Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Engine Problems
I've been having some issues with my focus, bad gas milage, slow almost laggish of the line starts, exhaust sounds alot louder and alot more engine noise. My question is, could all this be tied into an exhaust leak or is it something internal that I might have to worry about. The car has 66,000 kms on it, and she's a 2001 automatic. Got any ideas??? :blink:
Probably DPFE/EGR. There was a big post in the last month or so with all the info you'll need. Even if you are outside your 3 year warranty this fix should be no charge.
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
Do you have an intake on your Focus? if you do look at it carefully I had a small leak on mine and it gave me similar headaches as you are describing.
1972 Austin Mini | 1989 Mini30 | 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS
PCV
fuel pump/filter
DPFE
bad cat
exhaust leak
Just to name a few.

Here is some suggestions.
If you havn't do the fuel pump recall yet, go do it. And try to have the dealer to check ur DPFE and cat as well.
If you havn't replace the fuel filter since you get ur car, replace it.
Check ur air filter, if oil in there replace the PCV.
Last is check ur and exhaust.
2000 ZX3: KW coil-over/IceMan/FC UPD/Megaflow cat-back /energy bushing all over/Ported TB/home make ground wires

260000km and counting.....
I haven't done the fuel pump yet, but that was on e of the possibilities I was thinkking of. I'm almost positive that its an exhasut leak now. Back when I got the header installed the mechanic re-installed the old gaskets from the header-to-Cat, and the Cat-to-flexpipe.
I had a leak in my exhaust, got it fixed, and still the same s**t. I found a small hole in my intake, fixed that and the problem still occurs. Taking it to the dealership this week. Let those guys fix it. BTW how hard is it to change the fuel filter,and where is it located?????
laidman,Nov 1 2004, 11:09 AM Wrote:I had a leak in my exhaust, got it fixed, and still the same s**t. I found a small hole in my intake, fixed that and the problem still occurs. Taking it to the dealership this week. Let those guys fix it. BTW how hard is it to change the fuel filter,and where is it located?????
Not hard, and it's located under the car near the fuel tank.
im having the same problems as you are minus the louder exhaust... i changed my dpfe and its still occurring.. on the topic of the feul pump the dealer has told me i have had one replaced before when the car was newer and that if i was to replace it now i wouldnt be able to replace it again because its extended coverage only covers till one screws up, then they give you 1 new one and thats all. so he advised me to wait till it actually breaks....psycho.....what if im in a snowstorm or something wild..
anyways, let me know what us find cuz i cant get any other info...
2001 ZX3..
Mods - Coming Soon
Tinited with Skull decal on front bumper passenger side.
WHAT FUKIN s**t HEADS, i DROP OFF THE CAR AT 8AM YESTERDAY, I HAVE TO CALL THEM AT 12 TO FIND OUT WHATS GOING ON, "OH, WE HAVEN'T LOOKED AT YOUR CAR YET, WHY THE FUK DID I BRING IT THERE THAT EARLY. IT WAS ABOUT 3PM BY THE TIME THEY LOOKED AT THE CAR, AND ALL THEY COULD SAY TO ME WAS BECAUSE OF THE MODDS ON THE CAR THEY CAN'T HOOK IT UP TO THE COMPUTER TO GET A DIAGNOSIS, BECAUSE THEY WILL SHOW DIFFERENT READINGS, AS APPOSED TO STOCK, FUK OFF!!!!!

RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

FUK THE DEALERSHIP, I'M TAKING MY CAR TO A MECHANIC THAT I CAN TRUST, IF THERE IS SUCH A THING.
I talked to the mechanic, they did there once over of the car, and found that my Cat is all plugged up. They measured heat from the inlet pipe, and the outlet pipe, going in to the cat should be cooler than when it exits, mine reads 250 going in and 180 going out So I call the dealership, because the cat has a 5year 80,000km warrany on it. I tell them my findiings, they tell me that until my check engine light comes on and gives them a code that my cat is bad they can't do anything. I also tell them that I'm just under a half a tank of gas, and my odometer reads 165km they still tell me that until that fukking llight comes on I'm SOL. Anyways I'm going in there on Monday to raise s**t.

22L of gas, for 165km hmmmmmm.....7.5km/L.....nice
maybe try going to another dealership, all dealerships treat people differently.. i know that my dealership @ donway ford SVT are really nice.. they do like to do what most dealerships do when you have a problem though.. and say that since we can't replicate the problem it doesn't exist... but no matter what they will still take a look at it... i know you are quite far from Toronto... but i'm sure there are other dealerships you can goto around windsor.. hope this helps!
plugged cat eh?...maybe ill have to look into that as well. my car is getting some pretty wacky mpg's lately..

i have also noticed just today that when my car idles. no weird noises, but when i rev it the slightest i get a shhhhhh sound. its not wilddly loud but you can hear it...... any ideas ?
2001 ZX3..
Mods - Coming Soon
Tinited with Skull decal on front bumper passenger side.
:) :) :)
Stupid MAF sensor, changed that and the car runs as it did about 2 months ago. too bad it cost me $300. Its better than having to get that and a new Catalytic Converter for $1650.BLAH
laidman,Nov 10 2004, 09:50 PM Wrote:...... a new Catalytic Converter for $1650.
Is that what Ford wants for one? :huh: :lol:
2001 Focus ZTS 2004 WRX
"I'm just here for the camping"
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=687620231
TEAM P.I.T.A. FTW!
$1000 for that Cat, $300 for the MAF sensor +LABOUR&tax. It would have to be from the dealership, because it would be illegal to remove/replace a catalytic converter before its 5years/80,000km warranty. Criminal charges could be laid onto the mechanic/business who was apart of it. That and I don't want to do it myself in the cold. That was also the best price for a stock cat. I could have gone with a high flo cat(aftermarket) that would be a hell of alot cheaper about $350.
2001 ZTS,Nov 10 2004, 05:54 PM Wrote:
I paid 75$ bucks for my Vibrant High flow cat.
[Image: ncclogo.jpg]
Flofocus,Nov 10 2004, 05:16 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Nov 10 2004, 05:54 PM Wrote:
I paid 75$ bucks for my Vibrant High flow cat.
but is it a direct bolt on??? Random Technology High Flow Cat does