disregard of the fact my amp's more dead than Elvis Presley's libido (HEY-O!), I'd like to sponsor some sort of draw (monthly) to actually draw more member involvement.

The winner would get a store credit to Steeda.ca, ZX3Tuning.com, or something like that.

It's in its infancy, but could prove fun. It'd be like Flo's door pull giveaway. :)

PM away with your ideas on how to work this, I won't chew up thread space anymore.

I would like to quickly thank everyone for responding maturely and rationally. :)

Maybe voting on a monthly poll or being an active member with real contributing posts (reasonable anyways) would gain you automatic entry.

If nothing else, the prizes I'd sponsor would be ICE (rICE?), LEDs and cold cathodes, and just about anything else 12V-powered that crosses over between cars and computers. I'll lean on my buddy that sponsors my LANs to sponsor the club and maybe even advertising. Jay, can you PM me the monthly banner advertising rates?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
I like it dood, from the first post onward.

Problem here is... we're a pretend club for the most part. There are a few guys in each city that actually get together and enjoy the spirit of our club... but how often does it act like a club? I've been privy, while being associated with Steeda.ca, to deal with clubs like the GTAMC, LAMC etc... that are the real deal. The main reason they are so successful is because of the the quality of members and organizers (and close geography). No offence, but trying to do something for the good of the group here is like hearding cats.

Don't get me wrong, I have much respect for and enjoy the company of 90% of the people here but that doesn't mean we're a well functioning club representing.

So here is my two cents... i would love to give some monetary support for raffles, charity, meets, events, or whatever... if I thought it would be appreciated. I just don't think it would be... sad huh. Steeda.ca was providing cash when required as sponsorship and they got turfed like yesterday's trash. (not intended to spark an argument or point fingers, just a perfect example like or not)

There were some great replies here and some evident issues with the how's but shiat... if it was easy... you know the rest. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the club has no common objective or direction, and I'll be the first in line to help if it ever wants to grow up. Regardless, I wish more people had visions for this club and shared them.

"What's worse than being blind? Having sight with no vision" Helen Keller (spelling? lol)

Superb thoughts Adam, and props for spitting it out and defending.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA
I try to do my part to keep this place as a club. Sure I whore like a Baltic window slut but I at least i contribute by organizing meets, bbqs and such. If I can atleast get the guys together once every few months to shoot the s**t and drink some beers I feel I have done my part.
ANTHONYD,May 16 2005, 09:37 AM Wrote:I try to do my part to keep this place as a club. Sure I whore like a Baltic window slut but I at least i contribute by organizing meets, bbqs and such. If I can atleast get the guys together once every few months to shoot the s**t and drink some beers I feel I have done my part.
[right][snapback]109176[/snapback][/right]

werd dood, I know you do.
2004 SVT 3Dr

STKVSTDA